most mispronounced words

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Warsh" for wash, "Melk" for milk, and "Bearville" for Berryville (a town) are some I hear too. "I'm gon go to Bearvill an' get muh car's ol changed."

"Loo-uh-vull, KY"

Maybe this is just me but anyone here who has Sky tv, the UKers, may have spotted this. Whenever any of the presenters, be it sports or news, say the word "sixth" they always seems to leave out the "th". Have they been media trained to pronounce this word incorrectly? Everyone seems to do it. It ends up sounding like "sick" and it does my fucking head in!! :realmad

Accents are cool though and you can forgive a lot if the accent is lilting. I love the Geordie accent and the Scottish and anything polite and gentlemanly from the US South.

There seems to be a fine line between regional accents and actual incorrect pronunciations.

That's probably the case with Missouri, Louisville, St. Louis. Place names. And there is a huge difference between urban and suburban and rural areas as well.

I somehow accidentally learned the word venquilotrist and not ventriloquist. Whoops.

I imagine that would be difficult to "unlearn" and therefore cause all sorts of social faux pas and ensuing japery.

I imagine that would be difficult to "unlearn" and therefore cause all sorts of social faux pas and ensuing japery.

True, but its not a word that often comes up in day to day conversations. Except when I go to Howdy Doody conventions.

True, but its not a word that often comes up in day to day conversations. Except when I go to Howdy Doody conventions.

You are just not chatting to the right people.

Peanit instead of peanut... ala "penit butter"

beloved instead of belov-ed. It is a pretentious sounding word anyway, but if you're going to use it, say it right, dammit.

and when people misuse the phrase "calm and collected" and say "calm and collective".

Edit: forgot... when people say statue instead of stature