• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pigjanis.jpg

The King and Queen of San Francisco Blues. RIP Pig (9/8/45 - 3/8/73)

Primal Pigpen Blues - A Pigpen Compilation (streaming audio by way of Panic Stream.com)

Grateful Dead

Primal Pigpen Blues - A Pigpen Compilation

1966-1972

Disk 1 / Set I:

01. Tastebud (Come Back Baby) - 66-05-19 - Avalon

02. Ain't It Crazy (The Rub) - 71-04-28 - Fillmore East

03. Chinatown Shuffle - 72-04-14 - Copenhagen, Denmark

04. I'm A King Bee - 66-11-19 - Fillmore

05. Easy Wind - 70-12-31 - Winterland

06. The Same Thing - 67-03-18 - Winterland

07. It Hurts Me Too - 67-10-22 - Winterland

08. In The Midnight Hour - 67-09-03 - Rio Nido, CA

Disk 2 / Set II:

01. Mr. Charlie - 72-05-26 - London, UK

02. Pain in My Heart - 66-11-19 - Fillmore

03. Next Time You See Me - 72-04-26 - Frankfurt, Germany

04. Smokestack Lightnin' - 70-02-14 - Fillmore East

05. Sick and Tired - 66-05-19 - Avalon

06. Big Boss Man - 66-07-17 - Fillmore

07. Two Souls in Communion - 72-05-04 - Paris, France

08. Good Lovin'> - 71-04-25 - Fillmore East

09. Turn On Your Lovelight - 68-02-14 - Carousel Ballroom

Encore:

10. Hey Jude - 69-03-01 - Fillmore West

Lineage: Various SBDs> shn> wav> CD> wav> FLAc Frontend

Nice! :cheers That made me dig out one of my many Pig Tribute tapes I used to make on cassette. This one was made on 3/8/00:

Side A:

Katie Mae - 2/13/70

Schoolgirl - 11/8/69

The Rub - 4/28/71

Caution - 11/3/65

King Bee - 2/11/69

Mr. Charlie - 5/26/72

Hurts Me Too - 5/24/72

Hard To Handle - 2/14/70

Side B:

Easy Wind - 5/15/70

The Same Thing - 3/18/67

Chinatown Shuffle - 5/11/72

Big Boss Man - 4/5/71

Operator - 9/18/70

Good Lovin' - 11/8/69

Pain In My Heart - 11/19/66

Next Time You See Me - 4/26/72

Now that I have a shitload of newer SBD Pig stuff I should make another mix. :lol

I never did the whole tape trading deal. I never got into such things until I went to my first Wilco show.

When I think of cassette tapes, I usually think of metal bands. As almost all of my metal collection was on tape. I still have the first tapes I ever got - around 1976 or 1977.

I still associate some tunes/shows with specific writings/designs on my tapes. All in huge tupperware boxes at this point....

Haa! I was cleaning my garage on sunday, came across "the tapes", funky artwork intact and uneven quality recordings is what makes them mine

maybe a little more dust than last time.....just had to find another space for 'em,hell, i'll never throw 'em out.

I'd just as soon cut off a limb before I'd get rid of the tapes. This huge pile of case logic boxes lining my wall in this room here - hell, that's my LIFE from about '84-'95 or so.

Since we are discussing tape covers:

Part if the archive in New York includes (which would be cool to see):

The handiwork of Dick Latvala, a Deadhead who became the band’s tape archivist in the 1990s, is also on display: He decorated their audiotape boxes with birds, flaming suns, and other images and notations. Sparked by Garcia’s interest in the genre, comic books—authorized and bootleg (one says it’s “unauthorized and proud of it”)—began to appear and many of them are in the show.

"The (link) Art of the Grateful Dead."

Dick's 5.8.77 tape box.

Dick's 11.7/8.7 tape box.

Dick's notebook page regarding 5.8.77 show.

Edited by calvino

The Road Trips came in today. I'm listening to it right now. Very nice. Since they were going with this time frame I REALLY wish they would've put out 12/1/71, though. Phil is really on here (11/14 Other One), but imo his stuff on 12/1 is some of the very finest playing of his career.

Not knocking this one at all - it's VERY good. But now it just means that 12/1 won't see the light of day for a long time (if ever) and that's a shame. It's out there of course (I have the SBD on cassette :stunned ) but it really deserves a commercial release. I think it's that good.

Furthur Live at Bill Graham Civic Auditorium on 2010-03-12 (Archive.org link)

Furthur2010-03-12.nak300.gilmore.xxxxxx.flac16 (bt.etree.org link)

A Benefit Concert for the Unbroken Chain Foundation

Proceeds to support Haitian Earthquake Relief

Set I: Acoustic:

Performers: Phil Lesh (on Ritter bass), Bob Weir, John Kadlecik, Jeff Chimenti, Jay Lane, Sunshine Becker, Zoe Ellis, Steve Molitz, Jackie Greene, Chris Robinson

Set II:

Performers: Phil Lesh (on Modulus bass), Bob Weir, John Kadlecik, Jeff Chimenti, Joe Russo, Jay Lane, Sunshine Becker, Zoe Ellis, Jackie Greene, Chris Robinson

Set III:

Performers: Phil Lesh (on Modulus bass), Bob Weir, John Kadlecik, Jeff Chimenti, Joe Russo, Sunshine Becker, Zoe Ellis, John Molo, Steve Molitz, Jackie Greene, Chris Robinson

Set I (8:10pm – 9:20pm)

01 Ripple (BW)

02 Lazy River Road (JK)

03 Peggy-O (CR)

04 Two Souls in Communion (CR)

05 Brokedown Palace (JG)

06 A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (BW)

07 They Love Each Other (CR)

08 Mountains of the Moon (PL)

09 Attics of My Life (All)

Set II: (10:05pm – 11:40pm)

01 Scarlet Begonias (JG)

02 Minglewood Blues (BW)

03 Easy Wind (CR) >

04 New Speedway Boogie (JG)

05 Viola Lee Blues V1 (All) >

06 High Time (CR)

07 Caution Jam > Viola Lee Blues V2 (All) >

08 Hard To Handle (CR) > Viola Lee Blues V3 (All) >

09 Like A Rolling Stone (CR) >

10 Sugaree (CR)

Set III: (12:10am – 2:00am)

01 Not Fade Away Jam (Parade of floats) >

02 Happy Birthday, Dear Phil! (Balloon drop) > Not Fade Away Jam

03 Playing in the Band (BW) > Jam >

04 St. Stephen (All) >

05 The Other One (BW) >

06 Elevator (SM lead jam) >

07 Unbroken Chain (PL)

08 Comes a Time (CR) >

09 Cream Puff War (CR) (w/two Go-Go dancers on stage) >

10 Franklin's Tower (PL, JG)

11 Donor Rap & Phil thanks the audience and band

12 Johnny B. Goode (BW)

Oh yeah. I have some P&F shows from Vegas (I want to say from Fall '05) with Chris and he fits right in. The dude is just one hell of a singer, one of the best in our time, really.

phillesh1.jpg

"The Coolest 70 Year Old On Earth" :lol

Happy Birthday, Professor! :cheers

Oh yeah. I have some P&F shows from Vegas (I want to say from Fall '05) with Chris and he fits right in. The dude is just one hell of a singer, one of the best in our time, really.

I've got a few shows with CR and P&F too and always appreciate the vocals he brings. Fall '04/winter '05 he did a bunch of shows with them. Also, guys from Railroad Earth, Particle, Galactic sitting in (they were openers for some shows, too). There are some nice shows with some mandolin/fiddle from the RRE fellas, in particular.

Taper's Section (March 15- March 21, 2010)

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we'll be checking in on three full first sets from 1987 and 1988.

Our first stop this week is on 9/16/87, the second of the five night run at Madison Square Garden, the Grateful Dead's first appearance there since 1983. The first set this night was quite standard for the time, with one rather glaring exception: Scarlet Begonias was the second song of the night, popping out of a joyous Touch of Grey. Now THAT caught everyone off guard. We're pleased to present you with Touch Of Grey > Scarlet Begonias; Little Red Rooster; Dire Wolf; My Brother Esau; High Time; Let It Grow > Don't Ease Me In. the next night, on 9/17/87, jerry and bob made their famous appearance on letterman in which bobby, dave and biff attempted to levitate jerry, an old parlor trick.

From a little less than a year later, on 9/5/88 at the Capital Center in Landover, MD, we have the first set consisting of Iko Iko; Walkin' Blues; Ramble On Rose; Mama Tried > Mexicali Blues; Row Jimmy; Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again; When Push Comes To Shove; The Music Never Stopped. This is the show after the breakout of Ripple on 9/3/88, and the crowd was pumped by Saturday's developments.

Lastly this week, from 9/8/88 at the Spectrum in Philadelphia to start a four night run of shows, we have the first set, made up of Let The Good Times Roll > Shakedown Street ; Walkin' Blues ; To Lay Me Down ; It's All Over Now ; Loser ; Let It Grow. This was a real hit-and-miss tour, and this set is certainly one of the hits.

Be sure to join us next week for more great stuff here at the Tapers' Section. As always, we encourage your emails at the address below.

David Lemieux

Love the intro to that Letterman show mentioned above, before the opening theme it fades in on Jerry and Dave playing scrabble, Jerry is putting the finishing touch (i.e. the 'n') on truckin...

Dave: "Truckin? That's not a word!"

Jerry: "Sure it is, man, - truckin!"

Dave: "See, that's why I hate playing scrabble with you"

Jerry: "Well, we could play monopoly if you'd let me be the top hat"

Dave: "It's MY show, I get to be the top hat"

Jerry looks at camera: "Is this where I say 'live from New York'?"

Also love how the first thing out of Jerry's mouth when he & Bob sit down is to interrupt Dave to thank Paul & the band for "letting us sit in with them tonight", so gracious.

Happy birthday Phil.

I actually remember watching that Letterman, so cool.

They are playing the 3/12/10 further show on gdradio right now. Either somebody really sounds like him or that's Chris Robinson from Black Crowes singing Sugaree.

I actually remember watching that Letterman, so cool.

They are playing the 3/12/10 further show on gdradio right now. Either somebody really sounds like him or that's Chris Robinson from Black Crowes singing Sugaree.

It is him. Look up, to see what's going down.

Jerry and Bob on The David Letterman 9/17/87 Part #1

Jerry and Bob on The David Letterman 9/17/87 Part #2

I do have the Letterman show with Bob & Jerry on VHS here. Very surreal stuff.

Paul's organ on Masterpiece sounded great. I'm curious to know what songs the band played going into and out of the breaks.

Thanks for the links, I don't remember seeing the footage before.

I'm curious to know what songs the band played going into and out of the breaks.

When they appeared in '89 they supposedly played Mighty Quinn, Hideaway, and Good Lovin' during the breaks. Not sure about the '87 appearance.

Letterman '82 they did Deep Elem and Monkey & Engineer....