Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Tom Waits Fan,

Stay tuned next Monday for an e-mail inviting you to be one of the first

to hear the new Waits' record, Bad As Me. You will also get a chance

to invite a few friends to hear it too. Bad As Me comes out on October

24th everywhere.

ANTI-

I'm quite impressed that Tom has managed to keep the new record from 'leaking'. It's due in less than two weeks and there is no sign of it on t'internet. I have the vinyl in pre-order and, without the temptation of a leak' will settle down and give it due attention on release day.

On a side note I have just picked up the new re-release of Frank's Wild Years on vinyl (great name for an album!). I never used to enjoy that record as much as the two that preceeded it but I'm loving it at the moment. 'Telephone Call From Istambul' is a great tune.

first, i highly recommend that interview. what a way with words/analogies. dude is oddly interesting/deep and funny.

i enjoyed the one listen to the stream....

never got into him, but i've always WANTED to like him. i had swordfishtrombones on a cassette years ago. i always ask what's the best one, or the easiest/best one for a newbie. maybe it's swordfish, maybe it's Frank's Wild Years, a lot of people recommend Mule Variations as the best starting point. i have no clue. but i kinda dug the new one. and he seems cool as hell.

first, i highly recommend that interview. what a way with words/analogies. dude is oddly interesting/deep and funny.

i enjoyed the one listen to the stream....

never got into him, but i've always WANTED to like him. i had swordfishtrombones on a cassette years ago. i always ask what's the best one, or the easiest/best one for a newbie. maybe it's swordfish, maybe it's Frank's Wild Years, a lot of people recommend Mule Variations as the best starting point. i have no clue. but i kinda dug the new one. and he seems cool as hell.

I started out on the early years compilations, then on to Mule Variations and subsequently used that to get my older brother into Waits.

Why is no one talking about this new album. I for one think it's pretty good but very reminiscent of other songs on other albums by Tom. I feel lucky to have it nonetheless.

I'm really digging the new one. Have been listening at least a few times a day all week.

Why is no one talking about this new album. I for one think it's pretty good but very reminiscent of other songs on other albums by Tom. I feel lucky to have it nonetheless.

I think it's my favourite album this year. New Years Eve is one of his best songs ever.

I think it's my favourite album this year. New Years Eve is one of his best songs ever.

I don't know if I'd say it's his best ever, but yeah, I do love it very much. That and Hell Broke Luce are my favorites on the album. Also, the bonus tracks are great too.

Another hole in my music appreciation. After Tom started being a combination of Captain Beefheart and Howlin' Wolf, I just don't get it.

If somebody wants to take the time to tell me what I should listen for, I would give it a shot.

Another hole in my music appreciation. After Tom started being a combination of Captain Beefheart and Howlin' Wolf, I just don't get it.

If somebody wants to take the time to tell me what I should listen for, I would give it a shot.

I don't know man it's kind of you either get it or you don't. Listen for the old rundown porch. Listen for the smoky pool hall. Listen for the gin joint at 3 In the morning. Listen for the beat up rusty old truck. Listen for the funhouse mirrors and the bearded lady. Listen for the dark puddles reflecting the street lights in some shadowy back alleyway.

The protypical, post-Swordfish Waits song has so much going on that has nothing to do with Waits' voice. Try to ignore it for a while. Listen to those guitars...truly some of the coolish solos in rock music ever. Amazing percussion. That eerie, Kurt Weill vibe that highlights so many of his great songs. Interesting, atmospheric lyrics...ok, it might be hard to appreciate those while you're in the ignore-the-voice phase. Years ago I realized some of the coolish sounds I'd ever heard were in these songs...and early on, I remember thinking, jeesh, imagine how great they'd be if this guy could sing. That didn't last long, of course...I came to love the growl, and the falsetto, and the croaks, and...and now I can't imagine anyone else doing vocals on these songs. Pick up Beautiful Maladies...it's a great sampler...and if that doesn't make you decide you have to own Rain Dogs, and Swordfishtrombone, and Frank's Wild Years, and Bone Machine, and a bunch others...well, at least you fought the good fight.

Mule Variations - skip the first 2 songs and you're ready for another addiction

Mule Variations - skip the first 2 songs and you're ready for another addiction

Funny how this taste thing works. Mule Variations is about the only post-Kathy Brennan Waits album that I don't really love. "Big in Japan" would be one of my few essential songs on there, and you're suggesting skipping that one. Your advice wouldn't have worked for me, but maybe it'll do the trick for others. Whatever brings them into the Waits fold is a good thing.

Funny how this taste thing works. Mule Variations is about the only post-Kathy Brennan Waits album that I don't really love. "Big in Japan" would be one of my few essential songs on there, and you're suggesting skipping that one. Your advice wouldn't have worked for me, but maybe it'll do the trick for others. Whatever brings them into the Waits fold is a good thing.

Yes the first two songs on Mule Variations are among my favorites.