"Classic" albums you just don't get

i readily admit i've changed my opinions about music before, and sometimes it takes multiple instances for something to sink in. but not this time.

np: Butthole Surfers - Rembrandt Pussyhorse [now *this* is psychedelic music.]

I see. That's cool, open mind and all.

re: Pussyhorse - probably their best album imo

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beatles - The White Album

I like it fine, and I love a few of the songs - Dear Prudence, Blackbird, Rocky Racoon - but it pales in comparison to their other works, in my opinion. Never got why everyone loves that one so much.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps? Happiness Is a Warm Gun? Julia? Sexy Sadie? Cry Baby Cry?

Wasn't John so embarrassed by "Cry Baby Cry " he claimed that Paul wrote?

Really? Interesting.. I've never been too found of that song, but I have seen a pattern over the years. Females seem to dig that song a lot for some reason..

Guest Gym Teacher Man
While My Guitar Gently Weeps? Happiness Is a Warm Gun? Julia? Sexy Sadie? Cry Baby Cry?

while my guitar gently weeps i left out. that is amazing.

the other four are ok songs.

Wasn't John so embarrassed by "Cry Baby Cry " he claimed that Paul wrote?

Yeah, he claimed it wasn't is in the Rolling Stone interview from 1980. Paul did write the coda of the song "Can You Take Me Back?" But the rest of the song is all John (though Jay Bennett as usual claims to have had some lyrical imput :cheekkiss). I love a great deal of the White Album, but I really think it would be have been a better 22-song double album, than a 30-track one. It's high points are some of if not the best of the band's career, but its lower points, such as the immortal Wild Honey Pie, probably could have been left on the cutting room floor.

--Mike

Just to catch up, have I got this right:

The Beatles aren't all they're cracked up to be

Blonde on Blonde sucks

Somebody listens to They Might Be Giants

Dinosaur Jr is better than Nirvana

and "For Emma" is a classic album?

Actually, I clarified on page 2 that I wasn't using Emma as an example of a classic album. But if you would rather ignore that so your post can be as smart-assed as possible, then go right ahead. :P

Yeah, he claimed it wasn't is in the Rolling Stone interview from 1980. Paul did write the coda of the song "Can You Take Me Back?" But the rest of the song is all John (though Jay Bennett as usual claims to have had some lyrical imput :cheekkiss). I love a great deal of the White Album, but I really think it would be have been a better 22-song double album, than a 30-track one. It's high points are some of if not the best of the band's career, but its lower points, such as the immortal Wild Honey Pie, probably could have been left on the cutting room floor.

--Mike

I actually kinda like "Wild Honey Pie" in a "God, that's f**ked" sorta way.

Actually, I clarified on page 2 that I wasn't using Emma as an example of a classic album. But if you would rather ignore that so your post can be as smart-assed as possible, then go right ahead. :P

Bon-Liver.

How is it fucked? It's just Paul doing his take on the "1920s sound". A lot of bands were doing that around that time - Moby Grape, The Monkees, The New Vaudeville Band, etc.

Not "Honey Pie"... "WILD Honey Pie".

Not "Honey Pie"... "WILD Honey Pie".

Oh. Same thing, only different. Just another Paul song. I think we had a thread once where people could pick apart the White album. I figure it's fine the way it is.

and if For Emma is a classic then Iron and Wine OEND is defintely a classic.

I would make the argument that the Creek Drank the Cradle is a much better record than OEND, and therefore much more classic then. If the argument that For Emma is a classic holds.

I don't think the White Album would be as lovable if it wasn't a hulking behemoth of doom and good old fashioned rock music.

Yeah, he claimed it wasn't is in the Rolling Stone interview from 1980. Paul did write the coda of the song "Can You Take Me Back?" But the rest of the song is all John (though Jay Bennett as usual claims to have had some lyrical imput :cheekkiss).

:lol

I love a great deal of the White Album, but I really think it would be have been a better 22-song double album, than a 30-track one.

--Mike

Of course you can throw the Esher demos in there and raise a whole 'nother issue about what to put in and what to leave out ..

I think psychedelic was a marketing term made up to sell records. I have never used that term when describing such bands. To me, they are a San Francisco band, and thus, part of the San Francisco music scene.

Not really. Psychedelic music is most definitely a distinct and useful classification. When someone says, "hey, that album is a psychedleic classic", what they are saying is that the album sounds awesome both on psychedelic drugs and stone cold sober. The entire scene was based around hallucinogens, and there was a particular type of music made for that experience by many of the rock bands at that time (and many current ones to this day - see the Flaming Lips as a popular example). The Grateful Dead mixed their records while tripping for the optimum effect. Even the Beatles were working on that angle. It takes more skill to craft a record that works incredibly well on hallucinogens like LSD and also sober. This is why albums like Dark Side of the Moon, Sgt. Peppers and American Beauty have continually captured the imagination of future generations, and still top "best of lists" 40 years down the road.

Unless you ever took those kinds of mind altering substances (LSD, mushrooms) while listening to those records, it's difficult to have a full understanding of a psychedelic live performance or record. The description is there for a reason ;)