• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know anything about Vintage Trouble, the opening band for The Who on this first leg of the Quad tour?

A rock-n-soul act from LA. Saw them in concert earlier this year at a small venue in Sydney and they put on a great show. Nothing particularly innovative but fun and energetic - especially their front man Ty Taylor who has a James Brown/Otis Redding thing happening. Kind of a surprising choice as an opening act for The Who I would say because their act seems taylor-made (ha!) for small clubs rather than arenas.

Here they are on the Jools Holland show last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsw4ipHcMvY

No wonder Joe is so well liked. Did he just go around giving great guitars away left and right? I believe he gave Page his "number 1" Les Paul as well.

Sold it to him for a fair price in the day. By today's standard I'm sure it's probably the best deal anybody has ever gotten on anything, ever.

It would be cool to see Pete sling around a Les Paul now and then, but they're not very friendly to the old fellas. I think he sounds really good on the stuff I've heard in the last 10-15 years.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.guardian....nshend-who-i-am

Good interview with a candid Pete.

I can remember watching a BBC fly on the wall documentary series about the Thames Police (one fo the first such series) when suddenly, there was Pete at the station for questioning. Quite shocked. Surprised he allowed to to be broadcast at the time - people thought less about invasions of privacy disclaimers and stuff then I suppose.

I had never really taken sides in the was he-wasn't he debate. I am inclined to believe him now.

With regards to the current Jimmy Saville (and others at the BBC yet to emerge) scandal, it would appear that that sort of thing was common - only yesterday I was nosing through a book (whose name escapes me )lunchtime at the bookshop made up of interviews with Led Zeppelin acquaintances. There it described it being extremely common in 'the scene' indulging in all sorts of things with obviously underage girls. Maybe the only difference was they were generally groupies who wanted to be there and (perhaps) knew what they were getting into. But still ... On that basis at the very least it does not seem fair to pick on Pete.

It was pretty damn cool. About an hour of Q&A (both from interviewer who's name I don't remember, and from the audience) and then a short acoustic set. No live signing, all the books were pre-signed, but I did wait out back afterwards. He came out after about 45 minutes and signed for a minute or two max. This is about as close as I got:

46287_10152160418175397_144825697_n.jpg

The show was great. Questions overall were pretty good (except one idiot that asked if Pete would 1. play something he hadn't played yet this week and 2. sign his guitar. Pete said no to both.) Pete gave fairly long almost rambling answers which was really cool after having watched all the Led Zeppelin news conferences recently and been inundated with short non-answers. He went fairly in depth into a lot of things about his childhood, writing process, interaction with other people/bands, the band itself, music these days, etc... I'll put up the recording in a day or two if anybody is interested.

He then played a short acoustic set consisting of a new instrumental, Drowned, Acid Queen, I'm One, and Won't Get Fooled Again with a Let My Love tease in it.

Definitely one of the cooler non-show type events I've been too. I mean it's fuckin Pete Townshend!