New Album News - II

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there! There's already been some discussion of the fan photo shoot and props on here, so I don't think you've done any "spoiling." We'd love to hear more about your experience when and if you'd like to share.

I don't know if we really have a timeline for the potential cover art to be made public - from statements the band has made, it sounds like the art was one of the sticking points for this album, so it's probably already later than usual. As far as I know there was no guarantee they were going to use photos from the fan shoot, but that it was one of the strong possibilities. I'm sure it also depended on how the shots came out. But perhaps you know more.

At any rate, welcome to Via Chicago.

Guest Francis X. Hummel
I want to wait til the album comes out before i hear anything else.

me too. i've enjoyed the fact that wilco has streamed their albums, and surely listened to both AGIB and SBS a ton while they were streaming, but it sort of ruined the experience of the actual release of the album for me. i used to love rushing to the store to by an album or movie the day of it's release. being that dweeb that gets there before the store opens so that i can beat the rush, and of course wind up being the only guy standing out front on a seemingly random Tuesday. the last time i did that was for the release of the first Loose Fur album.

i've heard Wilco (the song) on Colbert and at a Jeff solo show, where i also heard Everlasting. other than that, i haven't heard a thing, i haven't read much of anything, and all i know is that on june 30th, i'm going to venture to the store, buy the album, spend way to long trying to open it, pop it in my computer and probably listen to it two or three times in a row. sounds like a fucking awesome Tuesday night to me.

Hi there! There's already been some discussion of the fan photo shoot and props on here, so I don't think you've done any "spoiling." We'd love to hear more about your experience when and if you'd like to share.

I don't know if we really have a timeline for the potential cover art to be made public - from statements the band has made, it sounds like the art was one of the sticking points for this album, so it's probably already later than usual. As far as I know there was no guarantee they were going to use photos from the fan shoot, but that it was one of the strong possibilities. I'm sure it also depended on how the shots came out. But perhaps you know more.

At any rate, welcome to Via Chicago.

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, it was definitely stated more than a few times that nothing was definite. Maybe they've scrapped it all, who knows!

Just being in the presence of someone like Autumn and having her pick me out of a line-up was pretty crazy. And for my favorite band, no less.

I think when the disc is released, even if nothing from the fan shoot is used, I'd be happy to give a beat by beat of what it was like. Even just for a cool Wilco-related story.

But if anyone has any random questions, I'd he happy to answer them as best I can! Thanks again.

-jim

I'm with those who want to wait until the release to hear the new album. The stream of Sky Blue Sky + listening to live recordings very nearly ruined the album for me.

The only Wilco (studio) album that I remember fully enjoying upon first listen was Being There (this was in 2005, not 1996). For the most part I find that a new Wilco record requires concentration, patience, full artwork etc.. Sitting in front of a computer screen is not the way to go.

But if anyone has any random questions, I'd he happy to answer them as best I can! Thanks again.

-jim

Were you in the same shot as the Camel and / or The Wilco?

Songs that suggest Tweedy is at peace with his entire career now, rather than feeling he has to rebel against it.

That is where he's at. And whatever this band is creating at this point in time comes from that. Love it or hate it, but it's the same guy that made ... AM, BT, ST, YHF, AGIB and even SBS.

You can't expect him to rebel, or be tortured if that's no longer in his makeup. Does it detract from him as an artist? I don't think so.

I look forward to hearing this album, knowing it's not going to change my life; only that how my life has changed meets whatever's released at a place where I can embrace it.

I'm with those who want to wait until the release to hear the new album. The stream of Sky Blue Sky + listening to live recordings very nearly ruined the album for me.

The only Wilco (studio) album that I remember fully enjoying upon first listen was Being There (this was in 2005, not 1996). For the most part I find that a new Wilco record requires concentration, patience, full artwork etc.. Sitting in front of a computer screen is not the way to go.

How do you generally listen to new music? Not on your computer?

The stream was a great experience for me - I didn't sit in front of the computer, though.

Great avatar, btw.

I can also honestly say I was hoping for nothing remotely relating to long extended jamminess. I love when critics generalize their own views onto all of us. I can see it now, Wilco returns after Sky Blue Sky, album that left most fans disappointed with its straight forward ness.

I can't think of anything I was hoping for less from this album. :lol

Folks who heard this at our basement show were much in agreement on the George Harrison vibe. And for some of the folks there, there could be no greater compliment. :yes

:wub I wanted to hear this album again, immediately! I can't wait for a chance to leave it on repeat for a few days.

So...it seems like a slightly more experimental Sky BLue Sky? Excellent sign me up...!!

Were you in the same shot as the Camel and / or The Wilco?

It was seperate from the band/camel shoot. Jeff had informed the audience I guess at their 4/14 show in Milwaukee to come back to the venue at 5pm the next day for a shoot. I hadn't gone to that show (I went the next day) but I did see it on the Wilco website, so my fiance and I went. Jeff, Glenn and John made a brief appearance, walking from the venue to their bus. But this shoot was all fans (and some of their pets).

I can't think of anything I was hoping for less from this album. :lol

Yeah, me too!

This review seems to confirm my expectations that this album while maybe not groundbreaking will be full of more striking material than SBS, and will be produced with a little more complexity and studio work that I find to be particularly rewarding in Wilco albums. Yay!

you guys know that because of boards on the net like this, bands are going to have start announcing leak dates instead of just album release dates. My question is, what will come before leak date?

you guys know that because of boards on the net like this, bands are going to have start announcing leak dates instead of just album release dates. My question is, what will come before leak date?

That's only so we know which extras to pre-order, and how long we can listen to the album before we actually receive our pre-ordered order.

That's only so we know which extras to pre-order, and how long we can listen to the album before we actually receive our pre-ordered order.

Seriously, there are only two bands that I will blind buy these days. Wilco and Radiohead. Still, it is so wrong to want to hear the album as soon as possible? There is a good chance I will still buy the LP/CD/Tote bag even if I dislike the album LOL.