New Album News - II

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly -- I have been humming "All Things Must Pass" often the last few days -- it's been much on my mind lately. So this comes as GREAT news :)

I'm with those who want to wait until the release to hear the new album. The stream of Sky Blue Sky + listening to live recordings very nearly ruined the album for me.

The only Wilco (studio) album that I remember fully enjoying upon first listen was Being There (this was in 2005, not 1996). For the most part I find that a new Wilco record requires concentration, patience, full artwork etc.. Sitting in front of a computer screen is not the way to go.

This is very true, except for me, it was Summerteeth that hit me instantly (I was in a big Beatles/Beach Boys phase, so it went down really easy.) Being There and AGIB I thought were pretty average, but both grew on me. I remember thinking was an YHF impressive record, but I didn't feel an instant personal connection to it. Now it's maybe my fav album of all time.

It wouldn't surprise me if this one takes a little while to grow on me. That being said, I'll still listen to whatever stream/ promo etc we get.

Via Billboard

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/wilco-...003969366.story

Wilco Returns With Eclectic New Album

Wilco will release "Wilco (The Album)" on June 30.

May 05, 2009 01:12 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Wilco revisits the unpredictable leanings of "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" and "A Ghost Is Born" on its latest project, "Wilco (The Album)," due June 30 from Nonesuch. The 11-track set was produced by the band with Jim Scott, who mixed 2007's "Sky Blue Sky."

Whereas that album reveled in a cohesive, laidback vibe and toned down the experimentation of its two predecessors, musically, "Wilco (The Album)" offers a little bit of everything while making good on frontman Jeff Tweedy's stated goal to use "the studio as another instrument."

That approach is best heard on the nearly six-minute "Bull Black Nova," which is built on a pulsating rhythm akin to "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" from "A Ghost Is Born" and is layered with clattering piano and unhinged, interlocking guitar workouts.

Elsewhere, Wilco offers up unusual song structures on the gauzy "Deeper Down," which has short verses that come to a full stop and a wealth of sonic details in its nooks and crannies.

The gripping "One Wing" builds from a quiet introductory section to a strident, arena-worthy stomper, while strings and horns color the majestic final portion of album closer "Everlasting." Premiered last year on "The Colbert Report," opener "Wilco the Song" is a humorous, self-referential rocker with the reminder that even when life gets you down, "Wilco will love you, baby."

Fans of Wilco's more straightforward side will revel in "You and I," a gorgeous duet between Tweedy and Feist about the simple pleasures of love. Also in this vein are the hushed, largely acoustic "Solitaire" and the stately, harmony-rich "Country Disappeared."

Rounding out the album, "You Never Know" is a flashback to the ebullient pop/rock of 1999's "Summerteeth," while "Sonny Feeling" kicks out a groovy, slide guitar-laden jam that would fit nicely alongside "Walken" from "Sky Blue Sky."

Pitchfork will rate it 6.1. Slightly better than SBS but still not enough YHF & too much dad rock to deserve higher ratings. :(

Oh who cares what Pitchfork thinks. Half of the records on their best new music section sound like they were recorded on a my first Sony. They have become nothing more then an aging website obsessed with trying to sound relevant to the younger generation. They much more concerned with the scene that an album is geared too then the music itself. Is calling something Dad rock an insult if you are old enough to be a dad? Do Pitchfork writers not age, or do they kicked out the door the minute they grow pubic hair?

Sky Blue Sky (5.0?) and Ghost is Born (6.0?) are still some of the best records of the decade regardelss if PM says they are "relevant" or not.

Oh who cares what Pitchfork thinks. Half of the records on their best new music section sound like they were recorded on a my first Sony. They have become nothing more then an aging website obsessed with trying to sound relevant to the younger generation. They much more concerned with the scene that an album is geared too then the music itself. Is calling something Dad rock an insult if you are old enough to be a dad? Do Pitchfork writers not age, or do they kicked out the door the minute they grow pubic hair?

Sky Blue Sky (5.0?) and Ghost is Born (6.0?) are still some of the best records of the decade regardelss if PM says they are "relevant" or not.

I agree on AGIB, but not on SBS.

Just for the record I never said I didn't like SBS. I just think Wilco made engaging albums before extended Nels solos came along. You don't need to be a guitar god to create an interesting solo. Sometimes proficiency=sterility.

That's why I'm not a Satriani fan.

To me, SBS's weakness was actually mostly from lyrical choices made by Jeff, and arrangement choices made by the whole band. It's unfair to blame everything on Nels.

I agree on AGIB, but not on SBS.

Personally, after the drug filled paranoia of YHF and the chaotic recovery depression of GIB, SBS came as a breath of fresh air. Don't get me wrong I still love those albums, but I was kind of ready for Wilco to make a more straight forward record after such an intense amount of music.

When I heard "Maybe the sun will shine today" for the first time. I cracked a smile, sat down with a cup of coffee (it was Sunday Morning, i remember) and soaked in the warmth. The album may not be as thrilling as the previous two, but it makes up for it in true heart. For once the sonic walls that Jeff had put up over the last few records had come crumbling down. It's really a very soothing record to me, and it seemed to come at just the right time in my life.

It's really a very soothing record to me, and it seemed to come at just the right time in my life.

It did for me too. I recall getting a little verklempt when I first heard the "maybe I won't feel so afraid."

Guest Speed Racer
It's really a very soothing record to me, and it seemed to come at just the right time in my life.

The album dropped during what I imagine might end up being the worst period of my life, when all is said and done - certainly the worst period to date. The, "everything's great! God it used to suck!" vibe was soooooo not what I wanted to hear - kind of rubbing it in, you know? But I tried listening to it, which then only made me associate that horrible period with that record. Finally, about a year later, I was able to put it on and be on the same wavelength as the record. For someone who was really hoping for more self-loathing, self-important doomsday tunes, it took me a while to get into it, but I really do love it for what it is now.

The album dropped during what I imagine might end up being the worst period of my life, when all is said and done - certainly the worst period to date. The, "everything's great! God it used to suck!" vibe was soooooo not what I wanted to hear - kind of rubbing it in, you know? But I tried listening to it, which then only made me associate that horrible period with that record. Finally, about a year later, I was able to put it on and be on the same wavelength as the record. For someone who was really hoping for more self-loathing, self-important doomsday tunes, it took me a while to get into it, but I really do love it for what it is now.

Yeah. If SBS had dropped say...the day after Election last year...I might've been like "BEST ALBUM EVAAARR".

2007 just seemed like a really poor time to be positive for me too.

To me, SBS's weakness was actually mostly from lyrical choices made by Jeff, and arrangement choices made by the whole band. It's unfair to blame everything on Nels.

I agree. I still like the album. Hey, it's Wilco.

I agree. I still like the album. Hey, it's Wilco.

Yeah I mean, if any other band had put out SBS, I would've probably given up after the 2nd listen. But I tried to squeeze some enjoyment out of it. There are maybe 3 songs I love and 3 or 4 others I like.