"Classic" albums you just don't get

Also, I would ask anyone on here who doesn't "get" dinosaur jr. whether they've ever seen J play live.

Nothing like it.

Someone posted earlier that he agrees Mascis is a better guitarist, but that's it.

Well, that's a HUGE deal, is it not? Mascis guitar playing sometimes IS what makes his songs so great.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone posted earlier that he agrees Mascis is a better guitarist, but that's it.

Well, that's a HUGE deal, is it not? Mascis guitar playing sometimes IS what makes his songs so great.

I've seen Gibb Droll play live. Dude is a fucking guitar wizard. Perhaps there's something else there that keeps him from being mentioned in the same breath as Nirvana and other bands whose guitar mastery doesn't approach his?

I think I understand why every "classic" I know is a "classic". But that doesn't mean I like all of them. To the contrary, most of my favorite records aren't the "classics". And it's not by principle. It's due to the fact that for the most part, to become a "classic", an album must have something more "mainstream" and less intimate or special. With a few exceptions (the Velvet Underground being one).

Just personal here, but I can sort of understand the Beatles issue, but Blonde on Blonde??

LouieB

Well, I'm of those who are not crazy about that album. You can be fascinated by Bob's flow of songs, but just listening to the music and the vocals you can easily get bored (or irritated).

Otoh it's easy to get why it's a classic.

Bacharach & David used to write his favorite songs.

You really like to argue for arguments sake.

:unsure

I was quoting the same song he was.

Doctor, heal thyself. :D

EDIT: I just rode the 'quote' train back up and can see where you thought I was referring to you... :cheers

cryptique was quoting a They Might Be Giants song, so I chimed in with another lyric.

I can't imagine someone not "getting" They Might Be Giants.

after years of on and off listening and never really getting into it, Music from Big Pink finally hit me like a ton of bricks. however, the self-titled doesn't do it for me. i like it okay, but Big Pink...man.

-justin

I listened to the Band for years before I actually listened to "The Band" in album format. Every song is a nugget. But assembled in one unit ... wow.

In the automobile world isn't a "classic" car defined as one that is at least 25 years old? I wish we could instate those rules here, because I haven't listened to about 99% of the swill that's been put out since 1984.

I always took "get" to mean understand its influence, but not necessarily like the band.

I "get" Sonic Youth, but I'd rather listen to my cat howl when she doesn't get her wet food than Daydream Nation.

(Yes, that is a terrible analogy.)

In the automobile world isn't a "classic" car defined as one that is at least 25 years old? I wish we could instate those rules here, because I haven't listened to about 99% of the swill that's been put out since 1984.

nothing is more tired than the 'there is no new good music' lament. it generally means you just got lazy or apathetic.

I've seen Gibb Droll play live. Dude is a fucking guitar wizard. Perhaps there's something else there that keeps him from being mentioned in the same breath as Nirvana and other bands whose guitar mastery doesn't approach his?

Gibb Droll is awesome! I have seen him live twice and the guy shreds! Do you have Dharma Cd...Circumstantial Blues The last song on that album is incredible!

I always took "get" to mean understand its influence, but not necessarily like the band.

I "get" Sonic Youth, but I'd rather listen to my cat howl when she doesn't get her wet food than Daydream Nation.

(Yes, that is a terrible analogy.)

Actually that is very funny.....

LouieB

I can't imagine someone not "getting" They Might Be Giants.

I'm afraid I don't get them much. I don't like their voices, and don't find them tuneful at all.

Why the Hell should they be more praised than cub, that fabulous trio who actually wrote "New York City" among many other hooks?

Just to catch up, have I got this right:

The Beatles aren't all they're cracked up to be

Blonde on Blonde sucks

Somebody listens to They Might Be Giants

Dinosaur Jr is better than Nirvana

and "For Emma" is a classic album?