• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I clicked on the pre-order button just for kicks, and their website had crashed. I guess people must be going for it. If I want it, I will probably get it like I did the Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings boxset.

I clicked on the pre-order button just for kicks, and their website had crashed. I guess people must be going for it. If I want it, I will probably get it like I did the Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings boxset.

Yeah, keeps crashing on me too. When you figure its 22 shows its $20.45 per show and if each show is 3 discs its $6.82 per disc, actually quite reasonable considering it’s off the 16 track masters and the packaging seems like it's pretty elaborate. Seems like this is the type of project where it's really worth buying it as opposed to a torrent.

It's worth it, but there is no way I could justify spending that sort of bread on music these days.

I hear you, it's a splurge but I rationalize it since I've torrented so much for free in the last year.

It does seem kind of crazy that they would limit the audience for this thing to 7,200 people considering the historic significance of the tour, to just say you 7,200 with the $$$ can have it and force people to pirate it for others (which will happen) seems a little anti-dead. They really should have ala carte shows available for download.

i'd also like to see some live albums done the old way, with edits and mastering etc. i know that's not a popular view, but i really like without a net, jerry band live. it would be cool to get a double disc of nuggets from the latter years or something. there was at least 1 or 2 gems at each show, even when garcia was basically not there.

That release could have more to do with Rhino, than The Grateful Dead. I read somewhere once that is one of the ways record companies are keeping the cd alive - by way of box sets and special releases that hardcore fans are going to buy. I think in the information for the Europe release, they said they were not even going to go ahead with the pressing unless a certain number were pre-ordered. It's almost like a Rhino Handmade release.

I already own somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 hundred dollars worth of GD boxsets.

I am happy these days just to go to Archive.org and listen to the shows.

They just sent out this message:

WOW. The servers cannot take your enthusiasm (we, on the other hand, appreciate it immensely.) The dead.net team is toiling on the back end to accommodate the massive traffic and to ensure that the purchase of the Europe '72 box is a breeze. In the meantime, you can click through to the landing page to leave your email addy. We will notify you the moment we begin taking orders again.

And people are bitching at them because they are putting it out on cd. That's funny. If someone is willing to pay hundreds of dollars for Mp3 files, then the end times must be near.

• 3 weeks later...

oh wow, it is hard for me to not purchase the complete Europe '72 set. it will put me back QUITE a lot but it seems worth it, especially since those '72 shows are some of my favs. then again, most of those setlists did not vary much during that tour. perhaps I'll wait for a proper mp3 rip. heck, I'd pay $50 to buy these shows on mp3. in all honesty, it would be hard for me to justify spending that much on music (but the temptation is there!)

oh wow, it is hard for me to not purchase the complete Europe '72 set. it will put me back QUITE a lot but it seems worth it, especially since those '72 shows are some of my favs. then again, most of those setlists did not vary much during that tour. perhaps I'll wait for a proper mp3 rip. heck, I'd pay $50 to buy these shows on mp3. in all honesty, it would be hard for me to justify spending that much on music (but the temptation is there!)

The 7,200 boxes sold out @ $450 per. They are selling all of the shows w/o the steamer trunk and all the goodies for the same price, $450. Hopefully they'll eventually sell these shows for individual download but who knows.

I was on the fence about buying it. I was able to reserve one and got a confirmation to purchase a "personalized" set. They gave me 2 weeks to decide and on the 13th day, I ordered it. It's definitely a lot of dough, though - I figured I would be kicking myself once they release it in September, if I didn't get it. Hopefully Rhino/Dead.net does a great job on the set. Of course, if they do a poor job on this set, they will be shooting themselves in the foot with regards to future "tour" releases. (I had them put my kid's initials on it.)

I was on the fence about buying it. I was able to reserve one and got a confirmation to purchase a "personalized" set. They gave me 2 weeks to decide and on the 13th day, I ordered it. It's definitely a lot of dough, though - I figured I would be kicking myself once they release it in September, if I didn't get it. Hopefully Rhino/Dead.net does a great job on the set. Of course, if they do a poor job on this set, they will be shooting themselves in the foot with regards to future "tour" releases. (I had them put my kid's initials on it.)

awesome! congrats on ordering it. at the time of my previous post, I was not aware that the set had sold out. this is going to be a nice collector's item and I will venture to even call it an investment piece. look at how much that Winterland '69 set goes for on ebay. imagine how much the Europe '72 set will be worth! and that's cool to hear that your kid's initials will be on it. will be a cool gift to pass down to them at some point.

the limited edition nature of this new release irks me. There are already several listings on Ebay for more than 900 dollars each. I dont know why the dead feel like they should be helping ebay scalpers make money. I guess the lesson for next time is just buy two when the set is announced, and sell one for double the price.

Hopefully that next set is a box of 12/31 shows.

Further show was amazing last night, now I wish I had tickets for the next 2 nights.

I: Jam > Jack Straw, Me and My Uncle, Loser, Big River, It Must Have Been the Roses, Deal, Black-Throated Wind, Brown-Eyed Women II: Weather Report Suite Prelude/Part 1 > Let It Grow, The Mountain Song > I Know You Rider > Dark Star > China Doll, Playin in the Band > Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower

Encore: Liberty (Dedicated to Egypt)

Further show was amazing last night, now I wish I had tickets for the next 2 nights.

I: Jam > Jack Straw, Me and My Uncle, Loser, Big River, It Must Have Been the Roses, Deal, Black-Throated Wind, Brown-Eyed Women II: Weather Report Suite Prelude/Part 1 > Let It Grow, The Mountain Song > I Know You Rider > Dark Star > China Doll, Playin in the Band > Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower

Encore: Liberty (Dedicated to Egypt)

why was it so good? just curious. i find them severely under-rehearsed.

why was it so good? just curious. i find them severely under-rehearsed.

I'm pretty much a Grateful Dead newbie so I wouldn't really be able to compare it well to great shows from the past or anything. To my ears they sounded amazing, vocals seemed spot on, I thought the musicianship seemed really tight. Plus they played some of my fave stuff like Loser and Brown eyed woman. The Help-->slipknot--> Franklin's tower was pretty mesmerizing. You could see them taking chances, signaling each other, they seemed to be into it and enjoying it. I don't know, are people complaining about Further shows?

I don't know, are people complaining about Further shows?

:lol It's a Grateful Dead thing, of course people are complaining (this is not directed at Vacant Horizon).

I haven't seen them, but I heard bit's and pieces of shows, they sounded okay; don't think I would spend money on seeing them.

Actually reviews have been more favorable than not on most on the boards.