Yeah, I suppose I agree The Chain doesn't really fit now that I reread the original post. If I recall, the part that starts with the unaccompanied bass was supposed to be another song, but they tagged it onto the end of what we now know as The Chain, making it sort of suite-like to my ears, but not to the criteria of this thread.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard this one in the supermarket yesterday and thought of this thread:

Wings - Band on the Run

Heard this one in the supermarket yesterday and thought of this thread:

Wings - Band on the Run

Indeed - or Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey

Guy could make a suite in 3 minutes!

Sorry to come across all Proggy (We love a bit of Prog in the UK) but: 'Supper's Ready' by Genesis (23 minutes and nine distinct sections). What a tune!. 'Cinema Show is another Genesis which applies. Also, how about 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond'. It flows perfectly but, technically, its broken down into invididual segments.

Recently, how about 'The Island' by The Decemberists. Great song in three parts. Saying that you could also add 'The Tain' and even 'Hazards of Love' in here as one 'suite'.

Sorry to come across all Proggy (We love a bit of Prog in the UK) but: 'Supper's Ready' by Genesis (23 minutes and nine distinct sections). What a tune!. 'Cinema Show is another Genesis which applies.

i mentioned supper's ready earlier ... originally written as nine separate pieces, banks & gabriel fused 'em all together and wound up with a classic. gabriel wanted to get rid of the organ solo in 9/8 and for that i will never forgive him. the build-up from the organ solo to "six-six-six is no longer alone .... " is one of the most powerful passages in pop music. a fucking masterpiece.

cinema show though ... really just a conventional pop song with a lunatic synth solo at the end, right?

tony banks is the greatest musician who ever lived

the build-up from the organ solo to "six-six-six is no longer alone .... " is one of the most powerful passages in pop music.

That is so true. Get the hairs on the back of my neck standing up every time. It's a shame Genesis don't get more love.

i mentioned supper's ready earlier ... originally written as nine separate pieces, banks & gabriel fused 'em all together and wound up with a classic. gabriel wanted to get rid of the organ solo in 9/8 and for that i will never forgive him. the build-up from the organ solo to "six-six-six is no longer alone .... " is one of the most powerful passages in pop music. a fucking masterpiece.

cinema show though ... really just a conventional pop song with a lunatic synth solo at the end, right?

tony banks is the greatest musician who ever lived

Also, how about 'Home by the Sea/Second Home by the Sea' for a bit of Phil Collins era Genesis. Or, alternatively 'Domino' off the Invisible Touch album.

Also, how about 'Home by the Sea/Second Home by the Sea' for a bit of Phil Collins era Genesis. Or, alternatively 'Domino' off the Invisible Touch album.

they kind of ceased to exist for me after And Then There were Three

i still think the first two post-Gabriel records -- Wind & Wuthering and Trick of the Tail -- are very good

but from Duke on, i just lost interest