"Classic" albums you just don't get

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-The Doors -"The Doors" best debut album ever......although I like "Morrison Hotel" better.

-The Minutemen-"Three Way Tie (For Last)- D. Boon was on his way with this one.......yet no one considers it classic.

-Ramones -"TO Tough To Die" their last great record......a Dee Dee penned record that kicked ass

It all how YOU take it I guess......

-Robert

And a :o from me too. Just about the greatest album ever.

I have yet to find an album that would top London Calling for #1 on my list of all time. It's not just the songs, it's the sound of the album. It's the fact that there ARE 19 songs there and every one of them is a freakin' gem. I guess that's why I still don't get Sandinista!: it's a triple LP and you've really gotta hunt to find the songs worth putting on repeat. I put on London Calling, start at the top, and listen all the way through. I feel like I don't even have a choice.

The two greatest psychedelic bands of all time, and also the two single greatest live acts in rock history(ok, throw the young WHO in there as well) both in terms of the show and the technology they pushed to change the live experience as we know it today.

Sad that you are missing out on such talented acts. They made albums that worked great while on psychedelics and while sober. The only artists more influential were the Beatles and Dylan.

Well put. :thumbup

All you Sgt Pepper, Aeroplane, Funeral, Pet Sounds and London Calling haters should go **** yourselves. Not really, but seriously. I could say worse...

My 2cents.

Please don't list funeral next to those other albums, k thnx.

All you Sgt Pepper, Aeroplane, Funeral, Pet Sounds and London Calling haters should go **** yourselves. Not really, but seriously. I could say worse...

My 2cents.

If anyone needs me, I'll be over in the corner ****ing myself, because I really don't "get" Aeroplane, Funeral, or Pet Sounds.

I do, however, regard London Calling as a strong candidate for best album ever made ... and while I don't personally rank Sgt. Pepper highly among the Beatles' output, I appreciate how earth-shaking it must have been when it came out. I just don't think it's held up as well as many other Beatles albums.

London Calling is great to my ears.

Aeroplane IS all that. Knowing it was inspired by the Diary of Anne Frank makes it even more interesting.

Sgt. Peppers is great 'cause of its vibe. I think it works fabulous as a whole.

How many really think Nirvana is better than Dino Jr.? Seriously...music's subjective, but that's just wrong. I don't dislike Cobain's voice, but J. Mascis voice works VERY well with Dino's sound. He can sing kinda gruff in some songs, very pretty in others.

I never liked Pet Sounds. Whether I "get" or not is irrelevant. I also don't understand how it's supposed to be enjoyable just for the sound on it, regardless of the tunes themselves. Hmmm....

I am a HUGE Beach Boys fan, specifically the 66-73 era. With that being said, Pet Sounds has never made me think, "Oh my God, this is an unbelievable amazing album" Yes God Only Knows is the prettiest song ever made, but the album as a whole.........I guess it is about context. Wild Honey does more for me than Pet Sounds.

I disagree he has always had "An emporers new clothes" feel to me. People rave about him publicly and wax peotically about his genius and how difficult it is to understand him, but in the long run, I do not believe that what they write means what they think it means. And he is basiclaly exposed for what he is on the very first listen. Beer is an ecquired taste and I grew to like it fairly quickly and love it over time. I neither love Beefheart nor like him and I have been trying for far longer than I have with beer.

guessing at others' motives and interpretations is always a dangerous game.

The two greatest psychedelic bands of all time [OP was referring to Pink Floyd and Grateful Dead], and also the two single greatest live acts in rock history(ok, throw the young WHO in there as well) both in terms of the show and the technology they pushed to change the live experience as we know it today.

your definition of 'psychedelic' and 'greatest live act' wildly differs from mine...the Dead are neither.

... and while I don't personally rank Sgt. Pepper highly among the Beatles' output, I appreciate how earth-shaking it must have been when it came out. I just don't think it's held up as well as many other Beatles albums.

:thumbup

I still can't get into London Calling or Aeroplane but Pet Sounds clicked for me 20 years ago and I've been a fan ever since.

Pet Sounds not the greatest album ever.....heresy... :lol :lol

Just kidding of course. As one of the very few board members here who was actually a teenager when the Beach Boys were in their prime, I remember hearing them on the radio, when there were singles and that's how one learned about music. I have said this repeatedly here, the Beach Boys wrote music for kids, even when they were older it was still teen music. Now they perform for 50 and 60 year olds who want to think they are still kids.

Pet Sounds is a great album, but the material on it is mostly about coming of age. if you no longer agonize over coming of age it won't sound all that great to you. If you try and remember what it was like, then it still sounds pretty good. Sloop John B is an old folk song and really isn't one of the best songs ever and the Beach Boys didn't write it anyway.

LouieB

I listen to a ton of new music, but every few months I'll revisit Pet Sounds and I am always blown away at how fresh and unique it still sounds to me even in the context of current albums.

I don't know that there are too many albums I don't "get." But if that also means albums I don't particularly care for after repeated listens, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Daydream Nation. Especially since it "should" be something I would enjoy, so to speak.

I can't think of a song on Pet Sounds that isn't perfect.

yep. also one of the few classic albums that if you steal ideas from you don't end up sounding shit. and that's a fact kids! start stealing.

also, and this is another lesson kids - the beach boys in general kept out of 60s and 70s politics (mainly cos they were fighting family politics, but still), so they never got a chance to be found out as phoneys like a lot of their contemporaries have, which is always good for the longevity of your music.