• 1 year later...
  • Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

Hoping Betts decides to show.  

https://relix.com/news/detail/surviving-abb-members-confirm-50th-anniversary-the-brothers-celebration-at-msg/?utm_source=Relix+Daily&utm_campaign=dee6bbe533-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_01_03_04_51&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_486e6e4b54-dee6bbe533-27217083&mc_cid=dee6bbe533&mc_eid=a359e3b62c

Surviving Allman Brothers Band members Jaimoe, Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks, Oteil Burbridge and Marc Quinones will reunite on March 10 at Madison Square Garden to celebrate 50 years of the landmark band.

According to a statement, founding guitarist Dickey Betts will not be in attendance for this landmark “The Brothers” gig due to “prior commitments,” but the lineup will feature familial blood like drummer Duane Trucks of Widespread Panic and old pals like keyboardists Reese Wynans and Chuck Leavell (In fact, in the past, Wyans was considered to fill the slot of the late Gregg Allman before he joined the band.)

“Hard to believe it’s been five years since our final show at the Beacon. We had all talked about doing a final show at Madison Square Garden which never came to fruition. What a great way to honor 50 years of music and fulfill that wish at the same time,” Haynes said in a press statement.

“I’m so glad to get the chance to pay tribute to 50 years of the enduring music of the Allman Brothers Band. I’m blessed to have been a part of their story. It’s gonna be a night to remember,” Burbridge added.

After I posted Garden show info - i looked back through the thread and came across the below quote.  

Nice interview with Derek:

Derek Trucks Reflects on Gregg Allman. . .

Has anybody reached out to you to say, "We're going to put the Allmans back together in some form"?

I've heard rumors about a show or something. If it's a show for Gregg and his legacy, that's a different thing. If it's anything beyond a show, I would think the intention would be wrong. You can't have the Allman Brothers without Butch Trucks and Gregg Allman. Those are just irreplaceable spirits. And you can't have an Allman Brothers gig without an Allman brother. I've heard people try to argue that you can, but I'm not buying it. If Duane's not there, Gregg certainly better be there. There are a few bands out there right now that are using names that maybe shouldn't be. That's another discussion.

Yeah, I am guessing Betts wouldn't want to stand side by side with Trucks and Haynes and play - but it would be great to see him on the stage, at least. 

Would love for him to at least come out a play a rendition of Jessica with Chuck.

I was at that Zak Wylde show at a Great Woods and I was pissed. Dickey had gotten arrested or something after the previous show in Albany. They should have cancelled the Great Woods show. Zak was so out of place, with his bullseye guitar and strange prancing heavy metal act. I felt so ripped off I boycotted the band for several years.

Zakk is a goon. i hate his playing style. 

Yeah, I am guessing Betts wouldn't want to stand side by side with Trucks and Haynes and play - but it would be great to see him on the stage, at least. 

Would love for him to at least come out a play a rendition of Jessica with Chuck.

Since his dismissal from the Allmans, Betts has been a guest of Tedeschi Trucks Band during at least one of their Beacon runs, and sat in with the Phil & Friends lineup featuring Haynes a few times. He has no beef with either of those guys, and buried the axe with Gregg at the end. He has played with Jaimoe in recent years too. The beef was mainly with Butch, and I'd imagine there is just too much drama for him surrounding the whole Allmans thing.

• 2 months later...

I watched the webcast and thought it sounded great. Would love to see this lineup tour more, or any incarnation with Derek, Warren, and Oteil. Chuck was nice, not sure about his vocals on Blue Sky. Would be nice to have another singer in the band, but Warren was a natural on all the songs. 

I watched the webcast and thought it sounded great. Would love to see this lineup tour more, or any incarnation with Derek, Warren, and Oteil. Chuck was nice, not sure about his vocals on Blue Sky. Would be nice to have another singer in the band, but Warren was a natural on all the songs. 

Yeah, I was surprised that he took lead on the that, but I thought it sounded pretty good. He has somewhat that same vocal timbre as Betts. Not to mention it seem like a nice shout-out to Betts, by having Chuck sing it. 

• 2 years later...

Recently purchase the below. Great sounding record. Nice to finally have on it vinyl.

Started with the Hot 'Lanta side - cheers to A-Man.

The Allman Brothers - Live At Fillmore East Orig Pink Capricorn Monarch George Piros All 4 Sides

There have been some I did not get - but thought about it:  The Final Note (Painter's Mill 1971), Warner Theater 2005, Down in Texas '71, and Syria Mosque (1971).  I have been by the place where the last one was recorded. It's a parking lot now.

I did get the re-release of Bear's Fillmore East show (1970) and the Fillmore West '71 cd.

• 1 month later...

This adds little to nothing to the conversation, and is more like an excuse for me to post here for the first time in a long time, but I recently read an interview with Bill Frisell (not a musician one would necessarily associate with the Allmans) and his quote about the Allman Brothers was interesting to me.  I love when people are inspired by something and use that inspiration to create something drastically different, as Bill has.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/news/it-was-just-so-shocking-bill-frisell-recalls-seeing-jimi-hendrix-perform-in-1968

“By that time, my parents had moved to New Jersey and I was going to school in Greeley. I came to visit them during the Christmas break and ended up going to the Fillmore East to see Blood, Sweat & Tears."

“And the amazing thing was, some unknown band from Georgia was opening that night for Blood, Sweat & Tears called the Allman Brothers Band. This was before they had recorded anything. They came out and were like, ‘Oh, hi, we’re kind of nervous being in New York for the first time.’

“It was their Fillmore East debut and they just fuckin’ kicked ass! 

• 7 months later...

Been reading Brothers and Sisters: The Allman Brothers Band and the Inside Story of the Album That Defined the '70s

A decent read. The chapters on the Summer Jam at Watkins Glen were great. I am up to the point where Brothers and Sisters was  released. It seems like Betts was an asshole in the 70s, too. His wife and kid was not part of the Brothers and Sisters gatefold because Betts was pissed at his wife and kicked them out for a bit. 

Paperback Brothers and Sisters: The Allman Brothers Band and the Inside Story of the Album That Defined the '70s Book

Just finished listening to the Dead's December 12, 1973 show from the Omni in Atlanta where Jerry wishes Dickie a happy birthday, before the band heads into Sugar Magnolia. Alan Paul mention's it in the book. 

Alan Paul also mentions the ABB December 31, 1973 New Year's show at the Cow's Palace -- the last time Garcia played with Betts on stage. Not sure if I have listened to the whole show - I guess the Dead crew dosed the Allmans. 

Listening to the 12/31/73 Allman's show now --- glad people stopped lighting off firecrackers at shows. That would have drove me nuts.

The Lost Live Dead had a great post on this New Year's Show.

http://lostlivedead.blogspot.com/2012/12/december-31-1973-cow-palace-daly-city.html

My take on why they never played together again after this date is probably due to the Dead's hiatus after 74 and drugs.

20 hours ago, calvino said:

Listening to the 12/31/73 Allman's show now --- glad people stopped lighting off firecrackers at shows. That would have drove me nuts.

The Lost Live Dead had a great post on this New Year's Show.

http://lostlivedead.blogspot.com/2012/12/december-31-1973-cow-palace-daly-city.html

My take on why they never played together again after this date is probably due to the Dead's hiatus after 74 and drugs.

Probably lines up with Jerry calling Gregg a narc, which Gregg never got over. So yes, drugs. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...