"Classic" albums you just don't get

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow

what a potentially great thread turned into a giant turd

prize goes to the next poster who actually has a point having something to do with a "classic" album that he/she has never quite been able to warm to

the rest of you can PM me for a foot up your ass

edit: that last comment was primarily meant for one feminine hygiene product roaming these parts

Though I have been recently listening to the Stones probably more than I have before in my life for some reason Exile on Main Street still leaves me cold, there are a few songs on it I really like: Happy, Tumbling Dice, Shine a Light, and Sweet Virginia, but I have had a hard time really enjoying the whole thing. Then again I have always enjoyed the 60's era of the Stones quite a bit more.

--Mike

Cream was a blues band. They jammed, they got 'jazzy', but they weren't "trippy".
They were a bit trippy. Certainly Disreali Gears had a bit of that going. The words were obscure and then Wheels of Fire had some fairly trippy aspects. I certainly agree that they are primarly a blues band in the initial concept. (Gawd I loved Cream. I heard a live version of BADGE on the radio the other day which is still one great song.)

As far as psychadelic, Surrealistic Pillow is a fanatastic album that is certainly well within that category, but to me stands up years later as simply a great album. It has always been one of my all time faves...

LouieB

Gawd I loved Cream.

LouieB

Me too. This is another example of why I've always said I was born 10 years too late - I would have LOVED to see them in their heyday. The odd thing: I didn't really "get" their studio stuff that much, but live they were flat-out amazing.

Example: the song Sweet Wine. The studio version is kinda tame, but the Live Cream Vol. 1 version is a tour-de-force of killer jamming. And the "Goodbye" version of I'm So Glad! Pure amphetamine-rush blues.

It's too bad the reunion shows weren't all that great - but I guess if you have a 38 year hiatus it's bound to be a little rusty. :lol

Search tells me that Led Zeppelin was brought up at some point. This page tells me not to bother finding that reference. So...

Everything by Led Zeppelin. I don't hate people who like Led Zeppelin -- it somehow just all comes off as smarmy mysogeny to me, even if it's about angels or trees or sunshine.

In the UK, 1967 was the year of The Beatles' masterpiece, Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, whose early highlight was an hallucinogenic vision of tangerine trees and marmalade skies called "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". The capitalised letters seemed a dead giveaway, but Paul McCartney always denied it was a song about LSD. He later revealed that he'd tried the hallucinogenic, and is thought to be the person who first introduced it to Bob Dylan. The pre-eminent UK acid band was Pink Floyd in the days of Syd Barrett and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Their song titles took their cue from space travel – "Astronomy Domine", "Interstellar Overdrive" – as did the Rolling Stones in their single burst of psychedelia, "2000 Light Years From Home".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock

Psychedelic rock is a style of rock music that is inspired or influenced by psychedelic culture, or attempts to replicate the mind-altering experiences of hallucinogenic drugs.[1] It emerged during the mid 1960s among garage and folk rock bands in Britain and the United States. Psychedelic rock bridged the transition from early blues-based rock to progressive rock, art rock, experimental rock and heavy metal; and also drew on non-Western sources such as Indian music's ragas and sitars.

Dylan wrote Lay Down Your Weary Tune in 1963, and he also wrote Mr Tambourine Man before he released Another Side of Bob Dylan, but chose to keep it back for another album. These songs have psychedelic themes and were written long before he touched lsd. If you watch nearly any documentary about hippies they'll play Mr Tambourine Man at some point. Donovan was writing the songs for Sunshine Superman in 1965 - before he took lsd. I'd image this is actually the case with a lot of other people too. Personally I'd say that music made on lsd is second in shitness only to cocaine, so I'd assume that the best psychedelic albums were made when the people weren't off their faces, but instead merely influenced by their experiences outside the studio.

Dylan wrote Lay Down Your Weary Tune in 1963, and he also wrote Mr Tambourine Man before he released Another Side of Bob Dylan, but chose to keep it back for another album. These songs have psychedelic themes and were written long before he touched lsd. If you watch nearly any documentary about hippies, they'll play Mr Tambourine Man at some point. Donovan was writing the songs for Sunshine Superman in 1965 - before he took lsd. I'd image this is actually the case with a lot of other people too. Personally I'd say that music made on lsd is second in shitness only to cocaine, so I'd assume that the best psychedelic albums were made when the people weren't off their faces, but instead merely influenced by their experiences outside the studio.

Jimi Hendrix and the Grateful Dead managed to play music on LSD somehow but I would imagine most musicians would suck very badly in that state. I have played with bands that have only smoked pot and you spend an extra hour just trying to get in some semblance of tuned.

Oh, the you can't "really" enjoy Pink Floyd unless under the influence arguement. Never gets old, does it? This is so stupid and childish that it is boring. Hey, if you feel blessed because you have experienced certain music under certain conditions then more power to you, I'm sorry I'm out in the cold on this one. Or, is it just that you need an excuse to use more drugs. Who cares, either way. In the case of Pink Floyd, I'm sure the outcome of what happened to Syd emotionally and psychologically was well worth it in terms of "exploring" his craft to the fullest. This is stupid, but I'm glad there is never a shortage of people perpetuating the old stand by that music isn't cool unless it is being created by a bunch of hopped up freaks. Nice. Oh, my two cents on the Dead is that for a large portion of their career I'm sure they were stoned and the majority of their music sounds that way, stupid and f***ed up.

I'm ambivalent about this thread