"Classic" albums you just don't get

That is one of favorites. I never got the whole Nirvana Unplugged deal. To me, they sounded ragged and forced. I certainly don't think the Bowie cover they did was all that great. I want to say that I read somewhere that Kurt did not really want to do that show - but I am not sure about that.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is one of favorites. I never got the whole Nirvana Unplugged deal. To me, they sounded ragged and forced. I certainly don't think the Bowie cover they did was all that great. I want to say that I read somewhere that Kurt did not really want to do that show - but I am not sure about that.
The prospect of performing an entirely acoustic show made Cobain nervous.

The band dedicated two days to rehearsals. The rehearsal sessions were tense and difficult, with the band running into problems performing various songs. During the sessions, Cobain disagreed with MTV as to how the performance should be presented.

Upset, the day before filming was set to take place Cobain refused to play. However, he appeared at the studio the following afternoon. Cobain was suffering from drug withdrawal and nervousness at the time; one observer said, "There was no joking, no smiles, no fun coming from him . . . Therefore, everyone was more than a little worried about his performance."

Cobain suggested that the stage be decorated with stargazer lilies, black candles, and a crystal chandelier. Cobain's request prompted the show's producer to ask him, "You mean like a funeral?", to which the singer replied yes

I should say that I have never been in love with Nirvana. I like some of their songs. They brought rock back to the top of whatever, so my hat is off to them for that. That whole Unplugged series/show was a bit to slicked up for me in general.

I should say that I have never been in love with Nirvana. I like some of their songs. They brought rock back to the top of whatever, so my hat is off to them for that. That whole Unplugged series/show was a bit to slicked up for me in general.

Due to your avatar...I just got the image of you taking off a giant Bolanesque top hat.

It made me laugh.

Due to your avatar...I just got the image of you taking off a giant Bolanesque top hat.

It made me laugh.

Not bad. I always figured that hat must have weighed a lot for poor frail Marc to wear. He was the man, though.

Not bad. I always figured that hat must have weighed a lot for poor frail Marc to wear. He was the man, though.

Marc was the man. He was like 5'5", but in gear between the heels in the hat he was like, 6'5". That's a trooper right there.

guessing at others' motives and interpretations is always a dangerous game.

your definition of 'psychedelic' and 'greatest live act' wildly differs from mine...the Dead are neither.

The Grateful Dead weren't a psychedelic band?

:stunned

no, they were some sort of lame-ass jug band.

far too much wimpy noodling, no fire. two drummers? they could have gotten by w/ a bongo player.

:lol

I dont think you have to be 17 or remember what it was like to be 17 to be knocked flat by I Just Wasn't Made For These Times. Or That's Not Me. Or You Still Believe in Me. Or God Only Knows. Or Caroline No. Or Here Today. Or I Know There's An Answer.

It's cool if folks don't like it (or "get" it), but it's probably the album that gets me in the gut the hardest. It's my Plastic Ono Band. If that makes any sense. There's not an ounce of filler on there IMO.

(Sorry for turning this into Pet Sounds Debated on VC v14.0)

I agree we don't need a 15th pet sounds thread, but I was surprised to see your post matt, cause I think we tend to have fairly similar tastes. (although one of these days you're going to have to school me on costello...)

I remember putting pet sounds on repeat in the car for like a week, thinking it MUST sink in at some point, but it just made me more perplexed. I think "god only knows" (along with "don't worry baby" while we're on the beach boys--possibly top 5 most perfect pop songs ever) is pure genius. The rest of the record does nothing for me.

For songs about teen love, I'll take the beatles any day.

As to dinosaur jr. vs. nirvana, what I think is so ironic about some of the comments on here is that cobain would have probably given anything to have lived with the kind of following and freedom mascis has had, rather than the elvisdom that was thrust on him overnight via mtv, etc.

Also, I would ask anyone on here who doesn't "get" dinosaur jr. whether they've ever seen J play live.

Nothing like it.

An album that's already being tossed around as a modern classic is Grizzly Bear's Yellow House. I think it recently popped up in the upper half of Amazon's "Top 100 Indie Albums Ever" list. I cannot, for the life of me, get into this album. I love the opening track, "Easier", but after that it falls off for me. It just won't click. I'm going to see them this summer at Pitchfork, maybe that will change my mind. Or, maybe it's overrated and not that great to begin with. Or, maybe it is great and just not for me. *sigh*

An album that's already being tossed around as a modern classic is Grizzly Bear's Yellow House.

When did this thing come out?? Two years ago?? How can it be a classic??

Beatles - Sgt Pepper & Magical mystery tour

Dylan - Blonde on blonde

You don't get these or you do?

LouieB

Never got the Beatles.

Yeah...what's there to get about the Band that changed the face of popular music and youth culture?