Remind me not to pre-order next time

Since the rest of the universe appears to have received and digested the DVD, let me just ask for a simple reminder next time not to pre-order. I must have ordered this thing months ago. As much as I appreciate all the extras that came along with the package, I'm still not sure what the benefit is to pre-order anything. Even the Dead, who manage to misplace enough orders and release live shows recorded at the wrong speed on occasion, get the pre-orders out before the stores start selling them. Oh well, I have the audio tracks to keep me occupied for now. That is all.

Were people pre-ordering and receiving them or buying them a local independent record store or at the gigs?

that said, even if people were getting them from Wilco World it's not a huge company I'm sure and you'll still no doubt get it before the general public does on April 28th.

Guest Speed Racer
Were people pre-ordering and receiving them or buying them a local independent record store or at the gigs?

that said, even if people were getting them from Wilco World it's not a huge company I'm sure and you'll still no doubt get it before the general public does on April 28th.

Musictoday, which does Wilco's e-sales, is a pretty huge company. They should know what they're doing.

It seems from the board that a little over half the folks who pre-ordered have received it and about half haven't. There's another thread about this a bit further down...

I was going to do the pre-order thing until I saw the $10 delivery charge for shipping to Canada. I'm glad I waited and opted for the record store day instead.

Music Today is a terrible company. They routinely send out goods late, damaged, and often send the wrong stuff. You order a dvd, they'll send you some random cd instead. Then, since you opened it they won't give you a refund. Whoops. A friend ordered some concert tix once. They sent him the wrong seats, much worse than the ones he paid for. They wouldn't refund his money, give him a discount, or improve his seats. Nothing. The company stinks. Avoid ordering from them at all costs. Sux for bands like Wilco, but its just not worth the hassle.

Since the rest of the universe appears to have received and digested the DVD, let me just ask for a simple reminder next time not to pre-order. I must have ordered this thing months ago. As much as I appreciate all the extras that came along with the package, I'm still not sure what the benefit is to pre-order anything. Even the Dead, who manage to misplace enough orders and release live shows recorded at the wrong speed on occasion, get the pre-orders out before the stores start selling them. Oh well, I have the audio tracks to keep me occupied for now. That is all.

I thought of a lot of ways to respond to your post. I've written and deleted many.

here's what I've come up with in the end: "whiny vagina boy"

i learned this lesson when sky blue sky came out. the best route to go is to buy from an independent record store. you get extras that you don't get from buying from music today and if you don't have an indie store in your town, there are lots that will ship something to you, in a very reasonable time frame. there are other threads about his, browse through the dvd thread and the extras thread for more info, complaints, and suggestions. ignore Atticus... :)

I have ordered from Music Today for a few years now and feel that their service has significantly declined. When I first ordered the orders were fine. Now items routinely come damaged. And the damages are often clearly not from transit. I have received posters that were wrinkled or smudged by the obvious rough handling of the packers. I have even received pins that were all rusty only to have them replaces by equally rusty pins. I pre-ordered Ashes through them and received it early on the 17th through UPS but the package looked like it had gone through hell to get here. The package I received contained the toy with the box slightly damaged, the DVD, a poster and the Tote bag (which wasn't the "Ashes of American Flags" tote which they have yet to respond to my question as to why this is). All in all I have been pleased with timeliness of my orders but I fear that it will only get worse as the quality of their deliveries is declining.

I wish Wilco were on a small label like Merge Records who I order from regularly through their site and am always pleased with their service and little extras that are tossed in like posters or pins or stickers or more often than not all three. Sometimes even hand written thank you notes.

i learned this lesson when sky blue sky came out. the best route to go is to buy from an independent record store. you get extras that you don't get from buying from music today and if you don't have an indie store in your town, there are lots that will ship something to you, in a very reasonable time frame. there are other threads about his, browse through the dvd thread and the extras thread for more info, complaints, and suggestions. ignore Atticus... :)

I wish I had ordered SBS from an independent. With the new album I will probably order from newbury comics. I remember they had the SBS extras, and other stuff I have ordered from them has come very fast.

I'm on both sides of this. I *finally* got my DVD Monday. It came with other stuff. It took longer than I expected and I'm not happy about it.

However, it *is* a big company, and as such, they can offer pretty decent deals. I pre-ordered during Music Today's spring sale and got two free posters, the five Residency posters for $75 total, some vinyl and a cheap T shirt plus free shipping.

I wish there was a decent independent record store (which is pathetic to say in a 1-million-plus metropolitan area).