New Album News - II

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer
This thread is terrible.

Can you provide some context? Are you saying that because you're bored, or is there a more emotional reasoning behind your honest opinion?

Still, you'll agree that someone can express an honest fear about how the upcoming record may turn out without it being just out of boredom or whatever? I don't know why one would assume it was anything other than an honest criticism without additional context.

An opinion on something before you've even heard it? That suggestion surprises me coming from you, based on comments you've made to others in other threads.

Based on what? That would need clarification/explanation. What specifically do you fear? I'm assuming it would have to be based on what you've already heard, which means it's opinion on something else. I think whatever reasons why'd you'd "fear" an unreleased record would be interesting to hear.

For the record, I am bored at work today.

"Tell him what he's won, Don Pardo!"

Wow, are you the board police today?

nodep5's post basically said, "I'm terribly sorry you have such awful taste in music; you're missing out." I think it's pretty easy to say that's the low road approach to criticism. "I like it; you're missing out" could have been a high-road alternative.

Wow, I thought that is what I did say. "I like it, you are missing out" I struck a nerve with the record collection comment I guess?

An opinion on something before you've even heard it? That suggestion surprises me coming from you, based on comments you've made to others in other threads.

Based on what? That would need clarification/explanation. What specifically do you fear? I'm assuming it would have to be based on what you've already heard, which means it's opinion on something else. I think whatever reasons why'd you'd "fear" an unreleased record would be interesting to hear.

An opinion that one should fear that there will be aspects of the album not to his or her liking, based on past experience. I think it's valid to assume that, since one hasn't appreciated Pat's contributions to Sky Blue Sky, one might assume there's a good chance the same would be true for the new album.

Again, for the record, I'm not a huge fan of Sky Blue Sky. There are parts of it that I think are really beautiful, and I'm thrilled that Jeff Tweedy thinks it's the best album he's ever made, but it's mostly not my cup of tea. I have no expectations about the new album, nor any opinion on how it's going to sound, but I can see how someone else might be concerned they might not like the new album if they didn't like the last one.

Wow, I thought that is what I did say. "I like it, you are missing out" I struck a nerve with the record collection comment I guess?

You didn't strike a nerve with the record collection comment. I still don't understand how you can actually mean what you said, though. Your logic is flawed; there are a lot of people who don't like any Wilco albums and yet manage to have very large record collections which bring them great joy.

Is that you in your avatar? Maybe we can convert this into a beard thread somehow. I have a beard now...

It's another member of this fine community. At 25, I still can't grow a beard. I can, however, grow just enough facial hair to look awkward. That is my style right now.

Ok, Ok. I hate conflict and I guess I resorted to myself 10 years ago , where people would call me a judgemental prick. That being said (here is the part where I keep defending myself). I just was struck with the Wilco records SUCKS angle. That is like saying (in my opinion) Sex SUCKS or Honda Accords SUCK. I think one would be trying hard to hate to say something like that. It is not that everyone has to love Wilco and I can see where it is not someone's bag, but to say any of their albums SUCK strikes a nerve with me. For example, I am by no means a White Stripes fan and Jack White's voice grates on my nerves after a few songs, but I would never say that a White Stripes albums SUCKS. I mean I am very careful with that word and only use it to describe U2 albums :cheekkiss

You didn't strike a nerve with the record collection comment. I still don't understand how you can actually mean what you said, though. Your logic is flawed; there are a lot of people who don't like any Wilco albums and yet manage to have very large record collections which bring them great joy.

I get where you are coming from and my logic is probably skewed, but in some ways (which may be messed up) I do mean what I said. I would have trouble believing a person who loves music would find little to no joy in most if not all Wilco albums. I know that is skewed but it is how I feel.

It another member of this fine community. At 25, I still can't grow a beard. I can, however, grow just enough facial hair to look awkward. That is my style right now.

Well if that isn't you in your avatar, that changes everything.

Guest Speed Racer

Yes, that is what you said, but you're also right that when you followed it up with the "You must have a small record collection" comment you kind of made a pretty underhanded/judgemental assumption. So the record collection comment modified the initial, "I like it, you are missing out" to read "I'm terribly sorry you have such awful taste in music; you're missing out" to some people, myself included.

Not directed at you necessarily, but on the topic:

A lot of people get pretty defensive when people imply that they don't 'get' music; I'm one of them, so of course I can't blame them(/us). Most fans have a very emotional and/or intellectual connection with music; to imply that someone doesn't get something often means to them that you have implied that there is something wrong with the way they experience/create emotions or thoughts. Short version: it's easy to hear that someone is calling you stupid. Nobody likes that. Of course, then it's very easy to react emotionally and without thinking, sounding, uh, stupid.

I was real slow to like SBS, and it's not at all because I didn't 'get' it. I got it just fine, I just didn't like it. Then I didn't listen to it for about 6 months and the songs actually started popping into my head; I didn't mind when this happened, then I put the record on and finally enjoyed it.

Yes, that is what you said, but you're also right that when you followed it up with the "You must have a small record collection" comment you kind of made a pretty underhanded/judgemental assumption. So the record collection comment modified the initial, "I like it, you are missing out" to read "I'm terribly sorry you have such awful taste in music; you're missing out" to some people, myself included.

Not directed at you necessarily, but on the topic:

A lot of people get pretty defensive when people imply that they don't 'get' music; I'm one of them, so of course I can't blame them(/us). Most fans have a very emotional and/or intellectual connection with music; to imply that someone doesn't get something often means to them that you have implied that there is something wrong with the way they experience/create emotions or thoughts. Short version: it's easy to hear that someone is calling you stupid. Nobody likes that. Of course, then it's very easy to react emotionally and without thinking, sounding, uh, stupid.

I was real slow to like SBS, and it's not at all because I didn't 'get' it. I got it just fine, I just didn't like it. Then I didn't listen to it for about 6 months and the songs actually started popping into my head; I didn't mind when this happened, then I put the record on and finally enjoyed it.

You are right in everything you said, and my intention wasn't to be the hipster police. As I stated a few posts above, I feel to say a Wilco record SUCKS is trying to hard to hate and I guess I bit on the bait.

I mean I am very careful with that word and only use it to describe U2 albums :cheekkiss

LOL.

I was coming here to see if there was any new news on the board. A lot of this talk reminds me of another type of phenomena: trying to get someone to watch a particular show you like and they won't do it at all. The same can be said for any band you can pull out of your head. But anyways, I have friends of mine who love Seinfeld religiously and they will not watch Curb Your Enthusiasm even if I lent them a DVD for over a year. Not sure if it's because they didn't feel like they discovered it so they tend to avoid it. Another friend refuses to watch Mr. Show even though he likes similar humor.

I wish there were certain albums in my collection, but finances can prevent every single album I'd like to have from coming into my possession. Time is also a big factor. I think I like having a certain amount of bands I love and buy music from and see shows. Than I'll seek out about 15-20% music that I have no idea about.

I am excited for the record and can understand why some people may feel differently. I like the live stuff I have heard. I can't wait to see how the Tweedy solo songs translate with the whole band. It is a bit upsetting that I have heard all but 2 songs from the new record, even if they were live works in progress. It's my fault but I have a good feeling that it will turn out great.

Kristofor

PS Is there any room on the "I Dislike Leave Me Like You Found Me" train? I can't even think of a 2nd to last least favorite?

Guest Speed Racer
Can we close this thread and try again?

Seriously, until it leaks, what is there to talk about? If you close it today and open a new one today, nothing will have changed. If we leave this one open as a playground until there's a new development, THEN we close and re-open, yeah?

This thread is terrible.

Also, it has no new album news in it.

Seriously, until it leaks, what is there to talk about? If you close it today and open a new one today, nothing will have changed. If we leave this one open as a playground until there's a new development, THEN we close and re-open, yeah?

Shh.

Guest Speed Racer
"Leave Me Like You Found Me"

I just like the trippy almost circus music sounding bridge in that song.. Where else do you hear stuff like that? Not their best, but It's a good song IMO..

I love that you mentioned the bridge, especially "where else do you hear stuff like that?" Every time it comes on, I sing the bridge to "You've Got a Friend" (the THIRD worst song in my universe, after "Leave Me" and "My Darling"). Fits almost perfectly.

You are right in everything you said, and my intention wasn't to be the hipster police. As I stated a few posts above, I feel to say a Wilco record SUCKS is trying to hard to hate and I guess I bit on the bait.

"suck" does not equal "hate". it's more on par with blows than hate.

and for the record, it is lamrod's fault. if he asked if i hate any wilco records i would have said no. if he asked if i disliked any, i would have answered as i did.