Tom Waits News Update!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody have any idea why there are no DVDs of Tom Waits in concert? I know there are a couple of bootlegs out there, but it would seem that someone with that cinematic a style would be a natural for a performance film or two. I can only assume that it's Tom's wish not to have anything released, but any idea why?

I work one day a week at a very eclectic and comprehensive video rental place with an excellent music collection, and all we've got is Under Review (a snoozefext), Under the Influence (better, but still mainly talking heads and analysis) and One Star Shining (a documentary about the early years).I'm on a mission to acquire some kind of performance film. Am I missing something--something obtainable?

I have a few Waits live DVDs. Can't remember the names of them at the moment, but one is a VH1 Storytellers performance.

I have watched the 'Big Time' movie a few times but that has never made it to DVD. I like Wait's policy of limiting the amount of product on the market. It makes the live shows feel more special.

I have mentioned this a few times but he really has managed his career to perfection. Its only my opinion but he has never made a bad album. The other big hitters (Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Van Morisson etc) are all genius but have put out their fair share of really, really bad records. Wait's is just a bit classier and careful what comes out. I love Neil Young but a bit of self-control would be nice. We don't need a new record every year. With Tom its quality over quantity always.

• 7 months later...

I've been trying to get tickets to either of these for days now and so far - no luck.

TOM WAITS will appear on late night television for Letterman on July 9 and Fallon on July 10. He will be talking with the hosts and giving the first live performance of songs from his latest recording, Bad As Me. Musicians joining Waits on stage include his son Casey Waits on drums, long time bassist Larry Taylor, guitarist David Hidalgo, keyboardist Augie Myers and guitarist Big Bill Morganfield.

So yeah, I am officially going to see TOM WAITS, July 9th on the David Letterman show!!! This will be my first time seeing him perform live! I don't even care that he's only doing one song! I've been trying to see the guy live for almost a decade!

Way to go, RainDogToo! Get in line early and get right up front! So lucky!

I wish he would do one of those hour-long "Live on Letterman" shows like Wilco did in the past. Those are great.

Thanks, Wendy! I plan on being in line the second I get to the theatre! Also, I have a cousin that has connections to the show and she said I might be able to get backstage! Though, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Yeah, since there are no tour plans, I really wish he'd do the "Live on Letteman" thing, too!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Also, this...

Read an interview in a Norwegian magazine today, about the Corbijn book.

The end of the interview (by phone), goes like this:

- So, when will we see you in Norway again?

- Some day. Maybe not in June, but I want to go on the road again, even to far away places like Norway. But right now I have no plans to tour, he says, and reveals that he is currently writing songs for a new album.

• 2 months later...

So, I had to share this with all you other Rain Dogs here! Okay, so, the story goes, I've searched for this poster since first becoming a Tom Waits fan, more than a decade ago. I've always love this film, which has yet to have a proper DVD release. I want very badly for it to be in The Criterion Collection, so much so, that I created a Facebook page and called it "Get Tom Waits' BIG TIME to The Criterion Collection." I set out to prove just how many Waits fans want a DVD release of this Waits classic! So, a few weeks ago, the director of the film, Chris Blum, 'Liked' my page and sent me an email asking ME what he could do to help! We talked briefly about working with Tom and getting the film right to the folks at Criterion. But the best part is, after all these years, I finally have the poster signed and given to me by the director himself, no less! If my place should ever go up in flames, this will be the first item I grab!

Waitsbigtimeposter.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It appears that my library is getting in the boot business - they had a CD copy of Waits performance from the Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL, USA on August 9, 2006 - the only time I was saw him perform.

I have a copy on my hard drive - though I am not sure if its the same source, since I haven't listened to it in awhile, though it probably is.

Finally got around to watch the Letterman bit - good tune, great interview. It was weird having Clooney in the immediate background.

Wasn't Clooney handcuffed to Letterman?

Yes --- I didn't see the Clooney interview, so I don't know what led to the handcuffing - but the whole bit made the interview more entertaining - to me at least.

That's totally weird. 

When I saw it in the computer system , I was hoping it was going to be an official release, that I somehow missed -- but I looked into it and figured it wasn't - but I had it brought into my local library for kicks to listen to it. Maybe someone who works at the library is a huge Tom Waits fan, ripped it and donated it --- hopefully they didn't spend money on it.