• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate to catch these as I was living in VA at the time (they only sold tix in VA) and the shows were snuck in for that tour. Probably the best 2 nights of GD experience I've ever had. I've got sbds of the shows already (they are widely accessible) and wonder how much better the masters actually sound. I'll likely refrain from a purchase on them but it's nice to see these two shows get mass-released on high quality, nonetheless.

I never referred to them as a cover band. And you are right about the JGB without Jerry-it is weird.

Seeing JK sing mountain dew at a festie was just weird-Hard to explain, but Furthur just gets less interesting each time-like I said, I always have a fun seeing bobby and phil, but musically, it just doesnt grab me-it feels hollow. Seeing Melvin and Stu in a bar is more musically satisfying if that makes any sense.

And for the record, I enjoyed the dead tour in 09-even though I am not a warren fan.

That good ol' Mountain Dew! I know you meant Morning Dew....I hear you on preference of seeing a band in a bar over a large venue. I'll be catching JGB in the bar over YMSB and LoS at Red Rocks. The Furthur shows are brutally expensive, too. Still, I like what they're doing and will catch 'em again next month.

ed. It was Vacant Horizon referring to them as a cover band. My apologies.

That good ol' Mountain Dew! I know you meant Morning Dew....I hear you on preference of seeing a band in a bar over a large venue. I'll be catching JGB in the bar over YMSB and LoS at Red Rocks. The Furthur shows are brutally expensive, too. Still, I like what they're doing and will catch 'em again next month.

ed. It was Vacant Horizon referring to them as a cover band. My apologies.

D'OH :stunned

now thats a brain fart if there ever was one!

Something I found on Jambands.com:

Bob Weir Shares New Tune via Facebook

"Hi, all you homies out there…” Bob Weir greeted viewers to a new video on his Facebook page. After posting, “video sneak peek of a new tune im working on, coming your way in a few minutes…” he followed up about an hour later with a look and listen. Weir introduced the song as “Big Bad Blues,” which he performed on a couch with an acoustic guitar. He offered a few verses and a chorus of the song, with more pledged to follow.

Road Trips Vol. 3 No. 4

Taper's Section (August 30 - September 5, 2010)

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section, as we roll into September with what looks like a good month of music coming up.

We'll make our first musical stop this week on 5/20/73 at UCSB in Santa Barbara, with music from the second and third sets, consisting of Promised Land, Brown-Eyed Women, Mexicali Blues, Row Jimmy, Jack Straw, Big RR Blues, Greatest Story Ever Told, Here Comes Sunshine, Big River, Loser, El Paso, Casey Jones; Truckin'. The tape here cuts, so we fade out at the end of Truckin'. This show was he second of three big weekend shows in May, 1973, with 5/13 in Des Moines, and 5/26 at Kezar, all three of which were very strong, long shows.

From four years later, on 5/18/77 at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, we have Minglewood Blues, It Must have Been The Roses, Lazy Lightning>Supplication, High Time, The Music Never Stopped from the first set. This was the first of two nights at the Fox, the second of which is part of Dick's Picks 29 and is a magnificent show. But, as you'll hear, 5/18 had some great music as well.

Finally this week we have the end of the second set from 5/23/82 at the Greek, consisting of Other One>Stella>Miracle>Casey Jones. You may recall we played the start of the second set and encore last week, so we figured we'd fill things out a bit more this week.

Thanks for joining us this week, and we'll look forward to your visit next week. Feel free to write to me at the email address below with questions or comments about the Tapers' Section or anything about the Grateful Dead.

David Lemieux

• 2 weeks later...

Taper's Section (September 13 - September 19, 2010)

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we'll hear some tunes from 1972, 1986 and 1989.

Our first selection this week is from 4/16/72 at Aarhus University in Denmark, when the Grateful Dead performed their 5th show of the European tour in a small, wood-beamed university cafeteria. I've seen photos of the venue, and it's wonderful to think of the Dead playing in THAT place. From the second set, we have the big jam consisting of Truckin>Jam>Me and Uncle>Other One>NFA >GDRTFB>NFA, with a cut in the master reel during that final sequence. Of all of the great music played on the Europe '72 tour, I've always really liked this Truckin', particularly the jam before they return to the final verse.

Next up is an entire second set from 4/19/86 at Berkeley Community Theatre, featuring Crazy Fingers>Playing In The Band>Drums>Space>The Other One>China Doll>Playing In The Band>Sugar Magnolia; The Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo). We don't often play entire second sets (but we do play a lot of entire first sets…) so we're very happy to bring you this chunk o' Dead. Quinn was still pretty new in the setlists, having debuted on 12/30/85 in Oakland.

Lastly this week have music from the Irvine run in April, 1989, from 4/29/89 specifically, featuring the end of the second set made up of I Will Take You Home > The Other One > Wharf Rat > Throwing Stones > Turn On Your Lovelight. That was a great run of shows, and we hope to feature more of it here at the Tapers' Section in the future.

Thanks for stopping by, and as always, we look forward to seeing you next week. Feel free to email the address below with any questions or comments about the Tapers' Section. And allow me to take this opportunity to say that your questions and comments are greatly appreciated, as they're all very interesting, and always very respectful. We try to get back to everyone in a timely manner, so don't be shy.

David Lemieux

Studio Dead is largely ignored, but "Shakedown Street" is a really good single.

indeed, i like that Lowell George had his pawprints on that entire LP, really lent a slickness to it... "From The Heart Of Me" sounds real sweet too, with Donna singing in key (or pitch modulated?) ; )

i don't mind hearing something like Workingman's Dead once in a blue moon, it's a brilliant LP but they'll always be known for their live work; and hey, who am i kidding?

i live at the archive.org site.

I really like the garcia studio records

I received the all good things box set as a present-lots of gems in there

Dead studio? I still listen to "skeletons in the closet" (best of), terrapin and mars hotel once in awhile

I really like the studio version of Fire on the Mountain. It has sort of an "icy" quality to it which could never be recaptured live. In fact, as many great Scarlet > Fire combos as there are out there, I've never really heard a great vocal performance on a live Fire.

my first show

4/18/82

earthquake space

I was like WTF was that :omg

not sure exactly when drums/space became a nightly staple but during the aforementioned 8/6/82 St. Paul show they did so much jamming out of Saint of Circumstance that they just sorta shredded through drums (partial lineup) into space... pretty wild 2nd set.

my first show

4/18/82

earthquake space

I was like WTF was that :omg

I was at this one too. Wild stuff.

That '82 St. Paul; I was listening to it last week. Very solid show. Iirc Bobby makes an announcement paging some dude in the audience.

The '81 St. Paul is fantastic, as well. In particular the UJB-> Playin->China Doll->UJB->Playin out of Space.

Supreme.

I was at this one too. Wild stuff.

That '82 St. Paul; I was listening to it last week. Very solid show. Iirc Bobby makes an announcement paging some dude in the audience.

The '81 St. Paul is fantastic, as well. In particular the UJB-> Playin->China Doll->UJB->Playin out of Space.

Supreme.

i'm gonna check out that '81 on the archive right now, hadn't heard it yet...

(*edit* looks like Charlie Miller remasters AUD tapes too??)

1981-07-10 St. Paul, MN

yeah, there's some dude on the '82 tape getting paged urgently, doesn't sound like good news -- then they launch into Lost Sailor.