Surprigingly GOOD concerts?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say Nine Inch Nails at Lolla last year. The only other time I saw them was at the first Lolla, which I enjoyed too. However since the early 90's, I have not followed what they have been doing at all. Saw them last year and then bought all their CD's that came out since Pretty Hate Machine (which I already had). The stage show was incredible and Reznor's performance was one of the best I ever seen.

Must admit their fan base seemed pretty cool, too. The Rage Against Machine fiasco was on everybody's mind (I missed it of course because I was on the other side of the park watching Wilco) and when extraneous moshing occured (around me and my wife at least) it was shut down by all who were around.

Anyway a great show.

The first time I saw these bands, they totally blew me away and were surprisingly good concerts, which is why I continue to travel to shows whenever I can swing it.

Wilco

Calexico

Ryan Adams

My Morning Jacket

The Fiery Furnaces early last year. I was expecting them to do the usual indie-rock thing, playing uninspired versions of songs for an hour and then show's over. They turned out to be one of the most energetic and intense bands I've ever seen live. Songs running into each other and shifting form constantly, seemed very off the cuff and inspired. And they took an audience poll for the encore. Brilliant.

Chris Isaak in ATL at the Tabernacle....Man, I guess almost 10 years ago.

Gal invited me on our first date to go see him for our 2nd date...........

lets say the first date ended so grand I still wanted more and Isaak show

it was.

I was surprised, not a bad gig and man that suit he wore which was made

of small glass mirrors was super cool.

Colin Hay from Men at Work was really good.
Audience member: "PLAY THE FUCKING MONEY SONG!"

Colin Hay, an hour and a half later: "Here's yer fucking money song. Asshole."

I liked his show a lot.

Randy Newman last year up in Waukegan. I am a big fan of him, but was expecting little, as my wife and I, no spring chickens in our mid-thirties ourselves, were the youngest people there by a long-shot. It was us and a bunch of 60 somethings. That sounds bad as I read it, but you probably know what I mean. Anyway, he was so entertaining and sharp musically and funny; I was blown away. At least as blown away as you can be while sitting at a concert. Randy is the freakin' man!

Midnight Oil

Nice! Did you know the lead singer gave up his career as a musician to pursue a career in Aussie politics? I guess he's the Minister of Environmental Affairs or some such now.

Randy Newman last year up in Waukegan. I am a big fan of him, but was expecting little, as my wife and I, no spring chickens in our mid-thirties ourselves, were the youngest people there by a long-shot. It was us and a bunch of 60 somethings. That sounds bad as I read it, but you probably know what I mean. Anyway, he was so entertaining and sharp musically and funny; I was blown away. At least as blown away as you can be while sitting at a concert. Randy is the freakin' man!

I think my parents had a similar experience when they went and saw Gordon Lightfoot at the Gennessee Theater in Waukegan. Someone gave them tickets the day of the show and they had a blast in a crowd of 60 somethings (they are 60 somethings themselves, though). I think they knew 2 of his songs and ended up buying a couple of his records after that.

bob dylan - 2001. i thought he didnt have it in him anymore but was blown away

rogert waters - 2002. i was expecting it to be a night miserable music, but he put on a great show

weird al yankovic - 2003. more comedy that night than i thought with all the visuals

I don't think it is suprising that Morphine would be good. I miss them a lot. There shows were awewsome. Mark Sandman's stage banter was the best!

I think more than anything it was that I didn't know what to expect. I loved all of their albums, but I wasn't sure how it was going to translate. I ended up seeing them a few times when I lived in Boston. His banter and short poems were great. A real loss.

Stars in Toronto three years ago, didn't go in expecting too much but I thought they were a really really slick live band with damn catchy tunes.

Blitzen Trapper, opening for John Vanderslice before they got signed to Sub Pop, I definitely knew they had something going on for them.

Jens Lekman. I purposely went in without listening to more than one track of his. Also because I was going with someone else who wanted to go. It was a great concert. Like, fantastic.

i've seen some of his live vids on the YouTube and he does seem like a real fun musician to go and see. this version of "A Postcard to Nina" is awesome! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOqc4B1GaN4