• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When they appeared in '89 they supposedly played Mighty Quinn, Hideaway, and Good Lovin' during the breaks. Not sure about the '87 appearance.

Letterman '82 they did Deep Elem and Monkey & Engineer....

Thanks for the info. I never saw the 89 show footage, I liked the

. Esp. Weir and Garcia trading of verses. Another fine interview, too. I wonder what happen to the Moscow plans?

Listened to Dead Set for the first time in a spell this morning. I always thought it had a great vibes, even though it's pieced together and not a continuous show. the sound was always very warm, to me. The re-mastered version (that I listened to this morning) is even better, obviously. The "Fire" out of Space always sparks up my day.

Dead Set has always been a favorite of mine of their releases. It was sort of my intro to the Dead, so perhaps some of it is for sentimental reasons. Always loved the FOTD on that release.

Since we are discussing Dead's late night show appearances, Here is a clip from the May 7, 1981 from Tom Snyder Show. 3 acoustic songs. Great stuff, esp. the Deep Elm Blues. Wish they had bit more shots of Brent playing the piano, though.

Weinberg would be a good guess. Him, or one of the Hell's Honkies (maybe Dr. Ed Perlstein?)

I'll look it up and see what I can find.

Weinberg would be a good guess. Him, or one of the Hell's Honkies (maybe Dr. Ed Perlstein?)

I'll look it up and see what I can find.

I suppose that may be a first. I don't know all the technical aspects of every release, but I don't recall reading about an AUD source being used on an official release before.

I'm thinking it may have been done before on one of the early shows, I can't recall for sure.

Here's Blair's liner notes regarding the the show you mentioned:

"Unfortunately, The Dark Star on the recently rediscovered master SBD recordings of the Yale Bowl show is missing a couple of minutes from the early part of the jam (no doubt the victim of a tardy reel change)...

We've elected to patch the Star with an audience-recorded version of the missing section - certainly not perfect, but at least it's complete and captures the song's full flow."

I can't remember hearing an obvious switch but I'll give it a listen and see.

Ok. Aman, I went to the Taper's Addendum (the one with the Latvala tribute) and there is a lengthy interview with Weinberg by Michael Getz. He most definitely DID tape the 7/31/71 Yale Bowl show. In fact he has a list in there of all the shows he taped - the great majority of them are from the '70-'71 period.

Marty didn't discuss the Yale Bowl taping with Getz, but he does talk a great deal about the Port Chester 2/71 & the Fillmore 4/71 runs.

The dude at Archive seems to be correct.

Just got back from Laser Dead at CU, there was interpretive dancers during the show as well. Weird. But always good to hear the dead nice and loud.

Ok. Aman, I went to the Taper's Addendum (the one with the Latvala tribute) and there is a lengthy interview with Weinberg by Michael Getz. He most definitely DID tape the 7/31/71 Yale Bowl show. In fact he has a list in there of all the shows he taped - the great majority of them are from the '70-'71 period.

Marty didn't discuss the Yale Bowl taping with Getz, but he does talk a great deal about the Port Chester 2/71 & the Fillmore 4/71 runs.

The dude at Archive seems to be correct.

I should have looked there. Now I wonder if they snagged the file from Archive.org.

The version of The Other One on Road Trips Volume 1, Number 3 is pretty cool (except for Weir moving to Me and My Uncle).

I could tell as soon as I heard it. I read that last night, but I was curious as to why they did not acknowledge the source.

Perhaps the answer is over at the thread going on at disc discussion over Dead.net. I know Blair Jackson and David Gans chimes in every now and than. I know "technically" tapers were not allow to tape back then, so perhaps Rhino felt they didn't need to give Weinberg any credit. I am assuming that this was a Rhino decision and not the Dead's decision, though I could be wrong.

Perhaps the answer is over at the thread going on at disc discussion over Dead.net. I know Blair Jackson and David Gans chimes in every now and than. I know "technically" tapers were not allow to tape back then, so perhaps Rhino felt they didn't need to give Weinberg any credit. I am assuming that this was a Rhino decision and not the Dead's decision, though I could be wrong.

I wondered about that.

I am still looking for this show (which is still a dead seed at bt.etree.org):

MOTB Release: 0046 16bit/44.1Khz

Release Date: 09/11/2007

Band: Jerry Garcia and Merl Saunders

Date: 06/04/1975 - Wednesday

Venue: Keystone

Source: Audience FOB Recording

Media: Maxell UD90

Lineage: Sony ECM-270 and ECM-250 [Positioned Onstage] > Sony TC-152 > MAC

Transfer: MAC > Nak Dragon > LynxTWO-B > WaveLab 5.0 > HD 24/96 WAV

Taper: Bob Menke and Louis Falanga

Transfer: Bob Menke

Mastering: Derek McCabe

I noticed this is seeding at Lossless Legs: link

It turns out that I have it, and forgot that I had it. Question is - where did I get it? Every place I looked it was a dead seed. That may be where I got it from.

I spent a great deal of time this past Winter redoing all of my track lists, and getting rid of CDRs of albums that I ended up buying. Or albums that people sent me that I could just not get into. I must have it got it during that time and forgot about it.

I also gained a case full of Ryan Adams studio stuff, and Led Zeppelin soundboards.

Taper's Section (March 22- March 28, 2010)

This week we're going to check in on 11 years of Grateful Dead history, from 1972, 1982 and 1983, a good mix of great music.

Our first stop this week is on 8/25/72 at Berkeley Community Theatre, where we'll check out the two big non-Dark Star, non-Other One jam vehicles of the era, Bird Song, Playing In The Band. Both of these tunes were usually played in the first set at the time, allowing the first set a good dose of jamming before the real second set fireworks began. Both of these versions stretch way out there. The very next show, on 8/27/72, would be the very famous Veneta show.

Next up is music from 8/29/82 in Seattle, a show that took place a day after the second decedenal Veneta show. From Seattle we have the end of the first set, featuring West L.A. Fadeaway ; Little Red Rooster ; Loser ; Cassidy ; It Must Have Been The Roses ; Let It Grow. West LA had been debuted the previous night at Veneta, and is quite a bit peppier and less structured than it would be a year later, as we'll hear in our next selection.

Which brings us to 8/31/83 at the Hult Center in Eugene, OR. From the final night of a three night run of shows at the Hult, we have some first set material divided into two parts, the first featuring West LA Fadeaway, Hell In A Bucket and the second featuring Cassidy, Don't Ease Me In. This is one of my favourite West LA Fadeaways, long and extremely well played. These early versions of Hell In A Bucket are quite a bit different than the later 80s versions, but they rock nonetheless.

Stop by next week for more tunes here at the Tapers' Section. And feel free to email any questions, comments or suggestions to the email address below.

David Lemieux

May have been '84 but I believe the first night of the '83 Eugene shows has Garcia messing up and doing the "headlight" verse to "Rider" twice with a really nice jam in between....Nice screw up, though.

Also, wasn't the "official" taper's section (with tickets and all) kicked off in Eugene in '83? Don't know why that's ringing a bell even though that bell may be unsound.

According to the Taper book: "Dan Healy officially opened a legitimate tapers' section on 10.27.84 at the Berkeley Community Theatre in Berkeley, CA."

It's hard to believe, but 20 years ago today: 3/29/90 Nassau

One of the great nights in GD history, CERTAINLY one of the best of the last 5 years. I remember well when I first got these tapes - set 2 with Branford Marsalis was SO mind-blowing. I'll be pulling these tapes out tonight when I get home.

Any VCers at this show?

It's hard to believe, but 20 years ago today: 3/29/90 Nassau

One of the great nights in GD history, CERTAINLY one of the best of the last 5 years. I remember well when I first got these tapes - set 2 with Branford Marsalis was SO mind-blowing. I'll be pulling these tapes out tonight when I get home.

Any VCers at this show?

The Birdsong from 1st set is real sweet, too. Except work by Marsalis, here. He and the GD melded very well. The NYE show from this same year features some excellent work by him, as well. He sits in for a few on the first set and the whole second set, as well (NFA->Eyes->DS....and a killer Wharf Rat post-drums, to name a few highlights). I have a tape of the show that has his opening set, too, that is really, really nice.

The Birdsong from 1st set is real sweet, too. Except work by Marsalis, here. He and the GD melded very well. The NYE show from this same year features some excellent work by him, as well. He sits in for a few on the first set and the whole second set, as well (NFA->Eyes->DS....and a killer Wharf Rat post-drums, to name a few highlights). I have a tape of the show that has his opening set, too, that is really, really nice.

Huge fan of 3/29/90. Been on GD/Branford kick in the last week listening to 3/29/90, 12/31/90 and 9/10/91 at MSG and I have to say that I think 9/10/91 is the best of them all. First, it has Branford for the whole show for the first time and a Standing on the Moon that just blows me away, Branford adds so much to that song. There's a real nice GEMS Amdig matrix on etree ID 98132.

Set I

Shakedown

C.C. Rider>

It takes a lot to laugh, train to cry

Black Throated Wind

High Time

Cassidy

Deal

Set II

Help/Slip/Frank

Estimated>

Dark Star>