I had heard The Who were going to play. I guess I'll have to catch the video. And - Scary Spice. She is ok in my book.

:lol. If you dig the Quadrophenia era of the Who, I strongly recommend Ritchie Utenberger's book Won't Get Fooled Again: http://www.richieunterberger.com/Who70s.html. Which focuses on the Lifehouse sessions and Quad. Great insights to Pete's process and incredible creativity in that time.

--Mike

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh - it was alright. At least NBC showed most of it. We got to see Brian May tearing it up - that was cool.

I had heard The Who were going to play. I guess I'll have to catch the video. And - Scary Spice. She is ok in my book.

and just who the fuck is Jessie J and why was she so prominently featured? Guest vocalist with Queen? Really?

:lol. If you dig the Quadrophenia era of the Who, I strongly recommend Ritchie Utenberger's book Won't Get Fooled Again: http://www.richieunt...om/Who70s.html. Which focuses on the Lifehouse sessions and Quad. Great insights to Pete's process and incredible creativity in that time.

--Mike

I think I have read that book. The second rock book I ever owned (at the age of 12) - was The Who In Their Own Words. Which I still have, of course.

I think they actually aired it later that night. When they were about to leave Al Michaels/Bob C said that the Who would be on later...then when I saw schedule there was more stuff relating to Olympics which I recored but did not watch yet....After the Vet show and Local News..

The left out Ray Davies and Kate Bush among others....maybe they were on the later show...IDK

Watched the Quad documentary last night, great work as always by the BBC. I loved the scenes of the mixing board and hearing some of the tracks isolated and Roger's comments on how he hit that final perfect scream in Love, Reign O'er Me were really interesting. It has inspired me to pop on Quadrophenia at work today.

--Mike

Plus - he has been touring for the past couple of years.

Since I am hung up on sounds, I will say those drums sound like shit.

And I really wish Pete would go back to using Hi-Watt amps and Gibson guitars.

I suppose I am thinking of the great years of say - 1968-1973 or thereabouts. He was pretty much using SGs and Les Paul guitars during that period. There's a great idea for a book - a Who gear book like the Beatles and Grateful Dead books.

And I really wish Pete would go back to using Hi-Watt amps and Gibson guitars.

I'm afraid those days are long gone! I'm just glad the guy is playing electric guitar at all -- remember in the '90s when it looked like he would never play electric again, except for a stray song here and there?

Back in the day, I thought those Les Pauls with the numbers on them were the coolest friggin' things ever

5311095bde32d41588c19752096caa328a5c5ecc.jpg

I'm guessing that pic is from the Oct. '76 shows with The Dead - "Day On The Green" or some such.

• 4 weeks later...

Joe spent the better part of a good number of years pretty blitzed, so I suspect he gave away all sorts of stuff...perhaps in blackouts, at least part of the time. :lol

Yeah, he probably wishes he had a few of those 59 Les Pauls back!