Tom Waits News Update!

^^^ Yeah... can't wait for that!! With Waits and Wilson's other collaborations; "The Black Rider," "Alice" and "Woyzeck!" This is sure to be something special!! I'm really hoping though that we get another Waits album with this like we did the others!! :dancing

Also, in other Tom Waits related news:

You can listen to Tom doing "Tootie Ma is a Big Fine Thing" from the album "Preservation." The album benefits the preservation hall and its music! Listen to Tom and all the other great artists involved by listening to the entire album stream.

http://preservationabenefitalbum.com/about.aspx

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:dancing :worship

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Album rumours

Can we expect a new Waits album soon? We just might, if you believe Jim Jarmusch. The movie director talks to Pitchfork about the All Tomorrow's Parties concerts in New York, which he curates for one day.

'I asked Tom Waits to headline early on, but he thought he would have a new record done, and it got [moved] back, so he's still working.'

The ATP New York takes places at Kutsher's Country Club in Monticello, New York, September 3-5.

http://eyeballkid.blogspot.com/

yeah i am kinda pissed that Jim couldn't get either Neil or Waits for the festival...there is no real headliner for Sunday, which makes the $250 weekend pass a bit of a tougher swallow...i mean, i'm psyched to see Altar played by Boris and Sunn O))) but it's not the kind of Sunday headliner they had for the other years (My Bloody Valentine in '08, Flaming Lips last year).

corbijn_waits_m_488_446841t.jpg

Fans of Tom Waits can expect to see a whole lot more of him in the upcoming book Waits/Corbijn - Photographs 1977-2010. A joint effort with Dutch photographer/director Anton Corbijn, the book is set to be released in October 2010.

The book spans their 30-year relationship and features 200 iconic color and duotone portraits of Waits taken by Corbijn. While initially slated for an October 2009 release, it was pushed back a year, but for good reason. Publishers are adding a 49-page supplement of Waits' own images, writing, and lyrics from his songs. Editions will be available in English and German. Waits announced the upcoming release of the book on September 1 via Twitter.

A selection of Corbijn's photographs from the book will be on display at De Stadsschouwburg in Amsterdam from September 22 to October 12 during the staging of Shakespeare's Richard III, which incorporates music by Waits and his wife, American singer-songwriter Kathleen Brennan.

Waits recently played alongside Denzel Washington in the film The Book of Eli and is currently working on a new stage musical with director and long-time collaborator Robert Wilson and playwright Martin McDonagh. Corbijn, who has directed music videos for U2, Nirvana, and Coldplay, directed the film The American, starring George Clooney and released in the US this month and internationally throughout the fall.

For more information and to preorder a copy of the book (€75), visit the publisher's website: http://www.schirmer-mosel.com/corbijn/

source [link]

corbijn_waits_m_488_446841t.jpg

Fans of Tom Waits can expect to see a whole lot more of him in the upcoming book Waits/Corbijn - Photographs 1977-2010. A joint effort with Dutch photographer/director Anton Corbijn, the book is set to be released in October 2010.

The book spans their 30-year relationship and features 200 iconic color and duotone portraits of Waits taken by Corbijn. While initially slated for an October 2009 release, it was pushed back a year, but for good reason. Publishers are adding a 49-page supplement of Waits' own images, writing, and lyrics from his songs. Editions will be available in English and German. Waits announced the upcoming release of the book on September 1 via Twitter.

A selection of Corbijn's photographs from the book will be on display at De Stadsschouwburg in Amsterdam from September 22 to October 12 during the staging of Shakespeare's Richard III, which incorporates music by Waits and his wife, American singer-songwriter Kathleen Brennan.

Waits recently played alongside Denzel Washington in the film The Book of Eli and is currently working on a new stage musical with director and long-time collaborator Robert Wilson and playwright Martin McDonagh. Corbijn, who has directed music videos for U2, Nirvana, and Coldplay, directed the film The American, starring George Clooney and released in the US this month and internationally throughout the fall.

For more information and to preorder a copy of the book (€75), visit the publisher's website: http://www.schirmer-mosel.com/corbijn/

source [link]

thanks for posting. this looks very cool. i'm sure there are some awesome photos in there. i love some of tom's more harrowing album covers...Blood Money comes to mind;)

thanks for posting. this looks very cool. i'm sure there are some awesome photos in there. i love some of tom's more harrowing album covers...Blood Money comes to mind;)

Yeah, thanks for that. It looks like an amzing book. If you type Tom Waits into google images you get a good indication of the wealth of incredible photos that could be included in this package.

• 1 month later...

There are some nice Vinyl re-issues on pre-order over on Tom's official website. 'Closing Time', 'Heart of Saturday Night', 'small Change' and 'Nighthawks' are all to be released next month on limited edition (1000 copies) red vinyl. Nice.

• 1 month later...

There are some nice Vinyl re-issues on pre-order over on Tom's official website. 'Closing Time', 'Heart of Saturday Night', 'small Change' and 'Nighthawks' are all to be released next month on limited edition (1000 copies) red vinyl. Nice.

Waits red vinyl

Looks like the going price is $26.99 right now.

Waits should release these albums on regular old black vinyl for ten bucks each. They are highly sought after used. At that price and on regular vinyl he would sell a ton and push down the price of used LPs considerably.

LouieB

Waits should release these albums on regular old black vinyl for ten bucks each. They are highly sought after used. At that price and on regular vinyl he would sell a ton and push down the price of used LPs considerably.

LouieB

For that price, I'd complete my collection. I come across at least one of those titles in the used bins probably every other time I go to the record store. $10 sounds great to me. I wouldn't pay more than $15 for any of them, new or used.

9780292726499.jpg

http://www.utexas.edu/utpress/books/obrhar.html

Tom Waits Combines Homelessness and Poetry in First Book 'Hard Ground"

If there was ever a musician worthy of calling himself a poet, it's Tom Waits. So it should be no surprise that the eccentric troubadour has announced the release of 'Hard Ground,' a book that will combine his poetry with photographer Michael O'Brien's images of the homeless.

The book, which is modeled after 1941's 'Let Us Now Praise Famous Men' -- a collaboration between poet James Agee and Walker Evans, who supplied shots of Depression-era farmers -- marks Waits publishing debut and will be released this March.

Publisher University of Texas explains the ethos behind the book as such: "[O'Brien will] create a portrait of homelessness that impels us to look into the eyes of people who live on the hard ground and recognize our common humanity. For Waits, who has spent decades writing about outsiders, this subject is familiar territory."

While musicians playing around with poetry doesn't always produce the most dazzling outcome -- Jewel's 1998 'A Night Without Armor' was about as riveting as an in-flight safety manual, while Wilco's Jeff Tweedy didn't fare much better in parts of his 2004 collection, 'Adult Head' -- Waits is arguably the best candidate to join Leonard Cohen as a double-threat poet and songwriter.

And despite his previous trepidations about the artform -- "Poetry is a very dangerous word," Waits said in a 1975 interview, according to TwentyFourBit. "I don't like the stigma that comes with being called a poet. So I call what I'm doing an improvisational adventure or an inebriational travelogue" -- the prolific singer-songwriter admits that he was compelled to embark on the poetry project by a desire to communicate the "common humanity" of people who live on the streets. It is his hope, as well as O'Brien's, that the poetry and images will "communicate on their own terms, rather than merely illustrate each other."

'Hard Ground' is Waits' first collaboration with O'Brien, but the acclaimed photographer has frequently taken pictures of the musician, and also shot the cover of his 2009 album, 'Glitter and Doom Live.'

Hiya Raindog. Any word on the Anton C. book ever seeing the light of day? I was hoping it would be released by Christmas, but no dice.

Hey there!

Last I heard the date was March 2011, but now I find this...

Wednesday 15 June, 2011. Collector's Edition in a slipcase, limited edition of 6,000 copies. Photographs by Anton Corbijn, curiosities by Tom Waits.

Whenever the date, we better get our hands on a copy fast! :thumbup Though, I'm afraid to even think about what the price will be.

Corbijn_Waits_648_NEU_NEU.jpg

Hey there!

Last I heard the date was March 2011, but now I find this...

Whenever the date, we better get our hands on a copy fast! :thumbup Though, I'm afraid to even think about what the price will be.

Corbijn_Waits_648_NEU_NEU.jpg

Ooh... that looks *nice*! Probably looking at at least 100-120 clams. Here's hoping for another tour, too!

For that price, I'd complete my collection. I come across at least one of those titles in the used bins probably every other time I go to the record store. $10 sounds great to me. I wouldn't pay more than $15 for any of them, new or used.

Yea, if the large record corps(e) were really interested in reviviing the music industry they would reissue all this kind of back catelogue stuff on cheap vinyl and get an entirely new generation of music buying public back into the stores. They think they are doing it by reissuing collectable releases (as mentioned on red or vinyl or in limited runs), but really the way to do it is make it available daily and in large numbers and capture the 20 and 30 (and maybe 40) year olds who want these titles but aren't going to pay 1/4 a C note for the fucking things.

LouieB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...