New Album News - II

* There's a song called Dark Neon that appeared and disappeared from the Wilcoworld tracklisting, and will likely be an extra track or B-side or something of that sort (perhaps like Let's Not Get Carried Away?)

I hope to God that Dark Neon wasn't one of the Harrison-inspired cuts! Do you recall?

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope to God that Dark Neon wasn't one of the Harrison-inspired cuts! Do you recall?

was that the other song he played? I remember the album, the Guthrie tune and one other track that he said was new, but wasn't going to be on the album.

Is this a rhetorical question?

I drive a Nissan, so I can't really speak to it at this time.

I agree with you in terms of what you are saying. I love Wilco and I also love Ryan Adams, but you are right, I can make a Ryan Adams mix and most of it all fits. Wilco is truly an album band with each being a different feel and different vibe.

Because of this, Wilco should work with Robert Schnieder of apples in stereo fame to produce their next record. IMHO I don't think anyone matches his production style in creating a story if you will out of music. 1st to last track on all of his production work, to me, tells a story.

I know this will probably never happen but that would be a very interesting mix. Probably really poppy though.

I would actually bet on a much later leak than usual - probably closer to sometime in June. They're not even playing the tracks live right now, which is a departure for them (right?). And Jeff said something recently about wanting to keep it under wraps this time around.

This part of the conversation all hinges on why albums actually leak. Do they leak when the promo copies are sent to journalists (typically one month in advance it seems) or do they leak after it is mastered and there are about four or five engineers that have their hands on a copy because they worked on it in some respect. It just takes one of those dudes giving it to a friend, and that friend posting it, or giving it to another friend and BOOM. I think both happen. Maybe some are leaked on purpose, or balooned so to speak.

There's nothing dumb about "The Jolly Banker", it's hhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

An opinion that one should fear that there will be aspects of the album not to his or her liking, based on past experience. I think it's valid to assume that, since one hasn't appreciated Pat's contributions to Sky Blue Sky, one might assume there's a good chance the same would be true for the new album.

Do you mean Pat or Nels? Because a good portion of the complaints in the previous thread (and others for a good period of time) revolve around Nels and his "shredding" or having an obligatory solo in every Wilco song. Unless either of us set through the creative process, listened to every track and every take, we don't honestly know what Pat or Nels or any one member's influence on the overall project -- save for Jeff Tweedy. But even with Tweedy, he's the prism through which we see this band -- however the final product gets recorded, mixed, edited, cut, overdubbed etc. I think any fears about whatever the next album might be are baseless. You may have preconceived notions about what Pat's influence is, that you believe you know him intimately as a musician and his musical theoretical approach to how he plays, what he plays and how much influence he exerts over the final product. If I took such an approach I'd be forced to admit I was harboring preconceived biases that are based on what I think I think I think.

Again, for the record, I'm not a huge fan of Sky Blue Sky. There are parts of it that I think are really beautiful, and I'm thrilled that Jeff Tweedy thinks it's the best album he's ever made, but it's mostly not my cup of tea. I have no expectations about the new album, nor any opinion on how it's going to sound, but I can see how someone else might be concerned they might not like the new album if they didn't like the last one.

I can completely appreciate your opinion on this, and I understand that based on what you think of the final version -- the 40-odd minutes that comprise that album (50+ with the various extras), you can say "I don't want that album again." I had great personal attachment to SBS when it was released, but I realize my emotional attachment may not hold up to how that album ranks in Wilco's discography (and not chronological either). Even if I thought that album was the ultimate, I think we would both share the fear of them making the same album twice, even if not for the same reason. It means they've stagnated as artists.

If they're artists, who they were on this album -- and more importantly, how they approached it collectively (physically, emotionally and artistically) -- is different than two years ago. Just as Tweedy is a different songwriter and performer than the one who wrote Black Eye. Imagine if you had feared Being There because it would just sound like "That's Not the Issue." Or if you worried they'd forget their "alt.country" roots. Or you wrote the band off because their future was "Misunderstood."

Perhaps I'm overly analytical and boring by boring into minutiae. There are many moments to an artist -- live and studio -- and each moment can be beautiful or ugly. That they're compelling artists make me willing to appreciate each.

Do you mean Pat or Nels? Because a good portion of the complaints in the previous thread (and others for a good period of time) revolve around Nels and his "shredding" or having an obligatory solo in every Wilco song. Unless either of us set through the creative process, listened to every track and every take, we don't honestly know what Pat or Nels or any one member's influence on the overall project -- save for Jeff Tweedy. But even with Tweedy, he's the prism through which we see this band -- however the final product gets recorded, mixed, edited, cut, overdubbed etc. I think any fears about whatever the next album might be are baseless. You may have preconceived notions about what Pat's influence is, that you believe you know him intimately as a musician and his musical theoretical approach to how he plays, what he plays and how much influence he exerts over the final product. If I took such an approach I'd be forced to admit I was harboring preconceived biases that are based on what I think I think I think.

I meant Pat as an example - should have been more clear. Nels is the obvious example, of course, and there's no way I would need to be in the studio to understand what some measure of his influence is on the sound of Sky Blue Sky. If one has a knowledge of the style of Nels's (or Pat's or whoever's) playing, one can get an idea of what that member will bring to the next record, regardless of the style of the underlying song.

I can completely appreciate your opinion on this, and I understand that based on what you think of the final version -- the 40-odd minutes that comprise that album (50+ with the various extras), you can say "I don't want that album again." I had great personal attachment to SBS when it was released, but I realize my emotional attachment may not hold up to how that album ranks in Wilco's discography (and not chronological either). Even if I thought that album was the ultimate, I think we would both share the fear of them making the same album twice, even if not for the same reason. It means they've stagnated as artists.

Well, I don't think anyone really expects them to make the same album as last time - although, this is, after all, the first Wilco lineup that's the same across two albums - but again, if one does not like the contributions of one member on the last album, it's perfectly reasonable for them to assume they will not like his contributions to the next one.

If they're artists, who they were on this album -- and more importantly, how they approached it collectively (physically, emotionally and artistically) -- is different than two years ago. Just as Tweedy is a different songwriter and performer than the one who wrote Black Eye. Imagine if you had feared Being There because it would just sound like "That's Not the Issue." Or if you worried they'd forget their "alt.country" roots. Or you wrote the band off because their future was "Misunderstood."

Perhaps I'm overly analytical and boring by boring into minutiae. There are many moments to an artist -- live and studio -- and each moment can be beautiful or ugly. That they're compelling artists make me willing to appreciate each.

But there are people who didn't like Being There because it wasn't A.M. 2, and that's perfectly natural and OK.

I'm sure I'll like this new album because I've liked every project Jeff has been involved in, some more than others, but to me none of them suck. I just have the same reservations about Wilco as I do about myself. I wrote much better songs when I was younger, less satisfied with life and more driven to shake things up and challenge people's preconceptions. I too like the fact that every Wilco album has been different from the one before. I just think the last album happened to be the most tame. Now that could be because of the addition of an accomplished jazz guitarist, or because Jeff is in a more comfortable place, or because I needed more from them at the time of this albums release. Maybe I needed reassurance that my favorite band and I were not getting old. There was always something about the previous albums that pissed people off in an anti-establishment way. The last album just seemed to piss people off because it was so conventional. Not that I give a shit, I just kind of agree with the conventional part. It makes me uncomfortable when my mom wants me to burn her a copy.

Guest Jules
There's nothing dumb about "The Jolly Banker", it's hhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

g

ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

e

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

:lol

Oh hell yeah. Sylar is now Nathan who thinks he's Nathan. Peter has Sylar's powers and Matt Parkman is in on all of it. Claire has no idea and neither does Peter. Angela and Claire's dad are masterminding the whole thing and Hiro's power is taking it's toll. Man, this shit is off the hook. Oh yeah, and Wilco's new album. Something.

Sorry if this has been touched upon already, but I haven't had time to read through the entire thread (most of which seemed to be about Sky Blue Sky, incidentally!)... Was the release date pushed back or something? I thought the record was due out in late May... In any case I'm a little bummed that I won't be able to listen to the record before seeing the band play twice in June. I was really looking forward to digging into the record for a few weeks before the live shows. You think they'll start streaming the songs from their website before the release?

Sorry if this has been touched upon already, but I haven't had time to read through the entire thread (most of which seemed to be about Sky Blue Sky, incidentally!)... Was the release date pushed back or something? I thought the record was due out in late May... In any case I'm a little bummed that I won't be able to listen to the record before seeing the band play twice in June. I was really looking forward to digging into the record for a few weeks before the live shows. You think they'll start streaming the songs from their website before the release?

I hope so! Their show in Madrid is 26th May and I have first row tickets! But I wouldn't hold my breath on it

I hope so! Their show in Madrid is 26th May and I have first row tickets! But I wouldn't hold my breath on it

Hey, I have a good friend in Madrid. I wonder if he's going to be at the show? (That's rhetorical... I wouldn't expect you to know.)