Thanks! Yeah, she's about a week and a half in from when she first noticed the symptoms, and she's on some kind of antibiotic/antiviral/something or other, and it's clearing up nicely. My grandma got shingles a few years before she died, and she was in pain from it, off and on, for those last few years. They say that lingering pain is worse for older people though, I think Mom is young and strong enough that she'll bounce back.

I have also heard that the lingering pain is worse the older you are. I had shingles a couple years ago and was in a lot of pain but no lingering pain. It just took a long time for it to go away. I can't imagine having it on my face though. Don't they have a vaccine for it now?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't they have a vaccine for it now?

Yes, and my grandmother spent her last few years, in between bitching about the pain, haranguing everyone she knew to get the vaccine! :lol We're pretty sure that wherever she is now, she's getting a good laugh at my mom for ignoring that advice.

Hey. My brother-in-law, a pharmacologist who specializes in infectious disease, says not to freak out.

Does it help you all to know that my brother-in-law is really the nicest-looking Indian guy I have ever seen?

Does it help you all to know that my brother-in-law is really the nicest-looking Indian guy I have ever seen?

Which Indian?

a lot of emergency vehicles here at work, people with masks on. Not sure what it is yet. It's probably just some white powder in an envelope. Crossing fingers for a swine flu vacation.

As much as this thread is getting out of hand, what are some of your reactions to this memo put out by Homeland Security in March 2009? How many of us could be be listed as domestic terror threats if you follow these guidelines? I am not taking any kind of position. Just curious. Any animal activists out there speaking of swine?

http://www.tdbimg.com/files/2009/04/30/-hs...65213935473.pdf

Which Indian?

East.

As much as this thread is getting out of hand, what are some of your reactions to this memo put out by Homeland Security in March 2009? How many of us could be be listed as domestic terror threats if you follow these guidelines? I am not taking any kind of position. Just curious. Any animal activists out there speaking of swine?

http://www.tdbimg.com/files/2009/04/30/-hs...65213935473.pdf

What does that document have to do with the H1N1 influenza virus?

• 2 weeks later...

There's really not been a proper explanation put forward, as far as I know. I was on a conference call last week where someone asked just that, and the guy from the CDC actually said "college students coming back from spring break...?" Dude. We're expecting more from the CD-f'in-C!

"The virus was spread via bratwurst and early Wilco album leaks," a spokesman for the Centers of Disease Control told a reporter Wednesday.

Supposedly the CDC is looking at Rogers Park here to help to better understand how it spreads -- apparently it is practically ground zero here in the US. The alderman emailed that the CDC will be going door to door next week.

Meanwhile, the reason I am up late is that I need to dose Jake with more advil at midnight -- he had a 104 fever today and biiig cough -- could not help but think H1N1, though it is likely not that.... right???

Meanwhile, the reason I am up late is that I need to dose Jake with more advil at midnight -- he had a 104 fever today and biiig cough -- could not help but think H1N1, though it is likely not that.... right???

It's likely not, and even if it is, he'll likely be just fine. 104 is worrying, though, even in non-H1N1 times. Vibes for Jake!