New Album News - II

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

I didn't like Candyfloss for a long time, until I was in such a position as to be able to shout the lyrics: "I'm on the sofa/ hopin' she leaves that punk cos/ I'm the boy with the poetry powers/ I'm the boy who smells like flowers/ and every time I make a rhyme/ I live my life like I wasn't invited."

The ST arrangement blows, though. Too damned jangly and Bennetted.

Guest Speed Racer
All these "worst song" choices that aren't on the Wilco Book album are probably wrong.

See, I love that kind of stuff, though. I love demos and insight into the creative process. I have demos for albums by bands I think blow chunks, but I just love listening to that kind of stuff. I value the Wilco Book disc as an integral part of my relationship to the band, but I think of those kinds of records more as documentaries or archival stuff than I do a finished product.

See, I love that kind of stuff, though. I love demos and insight into the creative process. I have demos for albums by bands I think blow chunks, but I just love listening to that kind of stuff. I value the Wilco Book disc as an integral part of my relationship to the band, but I think of those kinds of records more as documentaries or archival stuff than I do a finished product.

Yeah, I totally agree, but if I had to pick one "officially released" Wilco track that I really don't want to listen to, its probably on there. I really like the version of Hummingbird on there, though.

Definitely! One of the cool things about Costello's re-mastered disks is the bundles of tracks and variations of songs.

Pete Townsend generated some extra scratch with his "Scoops" records, which were an interesting glimpse into his writing process. You'd have to pick through some bits that really sucked arse, but you could also find snippets that would find their way into their best albums, thrown away tidbits from the Lifehouse project, etc.

I'm hopeful that Tweedy, in some reminiscent period, decides to release (or even leak) some of the band's recording experiments, his "greatest lost tracks of all time" etc. I remember in an interview where one of their exercises was to record an album in real time and whatever happened, happened. Likely, a lot of noodling happened, but I'd love the chance to mine through it.

I like that version of Hummingbird better than the ABIG version. Anyone else?

I would love to hear them play it live like that.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Wilco Book version of Hummingbird. It's EASILY better than the AGIB version. And YES, if they played it that way live, it would kill.

Candy Floss sounds like a throw-away, but I like it.....the fact it's all Bennetted up makes it even better. It's got a great 70's radio sound.

The jam in Hotel Arizon makes the song great. Outside of ALTWYS, it's the best jam-out in a Wilco song (that's a fact...I looked it up).

All these "worst song" choices that aren't on the Wilco Book album are probably wrong.

I don't think this counts. But it's still pretty awesome. This is New and What Good Am I, particularly.

If I had to pick a worst Wilco song, it would be Heavy Metal Drummer or Forget the Flowers.

Studio version of Panthers is prolly my least favorite track / biggest let down, and I really love the solo acoustical rendition of it, too. With proper love, TLC and nuturing, that song could have been a massively great track on an album. But such is life.

"Bennetted" :cheekkiss

= A mostly beautiful sound.....(ducks and runs......)

-Robert

Studio version of Panthers is prolly my least favorite track / biggest let down, and I really love the solo acoustical rendition of it, too. With proper love, TLC and nuturing, that song could have been a massively great track on an album. But such is life.

Agreed.

-Robert

Guest Speed Racer
= A mostly beautiful sound.....(ducks and runs......)

Pshaw, I totally agree, except Candyfloss and My Darling. Too, too jangly/space-out/pain-killer echo chamber.

There's something I kinda like about the sound of the studio Panthers, but I agree the solo acoustic version is AMAZING.

I like a great deal of the tracks on the Wilco book, Diamond Claw is one my favorite tracks the band has ever put out, and I like the Soma Hummingbird (both versions of this song work for me), and The High Heat a great deal also. On the subject of least favorite/worst songs, it's got to be that B-side/soundtrack cut Glad it's Over, that was the first and hopefully only Wilco song I have ever downloaded and deleted from my ipod. I also really don't like Tried and True the Can't Stand It's b-side, though I love the song Summerteeth (which it eventually became). My least favorite album cut is either Shake it Off or What Light.

--Mike

Oh man, I rarely get ticked when people say they don't like this song or that song..... but man. Forget the Flowers is fantastic! Oh, the pickin'....

"I get ticked every time when someone names the worst Wilco song because there is always a worse Wilco song than the one you named."

There's gotta be one of those guys somewhere out there. :lol