• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I have ever heard that song. I am not really that familiar with the songs after the Blues for Allah album.

Although, I actually own Built to Last (on cassette). Someone gave it to me for Christmas the year it came out. I am not sure I ever listened to the album though.

The Taper's book gave it a very favorable review, also. All, except Drums, were considered highlights.

Does Archive.org only pull soundboard copies of those shows that are or will be commercially available? I don't think a soundboard of this show has ever surfaced.

(edit: I did see a soundboard on archive.)

I could not agree more about playing whatever you want, even if it isn't what would be generally considered to be 'in the flow' or whatever. Some of the guys in the band were complaining about what Phil called the "ossification" of the setlists early in the second half of the Dead's career. The reason I got hooked in the first place was because I live for the unexpected, and many of the shows I saw that I would consider awesome were the ones where something unusual happened with the setlists, or the segues.

Me too. The best Dead show I ever saw was in Ohio (1994, I think) when Weir left the stage ten minutes before the end of the first set and the rest of the guys played a great improv without him.

Me too. The best Dead show I ever saw was in Ohio (1994, I think) when Weir left the stage ten minutes before the end of the first set and the rest of the guys played a great improv without him.

Why'd he leave the stage? Must've been equiptment trouble? Never heard of him laeaving the stage 10 min. before the end of the set....

I don't think I have ever heard that song. I am not really that familiar with the songs after the Blues for Allah album.

Although, I actually own Built to Last (on cassette). Someone gave it to me for Christmas the year it came out. I am not sure I ever listened to the album though.

I listened to two versions on the way to work today! I've always been a big Brent fan and "Blow Away" was one of my favorites. There's a really nice version on Dozin' at the Knick. A great one from Cincinnati '88, too. I always got the vibe that Weir wasn't that into it (or most of Brent's tunes, for that matter), but the drummers and Garcia almost always wailed on it, as did Brent, of course. the ending always left room for some vocal improv, too. Great tune, imo.

Why'd he leave the stage? Must've been equiptment trouble? Never heard of him laeaving the stage 10 min. before the end of the set....

I have no idea why he left the stage. I didn't pick up on any technical difficulties, or any other clues. Maybe he wasn't feeling well.

I listened to two versions on the way to work today! I've always been a big Brent fan and "Blow Away" was one of my favorites. There's a really nice version on Dozin' at the Knick. A great one from Cincinnati '88, too. I always got the vibe that Weir wasn't that into it (or most of Brent's tunes, for that matter), but the drummers and Garcia almost always wailed on it, as did Brent, of course. the ending always left room for some vocal improv, too. Great tune, imo.

I think I actually had that cd at some point. I don't really own any studio stuff outside of the The Golden Road (1965-1973)boxset. Although, I think I have Wake of the Flood through Built To Last on cassette. I have not played those in years, as I don't own a cassette player.

I have no idea why he left the stage. I didn't pick up on any technical difficulties, or any other clues. Maybe he wasn't feeling well.

Yeah, not to end the set, though.... it was Richfield, Oh, though.

Bobby left stage after He's Gone right before drums ue to equiptnent issues, apparently....

http://www.dead.net/show/march-21-1994

1994 was, overall, a pretty crappy year for GD music, imo.

Bobby left stage after He's Gone right before drums ue to equiptnent issues, apparently....

After reading that Dead Gear book, I am sometimes surprised they were actually able to play shows.

I remember how I got those cassettes now. I had a neighbor who was into being a hippie when it was in the thing to do (1990 something). When she got done with that, she gave me those cassettes.

I don't think it's just your opinion, Lammy. I would say it's a fact - '94 sucked it pretty hard, although when they came to the Creek they played really well. The 7/20/94 show is as good as anything they did all year.

That run, and the Fall run (MSG, especially) are the only things that stand out to me.

Cool, thanks for the link. I guess I remembered it as the end of a set because everyone leaving the stage except for Micky and Bill is sort of like the end of a set, in a way. Also, it was at a Dead show (15+ years ago) so I reserve the right not to remember exact specifics. :lol

Commenters on that link seem to think weir was angry. I didn't pick up on that, but my focus was usually on Jerry, Phil or Micky.

That was a great show for me. I was with a bandmate and at the time we covered Bertha and it was the only time I ever saw them play that tune. We drove up from Atlanta with no tickets and we both managed to get in both nights by trading some extra Atlanta tickets we brought with us.

It looks like they are going to release another Road Trip set, too.

from Gans' site:

David Gans celebrates his 25th anniversary in broadcasting with the annual 16-hour KPFA Grateful Dead fund-raising marathon Saturday, February 20, 9 am to 1 am Pacific time.

Broadcast live in northern California and webcast globally via nugs.net, gdradio.net, and kpfa.org, this year’s event will include visits from Peter Rowan and David Nelson. David will also offer sneak previews of two new Grateful Dead releases: Road Trips vol. 3 no. 2, a concert from 1971, and Crimson, White, and Indigo, a video and audio package featuring the complete Grateful Dead concert of July 7, 1989. The rest of the day will be filled with several complete unreleased Grateful Dead concerts and rarities from David’s quarter-century of exploring the wide musical world of the Grateful Dead.

It looks like they are going to release another Road Trip set, too.

from Gans' site:

Yeah, it's posted but you can't order yet:

Road Trips Vol 3. No 2

$19.98

Recorded live at Municipal Auditorium Austin, TX (November 15, 1971)

All selections are previously unissued recordings

DISC 1

1. Truckin'

2. Bertha

3. Playing In The Band

4. Deal

5. Jack Straw

6. Loser

7. Beat It On Down The Line

8. Dark Star>

9. El Paso>

10. Dark Star

11. Casey Jones

12. One More Saturday Night

DISC 2

1. Me And My Uncle

2. Ramble On Rose

3. Mexicali Blues

4. Brokedown Palace

5. Me And Bobby McGee

6. Cumberland Blues

7. Sugar Magnolia

8. You Win Again

9. Not Fade Away>

10. Jam>

11. Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>

12. Not Fade Away

13. Johnny B. Goode

FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY get the Road Trips Vol. 3 No. 2 bonus disc with your order. This offer is first come, first serve.

The Road Trips Vol. 3 No 2. bonus disc was recorded live at Texas Christian University in Forth Worth, Texas (11/14/71).

1. China Cat Sunflower>

2. I Know You Rider

3. Sugaree

4. Truckin'>

5. Drums>

6. The Other One>

7. Me And My Uncle>

8. The Other One>

9. Wharf Rat>

10. Sugar Magnolia

RT 3.2

I would like to see them, but I could not deal with the crowd.

Is AllGood a big festival? You're breaking my heart here, man! :D

I guess I should try to get in on Gans' show tomorrow. That sounds like fun - AND he's gonna have Nelson! :worship

Is AllGood a big festival? You're breaking my heart here, man! :D

I guess I should try to get in on Gans' show tomorrow. That sounds like fun - AND he's gonna have Nelson! :worship

Yes - Ratdog was there last summer.

Or was it Phil Lesh, I can't recall.

I have the opportunity to see Further tonight and I'm feeling very lukewarm about it. Not a good sign. Should I go? Lots of good friends are going, but after seeing the Dead in April, I don't know. It just wasn't that good.

I only heard two shows: last week's Cornell show and a show from 12.13.09. The Cornell show did not sound too hot while the 12.13 show sounded great. Have you listened to any of the shows (Here is the Archive link that Lammycat provided earlier.)

I guess I would go, at least you should have fun your friends, right? :cheers