Somebody listens to They Might Be Giants

Dinosaur Jr is better than Nirvana

and "For Emma" is a classic album?

Guess not enought people have chosen metamucil over smack. :stunned

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about Apollo 18 - forgot that was the first full band album. John Henry was the first big letdown for me.

John Henry was a clunker. Mink Car was a decent rebound. Else was solid enough.

I was actually making a joke, because I've love the response of some people over the years to hearing it, and yet there will be hooks from a first listen that stay with you. The things you find yourself singing from one of their albums invites a butterfly net.

From a creative standpoint, I just admire what they've done over the years. The dial-a-song, I even admire their foray into educational music and videos for the kids. They did a Friday night family video podcast that I recommend to anyone with kids. They even ended up with a nice ditty in Coraline.

I really hope you are pulling my leg.

absolutely not. i listened to a Dick's Pick today (fillmore, '70) just to make sure. yep, i'm sure.

The Dead were a better psych band than anything on that page.

so which ones have you actually heard?

the dead are folk/bluegrass-based, definitely not a psych band (regardless of their lysergic ingestion habits).

I think psychedelic was a marketing term made up to sell records. I have never used that term when describing such bands. To me, they are a San Francisco band, and thus, part of the San Francisco music scene.

How did we ever get Dino Jr. and Nirvana in the same conversation? I think I was reading Our Band Could Be Your Life and they compared the two also, or maybe it was somewhere else. Anyway, being a HUGE Dino Jr. fan, I never saw much similarity. Cobain probably wrote better songs, but I have never had the desire to own any Nirvana (not that you needed to circa 1993). Dino Jr. for me especially after Lou left was my band for a while.

Oh since we are keeping score:

I didn't "get" the Beatles or Stones until I was 28 years old

Blonde on Blonde is not overrated

TMBG is a band my best friend would play to irritate me

Dino Jr. anyday over Nirvana

Grizzley Bear Yellow House is terrrrrrrible

and if For Emma is a classic then Iron and Wine OEND is defintely a classic.

Guest Gym Teacher Man

The Beatles - The White Album

I like it fine, and I love a few of the songs - Dear Prudence, Blackbird, Rocky Racoon - but it pales in comparison to their other works, in my opinion. Never got why everyone loves that one so much.

I saw Droll play with Keller Williams last summer - holy shit that man can play. He did a solo Little Wing near the end of the show that was just stunning.

Which section of "Dark Star" is folk/bluegrass-based? "Drums"? "Space"? "Cream Puff War?"? "Sand Castles and Glass Camels"?

Obviously, the Grateful Dead are not only a psychedelic band, but they are a psychedelic band.

there's more noodles in 'dark star' than yr average chinese restaurant. seriously, garcia and weir's playing just doesn't appeal to me.

on the fillmore '71 version i am currently listeining to, it only catches my interest in the ~9 to 10:30 minute mark area...otherwise there's way too much wool gathering to hold any interest at all. i'll take a crack at 'drums > space' from dick's picks vol 21 next, but i don't have high hopes.

agreed that as a pigeonhole, 'psychedelic' has been the most abused term outside of 'indie' but for me there are still clear properties. i would consider these bands to have a heavy psych streak in them:

13th floor elevators

pink floyd up until DSotM

spacemen 3

the church

hawkwind

chrome/helios creed

charalambides

ash ra temple

acid mothers temple

comets on fire

dungen

it's certainly open to interpretation, and in my world, the Dead just don't fit into it.

there's more noodles in 'dark star' than yr average chinese restaurant. seriously, garcia and weir's playing just doesn't appeal to me.

on the fillmore '71 version i am currently listeining to, it only catches my interest in the ~9 to 10:30 minute mark area...otherwise there's way too much wool gathering to hold any interest at all. i'll take a crack at 'drums > space' from dick's picks vol 21 next, but i don't have high hopes.

Seriously, why in the hell are you listening to 9-10 minutes of music that doesn't "appeal" to you or "hold any interest at all"?

Seriously, why in the hell are you listening to 9-10 minutes of music that doesn't "appeal" to you or "hold any interest at all"?

i readily admit i've changed my opinions about music before, and sometimes it takes multiple instances for something to sink in. but not this time.

np: Butthole Surfers - Rembrandt Pussyhorse [now *this* is psychedelic music.]