I'm not panning the band, mind you, but have yet to be floored by anything I've heard. Without the drummers (no disrespedt to joe russo, either) I'd just as soon catch a Phil & Friends show, preferably in the original quintet formation with Warren/Herring. I look forward to the shows and I'm sure it'll be a fun night of tunes I love to hear.

Word. :cheers I haven't seen this latest band (yet), and the '98 band was pretty awesome, but Phil's band in '00 -'01 was the fucking mother of all jambands. I saw a number of shows with that band and it was as good as anything I've ever seen. Just my .02, of course.

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very odd and too many gives weight to the jill being a control freak rumors. I can see how there has been all these inner group problems with that kind of dynamic.

Nothing against you AT ALL jc4, but that thought just makes me kinda sad.

I'm not panning the band, mind you, but have yet to be floored by anything I've heard. Without the drummers (no disrespedt to joe russo, either) I'd just as soon catch a Phil & Friends show, preferably in the original quintet formation with Warren/Herring. I look forward to the shows and I'm sure it'll be a fun night of tunes I love to hear.

Last night in Chicago:

I: Playin in the Band > Born Cross-Eyed > Eyes of the World > Jack Straw > Wharf Rat > Uncle John's Band > China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider

II: Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain, New Potato Caboose > St. Stephen > The Eleven > The Other One > So Many Roads, Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower

E: Box of Rain > Johnny B. Goode

Wow.

Last night in Chicago:

I: Playin in the Band > Born Cross-Eyed > Eyes of the World > Jack Straw > Wharf Rat > Uncle John's Band > China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider

II: Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain, New Potato Caboose > St. Stephen > The Eleven > The Other One > So Many Roads, Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower

E: Box of Rain > Johnny B. Goode

Wow.

Great job jill lol

Nothing against you AT ALL jc4, but that thought just makes me kinda sad.

yeah I mean I'm really not trying to be negative. It just seems evident but it really is nobody's business except theirs. I hear there was some kind of blow out on the phil zone where phil and jill were posting the other day I don't know what happened though.

yeah I mean I'm really not trying to be negative. It just seems evident but it really is nobody's business except theirs. I hear there was some kind of blow out on the phil zone where phil and jill were posting the other day I don't know what happened though.

Well that place is bit of a train wreck---apologies to anyone who's posts over there---trying to read through the posts to find a decent review is always challenge.

This show is on the radio now. First time listening to it. Garcia playing is especially great during this show. Over at bt.etree a guy as started to put up all the 73 shows. He's only up to April, looking forward to May.

This show is on the radio now. First time listening to it. Garcia playing is especially great during this show. Over at bt.etree a guy as started to put up all the 73 shows. He's only up to April, looking forward to May.

Sometimes, I don't get that exactly. There were year by year projects, and then someone putting up the shows again, show by show.

I saw Further at the Auditorium again last night. I am still getting chills thinking about this show. This may sound like I'm aggrandizing a little bit, but this is the finest post-Dead show I've seen. I've seen Dark Star like 20 times, pretty much all the Phil and Friends lineups, Ratdog, The Dead a bunch, The Other Ones, all of them. Last night, though, was the finest of them all.

The first set was remarkable. Eyes, Jack Straw, Wharf Rat, UJB, China Cat Rider. All in a row, all in the first set, and all played superbly. Wharf Rat had to be the highlight for me - John just gets to the core of this song, and it is beautiful. Jeff Chimenti also tore it up on the keys during Eyes. Generally speaking, the sound was light years better last night than it was Tuesday. Russo's highs were turned up on the drums, and what a difference that made. He was holding it down all night, especially in the second set, where he saved more than a couple transitions from sloppiness. Same goes for Phil. His volume was perfect, he was listening at all times, and you could tell how much fun he was having.

They announced that they meant business with that monster first set, so Scarlet Fire was an appropriate second set opener, and they nailed it. New Potato Caboose was alright, and that was followed by the highlight of the night, St Stephen -> Eleven. St Stephen was high energy during the form of the song, followed by a tight, multi-layered jam that Russo and Phil dropped smoothly into the Eleven. The Other One kept things heavy and tight, and John sang So Many Roads gorgeously. Help Slipknot Franklins was great, I would have preferred John sing both of them, but Bob and Phil were fine, respectively. Box of Rain and Johnny B Goode were both well done and ended the night nicely.

If Further comes back this summer, it is a must.

Sometimes, I don't get that exactly. There were year by year projects, and then someone putting up the shows again, show by show.

I like the show by show releases. The projects seem to take for ever to down load (my connection isn't the best). Plus I like picking and choosing what shows I want to download.

I like the show by show releases. The projects seem to take for ever to down load (my connection isn't the best). Plus I like picking and choosing what shows I want to download.

hey, when you download the projects you can actually pick and choose what shows/tracks you want - if you have azureus at least, don't know about other software

and all the projects currently have 400 - 500 seeders, so they're pretty fast!

hey, when you download the projects you can actually pick and choose what shows/tracks you want - if you have azureus at least, don't know about other software

and all the projects currently have 400 - 500 seeders, so they're pretty fast!

I didn't know that, I need to look into that. Thanks.

edit:Okay, now I feel like an idiot; I see now how you can click on only the shows you want using uTorrent, pretty easy. Thanks again.

I only have a few Dead shows (non-commercially released shows I mean). If I want to hear a show, I generally just go to Archive.org and pick a show. I don't usually listen to music unless I am in front of the computer, so that works for me.

I did grab the show with Duane Allman a while back. I prefer to listen to whole shows, instead of just tracks.

Grateful Dead:

02/27/69-03/02/1969

04/26/1971

05/27/1971

04/16/1978

05/10/1983

Phil Lesh and Friends:

04/21/2001

Jerry Garcia:

06/04/1975

Weir & the Dead's Business Model

CNBC'S resident Deadhead and sr. economics reporter Steve Liesman sits down with the Grateful Dead's Bob Weir to discuss how the Grateful Dead have become an example of the way to run a good business.

The Weir-Liesman Jam Session

CNBC'S resident Deadhead and sr. economics reporter Steve Liesman plays a mean guitar and gets the unique opportunity to jam with the Grateful Dead's Bob Weir.

Grateful Dead Archive makes its public debut in New York

I would be very surprised if they put the audio/video material online, or even allow it to be used by researchers.

The Archive contains a staggering amount of material from the Dead’s fabled 30-year career as the world’s most prominent psychedelic band, including audio and videotapes of performances and interviews, press clippings of Dead concerts, ticket stubs, posters, band memorabilia and, said Lieberman, “almost literally every piece of paper that passed through the band’s office.” The Archive is said to even contain fan letters and requests for tickets, many of which were decorated with elaborate art work.

I have to say that one of reasons I am ordering the new Road Trips cd, is due to the sound of Jerry's guitar. As the kids say, it is awesome.

I saw Further at the Auditorium again last night. I am still getting chills thinking about this show. This may sound like I'm aggrandizing a little bit, but this is the finest post-Dead show I've seen.

After catching the two Broomfield, CO shows this weekend I'll back you on this. The shows exceeded my expectations by far. Amazing selection of tunes, flawless playing, intimate atmosphere, high spirits on stage and in crowd, and the played the hell out of the tunes. John isn't a fake Jerry, he's John. He knows the music and does it justice in his own way. He seems more comfortable in the band then he did in September. Joe Russo is an amazing drummer, too. The chicks added a lot to the mix, as well. Here's hoping for a few more shows around here this summer. Amazing.

After catching the two Broomfield, CO shows this weekend I'll back you on this. The shows exceeded my expectations by far. Amazing selection of tunes, flawless playing, intimate atmosphere, high spirits on stage and in crowd, and the played the hell out of the tunes. John isn't a fake Jerry, he's John. He knows the music and does it justice in his own way. He seems more comfortable in the band then he did in September. Joe Russo is an amazing drummer, too. The chicks added a lot to the mix, as well. Here's hoping for a few more shows around here this summer. Amazing.

Glad you liked it.

Taper's Section (March 8 - March 14, 2010)

Like last week, this week we're going to check in on a few previously released commercial recordings, for no other reason than that they are exceptional bits of music.

Our first selection this week is from the Fillmore East in New York City on 4/27/71, a bit from the excellent 4-CD set Ladies and Gentlemen…the Grateful Dead. From that album we're very pleased to include this terrific Lovelight, in which Pigpen introduces a young couple in his inimitable way. This is such an inspired version of Lovelight, and you can just picture Pigpen looking down over the lip of the stage and holding this intimate conversation with Chris and Marcia, while 2,000 people cheer him, and them, on. Bobby and Jerry get into some excellent guitar dueling around the seven minute mark of the song.

Next, from a little over a year later in London, England on 5/24/72, we have one of the few versions ever played of Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu, with Jerry playing some particularly raunchy stuff during the instrumental breaks. This was included as part of the Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead 4-CD set, a release filled with great music, and lots of it.

From the Grateful Dead Movie, both the DVD (bonus track) and the 5-CD soundtrack release, we have this great version of Uncle John's Band from the penultimate show of the run on 10/19/74. This version of Uncle John's Band was originally slated to open the Grateful Dead Movie, but then Jerry got the great idea of opening the movie with a cartoon, like movies used to open, and Uncle John's ended up on the cutting room floor. Thankfully the DVD release had loads of room on the Bonus Disc, as well as on the CD soundtrack, so 30 years later it was finally released. Jerry gets into a very smooth groove during his solo, and the film footage captures Jerry in the zone as he plays.

About three years later, the Grateful Dead found themselves in (Jeffrey) Norman, Oklahoma, on 10/11/77, and some of that show was included as hidden tracks on the massive 6-CD boxed set that was Dick's Picks Vol. 29. To this day, we still get mail from fans who have had DP 29 for years, but only recently found these hidden tracks. This Not Fade Away gets about as crazy as this song ever did during this era. Dick Latvala referred to this version, and this show, as one of the latest examples of Primal Dead. This show was one of the first shows put forth by Dick for consideration as a Dick's Picks.

Lastly this week, from Egypt on 9/16/78, we have this funky Shakedown Street. It isn't as crazy and intense as the song would become in later years, but it has wonderfully concise beat held down by the bass and drums. And it also gets way out there toward the end.

Check back here next week for more great Grateful Dead music, when we'll again return to the land of the unreleased Dead. As always, we encourage you to write with any questions or comments about the Tapers' Section to the e-mail address below. Please be sure to make your subject simply “Grateful Dead” so that it will squeeze through our state-of-the-art filters.

David Lemieux

pigjanis.jpg

The King and Queen of San Francisco Blues. RIP Pig (9/8/45 - 3/8/73)

Oh man, I had a feeling it was going to be good. I had a friend taunting me with texts from the show, rubbing it in. Stuff like "Doing Pink Floyds Time now"!

I received the Road Trips I ordered today. I have to say that it arrived pretty fast. I see they are using the same sort of CD case that Pearl Jam used when they were putting out their live shows in a physical format.

Jerry's tone is just so wicked.

Haven't got mine yet, but I just ordered about a week ago. I'm hoping by this time next week.

I'm NOT a fan of the packaging - sometimes it's a real bitch trying to get the discs out. I'd much rather have plastic cases myself.

Anyway, it'll be nice to get something I've never heard before. It always amazes me how quickly Keith fit in with the band - it's like he'd always been there.

I did find it a bit odd that Mr. Jackson spent so time in that essay talking about how Texas was not friendly to hippies. I would have most of that out. But, at least they put a little booklet in there. I am going to get the other 1971 release.

I did find it a bit odd that Mr. Jackson spent so time in that essay talking about how Texas was not friendly to hippies.

Went to Houston and Dallas GD shows in '88 and remember walking on eggshells a lot of the time.....

Don't people put a lot of the DP/RT/Vault official releases up on bt sites? I realize it's illegal, but it sems I've gotten almost all the official release stuff from people who got it that way.....

Went to Houston and Dallas GD shows in '88 and remember walking on eggshells a lot of the time.....

Don't people put a lot of the DP/RT/Vault official releases up on bt sites? I realize it's illegal, but it sems I've gotten almost all the official release stuff from people who got it that way.....

I think everything in the world is out there to be had. I don't mess with such things.

You don't have to tell me, I've had long hair since I was a kid (except during my military days).

(Also, I don't want to hear some shitty Mp3 rip, I want the real deal.)