Live or Studio Album: Which do you like more?

Guest Hollinger.

I am to like the noise thing on the live recording of the first album in the studio setting. It is not unlike the third album, in that the noise type of things drown out the silence at times, it is almost eerie. Sometimes I am also a huge fan of the stuff.

I am to like the noise thing on the live recording of the first album in the studio setting. It is not unlike the third album, in that the noise type of things drown out the silence at times, it is almost eerie. Sometimes I am also a huge fan of the stuff.

Yeah, I know what you mean... the live versions are expansive and allow further creativity and opportunity, but there are some effects that only a studio can create (hushed vocals on Kamera, etc.) The little things like that are nice.

Studio by hundreds of miles.

EDIT: Ha - I forgot this question was, by virtue of where it was asked, about Wilco. I was answering in general. As far as Wilco, I would vote for a tie. Depends on my mood and the album. AGIB and SBS songs, in particular, are spectacular live even though I'm not entirely sold on the studio albums. But for the previous few records, I definitely prefer the studio versions.

This is SUCH a loaded question. IATTBYH, Poor Places, Radio Cure... a bunch of others are all MUCH better in the studio to me. But most of the other album (Summerteeth and BT most notably) suffer from what I like call horrible production and are pretty much unlistenable to me. In the end, I'd have to say: draw.

This is SUCH a loaded question. IATTBYH, Poor Places, Radio Cure... a bunch of others are all MUCH better in the studio to me. But most of the other album (Summerteeth and BT most notably) suffer from what I like call horrible production and are pretty much unlistenable to me. In the end, I'd have to say: draw.

Total agreement... nothing beats the work on Poor Places. I feel like IATTBYH has really evolved since the studio version, which I loved. However, I feel that A Ghost Is Born was really expanded live. I prefer those live, and it's also nice to hear Jeff's presently developed voice sing the older songs. I do think that Summerteeth had some great aspects in the studio though.

A bulk of my music listening is done in the car or at work, in those two scenarios I'd say 75% of the listening is from live recordings. When I'm home and wanna chill out its almost always studio (less passive listening environment lends towards a better studio experience). This goes for not only Wilco but most of my go to bands

A bulk of my music listening is done in the car or at work, in those two scenarios I'd say 75% of the listening is from live recordings. When I'm home and wanna chill out its almost always studio (less passive listening environment lends towards a better studio experience). This goes for not only Wilco but most of my go to bands

Yeah, I'm listening to the studio version of Reservations now, and it's great... A really nice way to wind down. When I'm in the car, I just wanna blast the energy of the live shows though.

Album by Album...

AM (songs were better live particularly with the newer lineups)

BT (generally better live, though it's a toss up on a few songs)

ST (the uptempo stuff is better live particularly after Glenn joined, the songs like She's A Jar, Pieholden Suite, We're Just Friends, and In a Future Age are all better on the record)

YHF (studio)

AGIB (could go either way here, but I think I like the studio versions a little more)

SBS (live).

--Mike

sometimes i cant even listen to studio versions of some songs because the live ones are so much better.

You're absolutely right.

One example, My Morning Jacket's Okonokos....can't listen to the studio versions after listening to this masterpiece.

With all due respect to Ken Coomer, the more I think about it, I feel all of the songs recorded on the albums before Glenn joined the band sound better live post-2001, because of what Glenn brings to each song, and then after it's the studio versions with the exception of some assorted tracks on AGIB and SBS.

--Mike

I think I'm in the minority here, but I can honestly say that I have always struggled with live stuff. I always feel like it is a reproduction of the album but with mistakes and poor sound quality. Now that being said, I love seeing music live and probably three of my favority records ever were recorded "live" with few overdubs. But actually sitting down and listening to Kicking Television for example does little for me.

With this lineup, live mostly. They are different creatures and I need both, but the extra energy that comes with a live show makes me lean that way.

With this lineup, live mostly. They are different creatures and I need both, but the extra energy that comes with a live show makes me lean that way.

I agree, but a lot of that is due to the fact that the current lineup has only done Sky Blue Sky in the studio. I love that record, but it did not involve the band using that kind of energy. I guess we'll see what direction the new record takes, but I will love it unconditionally.

Studio by hundreds of miles.

EDIT: Ha - I forgot this question was, by virtue of where it was asked, about Wilco. I was answering in general. As far as Wilco, I would vote for a tie. Depends on my mood and the album. AGIB and SBS songs, in particular, are spectacular live even though I'm not entirely sold on the studio albums. But for the previous few records, I definitely prefer the studio versions.

I agree. I think it is entirely based upon the mood I am in. If I want to really rock out, I'll throw in a live recording (usually from the 08 tour). But if I am in a relaxed mood or whatever, the studio is the way to go.

my opinion at least...

Guest Gym Teacher Man

I'd rather see Wilco play live with my own eyes than anything else. But if I'm listening at home, I'll listen to the albums far more than I'll listen to live recordings.

Mixed bag for me as well, depending on the song. In general, I find myself listening more to live shows than studio.

Via Chicago live is a near-religious experience, and the studio version doesn't come close.

I prefer many of YHF tracks on the studio version than live.

Etc, etc...

Mixed bag for me as well, depending on the song. In general, I find myself listening more to live shows than studio.

Via Chicago live is a near-religious experience, and the studio version doesn't come close.

I prefer many of YHF tracks on the studio version than live.

Etc, etc...

I hear that, Via Chicago on Kicking Television is amazing, and it was even more epic seeing it in person at the Pageant.