Tom Waits News Update!

:dancing

March 11th, 2009

TOM WAITS� ORPHANS GOES GOLD! Vinyl Version Coming Soon, Tom Writing Music & Filming �The Book of Eli�

TOM WAITS latest 3 CD set�Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards�has been certified gold by the RIAA� and will be released on vinyl in the not-too-distant future. He has also collaborated with Kool Keith on N.A.S.A.�s recently released The Spirit of Apollo, which also features such diverse artists as David Byrne, Karen O and Ol� Dirty Bastard. As for new material, Waits and his long time collaborator and wife, Kathleen Brennan, have begun writing new songs, which they plan to record this summer for an upcoming CD. (No release date at this time.)

Of Orphans, Bill Flanagan stated on CBS SUNDAY MORNING: �No contemporary musician embodies the twin virtues of elegance and piracy better than Tom Waits. He is a gravel-voiced poet, the Edward Hopper of rock n� roll.� Elsewhere in MOJO, the preeminent music magazine of the UK, declared: �Mojo Instant Classic..Masterpiece isn�t the right word for such a profusion of profound delights�exhibition is better�With his unfussy brushstrokes, umber hues, and humanely honest delight in warts and all, he is the Rembrandt of modern music.�

Currently, Tom Waits is in the midst of filming The Book of Eli, directed by Albert and Allen Hughes (From Hell, Dead Presidents, Menace II Society, among others). Eli is a post-apocalyptic Western, in which a lone man fights his way across America in order to protect a sacred book that holds the secrets to saving mankind. The film stars Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman with Tom Waits in a small role as �Engineer.� This will mark Waits� second teaming with Oldman as Waits� played Renfeld to Oldman�s Count Dracula in the Francis Ford Coppola version of the classic vampire film.

In other film news, Waits stars as Mr. Nick (the devil) opposite Christopher Plummer in Terry Gilliam�s The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, which is also Heath Ledger�s last film. Due to Heath�s premature death, his unfinished roll was taken on by Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell. The fantastical morality tale set in the present day also features Lily Cole and Verne Troyner. The film looks to premiere at Cannes and open worldwide later this year.

http://www.antilabelblog.com/?p=1513

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a related issue, I have just started reading the new Tom Waits Biography 'Lowside of the Road'. Its a 600 page monster of a book and is a very good read. Books on Tom Waits are pretty thin on the ground because he is notoriously private.

On a related issue, I have just started reading the new Tom Waits Biography 'Lowside of the Road'. Its a 600 page monster of a book and is a very good read. Books on Tom Waits are pretty thin on the ground because he is notoriously private.

where can I get it? I didn't think it was out yet.

Those pictures look amazing. He's done some great character acting over the years. His appearances in 'Fisher King' and 'Mystery Men' were quality. Wasn't this 'Parnassus' film the one Heath Ledger was filming when he died?

Those pictures look amazing. He's done some great character acting over the years. His appearances in 'Fisher King' and 'Mystery Men' were quality. Wasn't this 'Parnassus' film the one Heath Ledger was filming when he died?

He has had some great film characters over the years. His roles in "Down By Law" and "Wristcutters" A Love Story" were excellent as well!

And yep this is Heath Ledger's last film and he did die during the filming. That is why Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law all stepped in the same role in order for the film to be completed.

After the Masada show at Yoshi’s, I overheard a guy talking to bassist extraordinaire Greg Cohen, who along with accompanying Ornette Coleman as of late was part of the great New York band on Rain Dogs, Frank’s Wild Years and Swordfishtrombones. “Hey, guess who I played with the other week?” the guy asked. “Waits. Went up to his place and rehearsed.”

“Oh?” asked Cohen. “New material?”

It seems so. In addition to finally releasing Orphans on vinyl soon, Tom Waits’ publicist confirms that he is writing, rehearsing, mangling, fixing and re-mangling new material for an album to be released in the sometime-maybe-this-year-who-knows future. Recording is anticipated sometime this summer. Waits, of course, was last seen snapping photos of the brimming crowd that gathered en masse at his daughter Kellesimone’s art show in Santa Rosa.

http://www.bohemian.com/citysound/?p=1731

I'll have to remember that....it's my anniversary, and would be the perfect gift for the husband.

It's my birthday and it would be the perfect gift for me too so buy two.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:w00t :dancing :rock

http://abucketofashes.blogspot.com/2009/09/tom-waits-live-lp.html

Tom Waits: Glitter and Doom Live' album on the way [LP too]

It's official, Tom Waits has chosen five of my photographs to appear on the live album he's releasing this fall. Tom Waits: Glitter & Doom Live is a collection of songs taken from his recent tour through the US and Europe. ANTI- records has informed me that one of the images will run as a full 12" panel on the inside of the gate fold LP jacket. This is an innocent dream. Tom Waits has had a huge effect on my creative development. I discovered the music he recorded on Asylum records in the darker years of my early twenties and he's been with me ever since. In June of '08 I traveled to Columbus, Ohio to photograph his performance. The work was published on Phawker, the excellent blog run by knowledgeable music journalist Jonathan Valania, with an essay by the inimitable Jonathan Michals. The essays on Tom Waits penned by Valania have appeared in Magnet Magazine as well as Innocent When You Dream: The Tom Waits Reader, with a foreward by Frank Black. As a collector of his vinyl LP's, being included in the history of creative album photography from 1971 - the present is a tremendous honor. I'll post more information when I can disclose the details of the album. If you haven't seen Tom's creative press conference revealing his tour, check it out below, its worth the three minutes.

One of the photos chosen for the album.

Glitter&DoomAlbum.jpg

A new Tom Waits live record is great news. Last one was 'Big Time' so we were due one. Those shows were pretty special so it will be nice to have a copy.

I was just thinking the other day how crazy it is that he only has one live album out! I mean “Big Time” is an awesome record, but considering how he is famous for his live performances, it just has boggled my mind that there is only one out there. Now with “Big Time” being over 20 years old, I do think it’s a great time for another one! Can't wait to see the tracklist!

• 2 weeks later...