I read somewhere, maybe wikipedia or iTunes, that the masters for Who's Next had been lost or destroyed or something. Not that I believe everything I read... :) Glad to hear those demos are pretty fleshed out and high quality, I'll look forward to hearing them.

Thank a lot for the sendspace offer. Glad to get your stoke going for the show!

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the show last night in Chicago, and they rocked. It was better than I expected. If you are going, you will not be disappointed. In addition, be sure to get there to catch the opening band (Vintage Trouble). Great night all around.

I read somewhere, maybe wikipedia or iTunes, that the masters for Who's Next had been lost or destroyed or something. Not that I believe everything I read... :) Glad to hear those demos are pretty fleshed out and high quality, I'll look forward to hearing them.

Thank a lot for the sendspace offer. Glad to get your stoke going for the show!

That seems unlikely but i guess it's possible. The thing with the Townshend demos is he kept the bass and drums pretty simple knowing they would be fully fleshed out. The guitar and piano work and vocals are all pretty developed. The zip file has Greyhound, Mary and Teenage Wasteland, wasnt sure if you had it. When I was a boy is it's own download. Enjoy!

http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/XNZctJ2qjf4xM3AFIskslw

I went to the show last night in Chicago, and they rocked. It was better than I expected. If you are going, you will not be disappointed. In addition, be sure to get there to catch the opening band (Vintage Trouble). Great night all around.

Thanks, cant wait. Will be seeing it in AC in feb on my bday too, great present.

I went through a heavy Lifehouse phase myself last year. I strongly recommend Ritchie Unterberger's book about the Lifehouse/Quadrophenia era Who: http://www.amazon.com/Fooled-Lifehouse-Quadrophenia-Genuine-Jawbone/dp/1906002355. Of all of the fanmade Lifehouse comps I've heard, this one is a favorite

Happy listening,

--Mike

edit: Link now works. 

I went through a heavy Lifehouse phase myself last year. I strongly recommend Ritchie Unterberger's book about the Lifehouse/Quadrophenia era Who: http://www.amazon.com/Fooled-Lifehouse-Quadrophenia-Genuine-Jawbone/dp/1906002355. Of all of the fanmade Lifehouse comps I've heard, this one is a favorite: http://crystalsphere1.blogspot.com/2011/05/who-lifehouse-2-cd.html.

Happy listening,

--Mike

I have that book, its a good one. That link is dead.

dtram, thanks for the sendspace, worked just fine.

mpolak21, on that crystal sphere blog do you have to download the music to get the tracklisting?  I didn't see it anywhere in the blogpost.  I'd like to see what versions/performances he chose and in what sequence.

Lots of different ideas out there amongst fans about what does and doesn't belong on Lifehouse, interesting stuff.

Speaking of the demos, the first Scoop is one of my favorite Pete albums. I got the album when it came out in 1983. I remember playing it all the time. Plus, it has great liner notes.

If you look at the Wikipedia page for the album, it lists Spike as Elvis Costello (as "Spike"). This is not correct.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to the non-Who's Next Lifehouse songs, including the ones you sent, dtram, thanks again and I've been enjoying them quite a bit. Some of the mellower ones sound more like Quadrophenia songs than Who's Next songs. I guess I'm saying I can hear the transition into that Quadrophenia kind of songs in these Lifehouse ones.

I also orderd yet another version of Who's Next, the two disc deluxe edition that has the live show on disc 2. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm looking forward to digesting that and seeing if some of those live versions might sound cool in a Lifehouse sequence.

And I watched Isle of Wight again this past weekend, it never fails to amaze me. Many highlights, but this time I was struck by the intensity of their performance in Water. Holeeey shiiite! No wonder Moon drove Pete batty, the dude never stopped talking in between songs, Pete had to fight to get a word in edgewise and Roger just looks bemused at the whole thing. The relationships in that band were certainly unique and interesting.

Anybody read Pete's new book and care to share their impressions of it and what his state of mind was like during the years 69-74? From what I've heard and read, he was troubled much of that time but still was writing all these great songs that sound like he had tapped into reserves of wisdom. I guess his Meher Baba learnings were helping?

I started reading it not long ago.  I have to say I will never hear A Quick One, While He's Away in the same way again - after reading his explanation of the song.

The second disc on that release has some songs from one of the Young Vic shows.

I have to say I will never hear A Quick One, While He's Away in the same way again - after reading his explanation of the song.

I'll have to check that out - definitely my favorite Who song.

I was thinking of picking up that book for an xmas gift for my wife's father. Kind of a selfish notion though - I'd be expecting to borrow it from him after he's done with it...

I was on the phone with the old man last night (before I had had a chance to watch the DVR). Dad and my late Mother are/were HUGE Who fans. I took 'em to see the band in '82. I asked him about the 12/12/12 concert. He was mightily impressed with The Stones, Mick in particular, but disappointed by The Who - actually he was bummed about Roger's voice - "He's lost it, son. He can't sing the songs right anymore".

Well, I watched last night, and I'm inclined to agree. Pete was fabulous imo but Roger couldn't hit the notes. I don't know if lowering the keys to the tunes is the right idea but it was kind of painful to see Rog struggling like that.

Yeah, Roger's voice has really been on decline for the last few years, I noticed it a lot at the Super Bowl show in 2010 and then the 12/12/12 concert. Such a shame, because even in recent years the Who could really take over a concert. Their performance for the 9/11 benefit while not quite Live at Leeds, certainly was a highlight.

--Mike

These guys are all approaching 70 years old.  NO one can sing like they used to at that age, even if they took the best of care of their pipes.

LouieB

My wife said he should have kept his shirt buttoned. :lol

I thought it was good - nothing like their 9/11 performance - but good none the less.

My wife said the same thing.....

LouieB

These guys are all approaching 70 years old.  NO one can sing like they used to at that age, even if they took the best of care of their pipes.

LouieB

I saw the 2nd to last concert that Ronnie James Dio performed, and his voice was STAGGERINGLY good. I was shocked at how great he sounded. He was 66 at the time.

Much of it has to do with Roger's vocal style - almost "operatic" (God I hate to use THAT word). Jagger could probably sing in his style for another 50 years - not nearly as much of a strain to do his thing.

There's a damn good reason while Plant nixed the Zep Reunion idea. He knows damn well that couldn't wail like he did 40 years ago. Apparently Roger doesn't feel the same about his music.

My wife said he should have kept his shirt buttoned. :lol

I thought it was good - nothing like their 9/11 performance - but good none the less.

He's been in shape since the early 70s. I always thought that was funny - the other three were doing the rock start thing, and he was at the gym.