• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know but (while we weren't talking about swine flu), my evangelical Christian prophet friend told me that the Lord had told him 3 times in the past month to start stock piling food.

I don't know but (while we weren't talking about swine flu), my evangelical Christian prophet friend told me that the Lord had told him 3 times in the past month to start stock piling food.

prolly best to start with a lot of bacon.

Starve a cold, feed the swine flu?

I'll just come out and say it. I created the swine flu, cause i'm tired of the porky lil bastards shitting all over my state

I think it's just hard for our 21-century brains to wrap around this. It doesn't seem possible that we could be brought down by something like the flu.

But yeah, it's definitely possible. Hell, we can't stop lice from spreading through elementary schools.

We got through SARS and the bird flu, and since there are intelligent people in charge of the U.S. government now, I am not really worried about this. I have a recollection of getting a swine flu shot in the '70s at Hyde Park town hall. Probably doesn't work any more. Medicine has come quite a ways since 1918.

Why is that people find this so funny I wonder. A lot of people have died.

Stage 4

It not funny, but the fact that people in a country that has no so good health care and standards are dying of a disease that people in countries where health care is better are doing just fine is nothing new. I think that this whole thing is a bit crazy. According to the WHO via the BBC only about 20 people have died which not much compared to AIDS or even car accidents in a single day. Just do not go out and hump a pig and I think most people will be fine.

There's also something to be said for doing a little research and buying local. Almost every community has an adjoining farming base. Or one within reasonable distance.

Edit: Not to make this into a farming thread, but they are related.

The following Slate article tries to answer some as to:

Why does the swine flu seem to be more deadly in Mexico?

http://www.slate.com/id/2217019

As for me, well, I'm outfitting meself for the apocalypse.

:thumbup Thanks for the link. That's the first sensible and truly informative article I've read on this whole thing.

We got through SARS and the bird flu

Pigs are larger and more fatty than birds, therefore their flu is deadlier and tastier.

As for the way people are reacting to this with humor, I don't think anyone really knows how to react until we wait and see how this thing plays out. There's a whole lot of OMFG!!! out there right now that feels kind of over the top, but hey, you never know.

Guest Speed Racer

Yeah a lot of people are dying, but a lot more people are dying of other things right now. The VAST majority of people who have contracted bird flu have not died. What is the rate, 6%? Relatively speaking that's a decent number, but jeepers.

The media coverage is hysterical, in both senses of the word. NBC was interviewing that family in Texas whose son had contracted the flu; during the interview they were wearing masks 'for the safety of the crew,' but they were interrupting the interview footage with a montage of them going about their business in their house, sans masks - were they filming themselves? Footage of two people in masks in the foreground with the voice-over, "Nearly everyone here is wearing a mask," while at least 30 people in the background have no masks.

I get that they need to make a big deal out of this, not only for ratings but to keep us alert and cover their asses - better to over-cover now than say 'oops!' later - but come on.

I'm flying today, and I'm not worried at all. Mostly I'm glad to be getting away from where I am now (visiting the parents), because I don't have a television where I live. The network news coverage is simply obscene.

I'm not worried.

On another board I'm on, a lady has about 500 gallons of water in her basement and enough food to last 6 months in case of a quarantine.

Sounds like my dad. But when the rats chewed through the drier vent and got into the house my mom made him get rid of the food.