The Who (official site)

The Who (Wikipedia entry)

The Who discography (basic)

The Hypertext Who

Joe Giorgianni's Who Page

The Who This Month

Whitefang's Who Site

This guy has the biggest collection of Who stuff in the world.

Quadrophenia.net

The Who - Official Forums

Pete's guitars - and other gear

Long Live Rock

Long Live Rock is dedicated to providing the ultimate Who website where fans can share and archive information and content for the worlds greatest rock and roll band. We hope you enjoy visiting and contributing to the various areas of the website.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some DVDs:

The Kids Are Alright DVD

Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival 1970 DVD

The Who At Kilburn: 1977 DVD

Amazing Journey: The Story of the Who DVD

And coming soon:

'30 YEARS MAXIMUM R AND B' TO BE REISSUED AS 'MAXIMUM R & B LIVE'

THE WHO - MAXIMUM R & B LIVE

30 Years Max R and BThe DVD of 'MAXIMUM R & B LIVE', first released as '30 YEARS OF MAXIMUM R & B' on video in 1994, is being reissued worldwide by Universal on March 23rd in a new package complete with new content, 5:1 sound and a bonus disc of the entire Rockpalast Concert from 1981, previously only seen on TV when first broadcast. The package also contains an interview with Pete Townshend recorded for the Rockpalast concert.

At the height of dynamic power, Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, John Entwistle, and Keith Moon combined to produce some of the most revered rock material of all time. More so than any of Britain

And coming soon:

'30 YEARS MAXIMUM R AND B' TO BE REISSUED AS 'MAXIMUM R & B LIVE'

THE WHO - MAXIMUM R & B LIVE

30 Years Max R and BThe DVD of 'MAXIMUM R & B LIVE', first released as '30 YEARS OF MAXIMUM R & B' on video in 1994, is being reissued worldwide by Universal on March 23rd in a new package complete with new content, 5:1 sound and a bonus disc of the entire Rockpalast Concert from 1981, previously only seen on TV when first broadcast. The package also contains an interview with Pete Townshend recorded for the Rockpalast concert.

Definitely looking forward to this.

Cool - I have this on VHS and it's a great collection. The Who have always been really good at putting out tons of video footage, on VHS and now DVD. I must have a dozen DVDs. I wish they would have added footage from 1996-2008 and brought it up to date, but I guess there's plenty of that stuff available already.

I like the re-release of that because you get to watch the interview with Kevin Stein, who is a bit out there, shall we say. He almost tells us that the laser part in Won't Get Fooled Again from the Shepperton concert was filmed later and then inserted into the sequence. Almost.

One of the reasons often cited for the film not coming out at the time was due to The Who's performance overshadowing The Rolling Stone's performance.

Pretty much any band would have overshadowed that Stones performance. They were pretty crappy that day. The Stones should have filmed their set before spending several days hanging out with Keith Moon.

But yeah, The Who were ridiculous in that film. Just unreal.

LesPaul1April2007.JPG

My goodness. What a sweet guitar. I wish Pete had kept playing LP's.

On a semi-related note, I recently heard on XM/Siruis (the "Coffeehouse" channel) Pete doing solo acoustic versions of Bargain and Behind Blue Eyes. Anyone know their origins by any chance? They were really awesome. Are these commercially available recordings? or (available) bootlegs?

Thanks in advance.

I love the Who. Saw the first farewell tour at Folsom Field in Colorado (John Cougar and Jethro Tull opening) but had the worst seats in the house. We were behind the stage basically. Pete just has an amazing guitar tone live, doesn't seem to matter what guitars he is using.

The thing about The Who that I always found so appealing (besides the master songcraft) when I was a kid was their unshakable conviction in the power of Rock as a force for positive change and the ability to heal (especially emotional scars).

Maybe that is all Pete - I think Rog and John were more motivated by success, and Keef was just in it for fun (as he was in every aspect of life). But Pete - man that dude was an interviewers wet dream...not unlike Garcia, he could pontificate at length on such a wide variety of esoteric subjects. The man was, and is, SERIOUSLY deep.

I know you guys know about the Lifehouse project. That may seem like a stoned fantasy to many, but I think just the concept of that was an amazing idea. Plus it did yield some of the best tunes the band ever recorded. And you know when the band strikes up something from the Tommy or Quadrophenia LPs in concert the vibes could get so pure you'd swear the place was gonna levitate from all the positive energy swirling through the room.

On a semi-related note, I recently heard on XM/Siruis (the "Coffeehouse" channel) Pete doing solo acoustic versions of Bargain and Behind Blue Eyes. Anyone know their origins by any chance? They were really awesome. Are these commercially available recordings? or (available) bootlegs?

absolute top notch acoustic:

townshendlifehouse.jpg

some more cd/dvd's overhere: http://www.themusic.com/encore/

they're doing a one-off show down here for the grand prix, i heard

Yes, they are down there right now.

Also - it use to be that one had to pay to gain access to certain things on the official site/forums/fanclub. They recently did away with that - it is free now.

LesPaul1April2007.JPG

My goodness. What a sweet guitar. I wish Pete had kept playing LP's.

My old boss used to be a stagehand for Bill Graham in the early/mid '70s. He once slept in a room full of the Who's equipment during the era in which Townshend had his numbered Les Pauls. How much self-control would it take to not open those cases? How could you sleep?

My old boss used to be a stagehand for Bill Graham in the early/mid '70s. He once slept in a room full of the Who's equipment during the era in which Townshend had his numbered Les Pauls. How much self-control would it take to not open those cases? How could you sleep?

Did he show self control? I would have had to crack one and at least play the chords to Baba O' Riley or something.

Did he show self control? I would have had to crack one and at least play the chords to Baba O' Riley or something.

He said he "got to see one", but he would not admit to opening any cases or touching any of them. He's a really good guitarist, and vintage/classic guitar enthusiast (not that those guitars were "vintage" at the time) so I find it hard to believe he didn't at least open some cases and take a peak.

Does anyone else remember a cover of '' Bargain" from the early 90's? I can't recall who did it.

I don't remember that one so I'm curious to hear who it was? I know Foo Fighters covered it recently at some tribute concert or something.

He said he "got to see one", but he would not admit to opening any cases or touching any of them. He's a really good guitarist, and vintage/classic guitar enthusiast (not that those guitars were "vintage" at the time) so I find it hard to believe he didn't at least open some cases and take a peak.

I would have slept with one cradled in my arms.