Who are the 5 best live bands you've ever seen?

Due to being from a small town I have only ever seen a few truly great acts. I will list them.

1) Wilco (duh)

2) Sufjan Stevens was magical, right after the Illinois madeness, in a beautiful century old church. He played most of Seven Swans. Plus there was a raccoon outside when I was in line.

3) The Rentals reunion was surprisingly good

4) Magnolia Electric Co was really solid

5) My Morning Jacket - It was 2003, I was 15, loved Nirvana, and was there to see the Foo Fighters. I will never forget hearing those guitar licks to One Big Holiday again. That was the moment everything changed. T

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe I forgot about Jenny Lewis/Watson Twins/M. Ward/Conor Oberst (yuck) in a beautiful converted church in NYC. That was an event more than a show....the seats were set up like we were in church with programs and everything. Jenny and the twins came from the back of the church and out of sight, slowly walking up the aisle singing "Run Devil Run". I got chills. Then when she did "Born Secular" solo on the piano I actually teared up. The whole experience was was so beautiful.

i've heard a lot of people rave about their shows

i saw them once and they couldn't have been more excrutiatingly dull

sounded like 10th-rate watered-down rush without the songs

i totally don't get sloan

oh, no!

they are not that bad... :no

i love sloan :canada

Sondre Lerche

One of my all time favorites, but I've only seen him solo (which I think I'd prefer just because it allows him more space to show off his amazing guitar ability). Would like to see him with the Faces Down though...

A rare occurrence. I caught them in 1993. You?

Wow, I missed all these comments. Well, I caught Steely Dan for the first time around 1993 too. It was in Providence, RI. Fantastic show.

In more recent incarnations, I have seen them 2 times, both at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater, where the sound is absolutely incredible. Saw them in May 2007 and June 2008.

Here's a review for the June 2008 show:

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/06/10/205532.php

DEWD! I don't even know you, but I love you. :worship

Drunk behind the piano, 'roided up with a pony tail and a guitar, or riddled with the big C?

If I could go back in time to see any dead musician live in their prime, he would be my choice (sounds like another thread there)

Any standout live tunes that you remember?

Oh, man, Warren Zevon was great. The first time I saw him was in 1987. It was a show that Binghamton University won from MTV (?), and featured a whole bunch of weird bands. Warren was the headliner, and I'd only known him from Werewolves and Excitable Boy at that time. When he played Carmelita, I was hooked forever.

I next caught him at Toad's Place in New Haven, 5/2/93. That was the tour that produced the live solo album, I believe. He switched between guitar and keyboards throughout the night. The standouts of the guitar songs were Splendid Isolation, Detox Mansion, and Searching for a Heart. On the piano, I was totally thrilled to hear Desperadoes Under the Eaves and Frank & Jesse James.

I saw him do a mini-show for about 7 bucks on 2/2/96 at a club in the Ybor district of Tampa called The Rubb (now defunct). Hearing him sing Werewolves of Ybor -- and mispronounce it as EYE-bor instead of EE-bor -- was a hilarious highlight. He did a pretty good Excitable Boy that night too, and he played The Hula Hula Boys, which was probably pretty rare.

The last time I saw him was 12/13/00. His powers had diminished, though it was still a decent show. Very dark period ... lots of songs like My Shit's Fucked Up and Don't Let Us Get Sick. Still, looking at the setlist, it's pretty stellar: Carmelita, Frank & Jesse, The French Inhaler ... I guess I was lucky to see him that many times.

I prefer to remember him as he was for the other shows. I'll never forget that Toad's Place show, that's for sure. He was on fire that night.

He switched between guitar and keyboards throughout the night. The standouts were all guitar songs: Splendid Isolation, Detox Mansion, and Searching for a Heart.

I prefer to remember him as he was for the other shows. I'll never forget that Toad's Place show, that's for sure. He was on fire that night.

Awesome! You pretty much saw him in all three incarnations!

My favorite from the guitar period is "The Indifference of Heaven" just amazingly sad, cutting lyrics. And "Carmelita", as you said... wow.

A very underrated lyricist IMHO. Desperados Under the Eaves... phew... forget about it.

His memoirs that his ex, Crystal, put out a few years ago was pretty interesting. You should check it out if you haven't already. I think it's called "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead"

Bob Mould Band

Which Bob Mould band? Workbook/Black Sheets of Rain, Last Dog & Pony Show, or current incarnation?

I can't believe I forgot NRBQ.

I was excited when they opened for R.E.M. back in '90 or so because I'd heard so many great things about them, but they pretty much blew. Maybe drunkenly going through the motions as R.E.M. was just hitting their arena-rock peak and the fans had no idea who they were, but I was sorely disappointed.

Honestly, I haven't seen a great enough variety of shows that I should be making a call on this, but whatever.

Flaming Lips (the happiest day of my life!)

Wilco

The Polyphonic Spree (first time seeing them was the second-happiest day of my life)

Of Montreal

Manu Chao

Which Bob Mould band? Workbook/Black Sheets of Rain, Last Dog & Pony Show, or current incarnation?

i saw one of the early Workbook shows and i've never seen a performer so venomous...Mould had a great band too, Anton Fier on drums, Tony Maimone on bass and the guy from the dB's on guitar. killer.

REM-85/86

The Church

Husker Du

Guided By Voices

Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians

i like your style. i love all of those bands, but unfortunately have only seen The Church and Husker Du once a piece.