Help Me See the Appeal of Spiders

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Runaway Jim

It's a cool song. I first heard it on AGIB. Liked it instantly. I've grown to like the early version a little better, and the solo acoustic version even better.

I have to second MB's comment - Spiders is a must hear live for me. It's nowhere near my favorite Wilco song, but it's rad as fuck live. Just pure fucking energy.

The only version I like is the early early version. Pittsburg 2002 is a good example. Haven't liked the song in an other incarnation really since. I would use Spiders for a bathroom break at a Wilco show even if I did not have to go..

:rolleyes

Guest Speed Racer

I love the early versions - band and solo - for the melody and pure beauty. An absolutely gorgeous song.

I love the studio version because I just find it really interesting - I love the pulsing beat, the keyboard parts and the stringy, spidery lead guitar, but also the little things: John's quiet harmonies and a few instrumental moments that just make the track, to me. I love Jeff's voice on the track. And no matter how crazy it gets, it always comes back to the middle.

I don't like the 6-piece live versions. I think the AGIB version is a bit more minimalist than the live versions, even if 6 people did play on the studio track (and I think 6 did? including Jim and someone else?). There's more space between the solos on the studio track, and the new live version just seems very cluttered and unecessarily long.

Also worth noting that I have to play Spiders everytime I pick up my acoustic guitar.

Me too! There's just something completely addictive and fulfilling, as a musician, playing the solo version of this. Great chords, fingerpicking and melody. A brilliant composition for solo acoustic guitar.

i tried using the search, but couldn't find anything, maybe A-man can help out...legend has it there was a thread that went on and on about this very topic, that the thread caused quite the bruhahah on the board and set the standard for comparison of a lot of threads to follow and has come up in conversation quite often. i can't seem to find it though.

amateur breakdown that sea to phone it in with barchords

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but if it's an indictment of barre chords, I suggest you give it another listen, as Jeff's not playing them. (or

)

anyone want to graciously post an mp3 of the 2002 pittsburgh version of spiders, or any other version similar to that?

Thanks!

You can get the FLAC files at the Wilco Archive. If you go to Wilcobase and do a search on the song, you may find that there are other shows at the Wilco Archive that contain the song as well.

I love the early versions - band and solo - for the melody and pure beauty. An absolutely gorgeous song.

I love the studio version because I just find it really interesting - I love the pulsing beat, the keyboard parts and the stringy, spidery lead guitar, but also the little things: John's quiet harmonies and a few instrumental moments that just make the track, to me. I love Jeff's voice on the track. And no matter how crazy it gets, it always comes back to the middle.

I don't like the 6-piece live versions. I think the AGIB version is a bit more minimalist than the live versions, even if 6 people did play on the studio track (and I think 6 did? including Jim and someone else?). There's more space between the solos on the studio track, and the new live version just seems very cluttered and unecessarily long.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel.

i tried using the search, but couldn't find anything, maybe A-man can help out...legend has it there was a thread that went on and on about this very topic, that the thread caused quite the bruhahah on the board and set the standard for comparison of a lot of threads to follow and has come up in conversation quite often. i can't seem to find it though.

This was the longest one I remember. Deliver Us From Spiders

--Mike

That last veres is the coolest verse ever written. If you have the concert program, there's an interview with Jeff by his sons. They ask what his favorite song to play live is -- Spiders because, "I get to freak out on the guitar for like 10 minutes ... because freaking out on the guiter for 10 minutes is really good for your soul."

And that's why I love Spiders -- a mindless explosion of words and music that is a complete release -- which is realy good for my soul, man.

"I just do as I am told...."

I've always thought the live Spiders is one of the best things they do live. It's just about the only nod to jamming Wilco does. Always reminded me of Phish's "First Tube".

When the apocalyptic noise from the end of Poor Places is filling the room, and the stage is covered with dry ice smoke....and then Spiders just sneaks in. That's Wilco at their best in concert (imo of course).

Exactly right. I love this song because I believe it's the only song in the band's catalog where the band can really stretch their legs in a loosely-structured arrangement. The drums, bass and keyboard parts are hypnotic together and allow Jeff and Nels to really channel something improvisatory and get as loud as they wanna be. Whatever type of day the band is having you can tell best during Spiders.

Othersongs:

I actually think this is one of their best songs... have you ever seen them do this live? It is an amazing experience. If not I gues sthe closest you can get is dnld the already recommended mp3 and enjoy the ride. I guess it all comes down to different strokes for different folks, for instance the song that I can't believe anyone actually likes is Country Disappeared. I get the idea/theme behind the song but musically I can't get onboard with it... I skip it almost every time it comes up.

SG

Othersongs:

I actually think this is one of their best songs... have you ever seen them do this live? It is an amazing experience. If not I gues sthe closest you can get is dnld the already recommended mp3 and enjoy the ride. I guess it all comes down to different strokes for different folks, for instance the song that I can't believe anyone actually likes is Country Disappeared. I get the idea/theme behind the song but musically I can't get onboard with it... I skip it almost every time it comes up.

SG

As much as I like Spiders, I can understand why people dislike it more than I can understand the dislike for Country Disappeared. CD is such a beautiful,classic sounding song. I think someone mentioned it somewhere and I agree, it sounds like it could have been written and recorded for Planet Waves.

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but if it's an indictment of barre chords, I suggest you give it another listen, as Jeff's not playing them. (or

)

Would be nice if that douche would tab out 3:11 to 3:21 or so. This douche would appreciate it.

Would be nice if that douche would tab out 3:11 to 3:21 or so. This douche would appreciate it.

I don't think this is quite how that DB plays it, but it is how this DB plays it, tho YMMV.

|--------------------|-----------------|
|--4-2-0-2-0---------|--2~------0-4-0--|
|--4---------4-------|--2~-2s4---------|
|--2-----------------|--0~-------------|

The only version I like is the early early version. Pittsburg 2002 is a good example. Haven't liked the song in an other incarnation really since. I would use Spiders for a bathroom break at a Wilco show even if I did not have to go..

:rolleyes

yep.

4/27/02 Schnectady, NY is my favorite version.

up until the abomination that appeared on AGIB, Spiders was one of my all-time favorite Wilco songs. i'd kill for a studio version of those early '02-03 ones some day.

I don't think this is quite how that DB plays it, but it is how this DB plays it, tho YMMV.

|--4-2-0-2-0---------|--2~------0-4-0--|
|--4---------4-------|--2~-2s4---------|
|--2-----------------|--0~-------------|

:lol

thanks anthonyc007

I agree with the "hearing it live" crowd. It really comes alive when you hear it live!!

Now can someone tell me what the hell this song is about?!?!? Who are the spiders? What is kidsmoke?!!?

just saw this. I'm horrible at tabs but will try and find time soon.

edit: I think I add a note or two that Jeff doesn't play, btw.