Missed that.

This 2nd set is not starting off very well.

The UJB was a bit of train wreck, never heard this second song before. Peaceful Mary????

peaceful valley, ryan adams. Phil covered a bunch of his stuff with the barraco/cambell/sless/osborne/osby line up. Not really liking this version.

The jam is coming along well though.

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm listening to this show:

Grateful Dead Live at Campus Stadium - University Of California on 1973-05-20

Taper's Section (February 15 - February 21, 2010)

Greetings, and a giant welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we'll hear music from 1974 and 1982, two distinct yet excellent years in Grateful Dead history.

Our first stop this week is at Winterland on 2/23/74, the middle night of a three night stand at the band's then-Bay Area home. We've played some music from this show's big second set jam previously, but we're very pleased to have some of the music from earlier in the second set, specifically Weather Report Suite>Stella Blue. This is one of the longer WRS sequences I've heard, and it's really great, too.

Our next stop is in Reno, Nevada on 3/13/82, when the Grateful Dead were doing a super mini tour consisting of two cities, Reno and Davis, CA, the only two March shows in 1982 for the band. This sequence features the end of the second set, The Other One>Black Peter>Around and Around>Good Lovin'. Pay special attention to the transition between Other One and Black Peter for a definite tease of a very famous song. This sequence was drawn from the cassette master tapes, demonstrating that some cassette masters sound pretty darn good.

Next up, from the aforementioned Davis show on 3/14/82, we have the first part of the first set, consisting of One More Saturday Night>Sugaree, Me and My Uncle>Mexicali Blues, Bird Song>Little Red Rooster, followed by the second half of the first set, featuring Ramble On Rose, Looks Like Rain, Althea, Let It Grow. You can tell by the amazing guitar runs Jerry plays on the opening OMSN that this was going to be a first cabin concert, and the rest of the set shows this to be true. Killer Let It Grow to end it all.

Be sure to stop in next week for some tasty tunes from 1972, 1984 and 1987. As always, we welcome and encourage you to write to us at the email address below. Please put “Grateful Dead” in your subject line to make sure it breaks through the spam barriers.

David Lemieux

Well then - welcome to the thread, roadhse ma. :cheers If you use the search function you'll find this is the 3rd or 4th installment of the Dead Thread (going back a few years). God only knows what kind of unintelligible gibberish I've posted in here over the years, but there has been some real insight from most of us. :lol

Aman - I've never heard that 5/20/73 show. Isn't that one of the 3 set monsters?

Help Phil Lesh Build His Birthday Float

The Unbroken Chain Foundation is currently working with the Charity Folks website to raise money for Haitian Earthquake Relief. To this end, six auctions are currently underway that tie in to the Furthur & Friends Phil Lesh Birthday Celebration at Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, CA on Friday, March 12. The winners will meet Lesh before the show to offer him 70th birthday greetings and then help build the float that the auction winners will ride on during the event. In addition, each high bidder will receive a ticket to the VIP section and lounge along with an event T-shirt and a poster signed by Lesh and Bob Weir. Bidding will conclude on March 5.

God, I love that guy. I was always a Phil Zone guy back in the day (probably because I was an uber-geek, and Phil was the dude I related to best). If I wasn't so strapped for $$$ I'd be in on this in a heartbeat.

Anyone around New England Checking out one of the 2 local Futhur Shows?

I am Considering the 1 hr plus trek from Boston to NH tomm night

Do it. They've been getting really good reviews and have improved a shitload since September. Really looking forward to the 2 Denver shows in a few weeks. Downloads/streams here:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=phil%20lesh%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&sort=-date

I will say one thing - it is nice to see them play whatever they want, without worrying about what songs belong in what set. I understand there is such a thing as flow, but if you want to open the show with Dark Star, then why not just do it.

Sunshine (Garcia) Becker is Mountain Girl's daughter?

I could not agree more about playing whatever you want, even if it isn't what would be generally considered to be 'in the flow' or whatever. Some of the guys in the band were complaining about what Phil called the "ossification" of the setlists early in the second half of the Dead's career. The reason I got hooked in the first place was because I live for the unexpected, and many of the shows I saw that I would consider awesome were the ones where something unusual happened with the setlists, or the segues.

Oh - and about Sunshine. I'm fairly certain that she's MG's kid with Ken Kesey. I wasn't aware that Jerry adopted her though. Hmmm.

I wonder how she came to be in the band.

When I looked up her name, there were various views about her name(s).

They must have been sick of the pattern at the end of the original band.

I know Hornsby really hated the way they had specific places for songs at the end. I remember reading him trying to get the band to open with a second set with Wharf Rat and he was told it belonged post space.

I'm not necessarily a fan of the whole each dude needs to have a spot to shine deal. I prefer jamming in general. That is, the whole band grooving and creating together. And then, in the midst of that, solos can evolve as they are born in the moment. Or something like that.

Here is an official link

to that July 7, 1989 cd/dvd set that I mentioned earlier.

Here’s a cool way to kick off the new year and decade: Coming soon is a fantastic new release called Crimson White and Indigo, a DVD/3-CD set that captures every second of the Grateful Dead’s superb July 7, 1989 concert at Philadelphia’s John F. Kennedy Stadium. If you loved the popular 2005 DVD/CD release Truckin’ Up to Buffalo, from July 4, 1989, well, this is the very next show: why, it’s practically like being on tour without having to pitch in gas money, eat bad road food, swelter in the heat or score a miracle ticket. Nope, all the work has been done for you—from the crisp multiple-camera shoot (with no video effects, you’ll be happy to hear) to the crystal clear and powerful audio, mixed from the original 24-track analog tapes in both Dolby Digital stereo and 5.1 surround (for the DVD), and mastered in HDCD (for the CD). But the proof is (always!) in the playing, and this show from the sizzling summer of ’89 tour is sure to please both hard core and casual fans with its energy, diverse song list and passionate playing.

The beautifully designed package for Crimson, White and Indigo (the name comes from a line in “Standing on the Moon,” of course) includes loads of great photos by Bob Minkin and an essay from veteran Grateful Dead observer Steve Silberman. All in all it’s a wonderful show from a great year!

Interesting. I guess that is what has become of View From The Vault?

I'd rather see an official release of Sunshine Daydream.

It would be great for an official releases of Sunshine Daydream; the only bits of that movie I have seen are the one's on YouTube.

It would be great for an official releases of Sunshine Daydream; the only bits of that movie I have seen are the one's on YouTube.

I preety sure the whole thing (at least all circulating footage, I hear there is a video of Sing me Back Home in the vault) is available on google video.

There also versions of it (audio and video) up at various Bit Torrent sites. I grabbed it a few years ago. Still, it be nice to see a professionally released version. In that interview that Relix did with him years ago, David Lemieux talked about releasing the film someday.

There also versions of it (audio and video) up at various Bit Torrent sites. I grabbed it a few years ago. Still, it be nice to see a professionally released version. In that interview that Relix did with him years ago, David Lemieux talked about releasing the film someday.

I believe the film rights are owned by Kesey/kesey estates/whatever.

I believe the film rights are owned by Kesey/kesey estates/whatever.

I guess he does not say exactly.

2009 interview (he references the 2005 interview)

PG: Which brings me to this. I know I have a bootleg copy and I’m sure others do as well, but any news on a release of Veneta ’72?

DL: I’m sure that people are working on it. I always say that because I’ve been watching people work on it now for six or eight years. For 1972 a representation of the band it’s certainly one of the coolest. Whether it’s one of the coolest or not is irrelevant, it’s one of the only. Also, it happened to be a good show. Unfortunately, the movie’s only 70 or 90 minutes. It’s not the whole show. I’m saying unfortunately, but from 1972 it would be nice to see five minutes of material like that. I definitely think that people way higher up than me are working on that kind of arrangement. I hope so.

Hopefully, someday it’s released only because I know that some people would like to see it. And also, the Dead have the 16-track audio. That’s the thing I’ve always looked forward to. I think the video’s good. I like it. But, what I’ve always looked forward to is a surround sound mix of the “Dark Star” because we have the 16-track audio. That, to me, would be worth the price of admission, to hear a DTS or Dolby Digital surround sound mix of that.

JPG: Yes. That would be very nice.

DL: Honestly, I don’t know how further along it was since the last time you asked [back in 2005] only because I don’t hear anything. And it’s the kind of thing where should it ever go into an agreement level then I would probably just get the call saying, ‘Okay, we need to get the tapes up to a mixing person.’ That would be my involvement.

JPG: Is this the type of thing where with Rhino involved now and its team of lawyers they could make something like this become a reality?

DL: You are completely right. That’s exactly the kind of thing that they are very equipped to do…I don’t know much more than GDP, but definitely they are much equipped to do that kind of thing. They’re the kinds of people who can make something like that happen. The video is under 90 minutes but the show is almost three hours, I guess. So, what would be cool would be the whole movie and then the CD as a separate release. Not separate but maybe an included release – the three-CD release from the multi-track mix. That would be pretty cool.

JPG: That sounds like it could be the next big release.

DL: Yeah, it could be. Could be.

Edited by Analogman

Indeed, that would be the shit. I've had really great-sounding cassetes of that show for 25 years, and CD copies for at least 10, and Mike graciously sent me sweet DVD of the video footage as well. But a HDCD would be something I could not pass on.

NRPS officially released their set a few years back, and you guys NEED that set. It is a killer.