What's the consensus on Wilco (The Album)?

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like W(TA). But, as a recent (this year) Wilco convert (although casually listening since "Being There"), who is still currently digesting the entire catalog, I would say that W(TA) is a tight album, and recorded "by the book", the book being a pop-rock handbook. The melodies, lyrics and arrangements aren't experimental, but straight forward. And, as a straight forward pop-rock record, it works very well. But it doesn't fit into any of the other categories that the other records fit into, because Wilco just hasn't made a pop record before.

I agree with your comments on (TA), MarkyMark. Just curious, though -- you didn't find Summerteeth guilty of some of the same charges? To a far worse degree, in fact?

Or does Summerteeth's "uber pop" push it into another realm entirely?

I agree with your comments on (TA), MarkyMark. Just curious, though -- you didn't find Summerteeth guilty of some of the same charges? To a far worse degree, in fact?

Or does Summerteeth's "uber pop" push it into another realm entirely?

That's what I was gonna say...Wilco has definitely made a pop record before. And remember that fun discussion about the artwork? Where's that thread...?

You and I both know you can never have too much turkey.

Turkey Bacon Bikini

"you didn't find Summerteeth guilty of some of the same charges?"

Somewhat, but not consistently. Summerteeth is not a total pop record, but a record with a lot of pop stuff on it. "She's a Jar" is not a pop tune, for example. W(TA) has pop song after pop song on it which, as said elsewhere, will probably lessen its repeat playing for me because there's no mystery. That may be its biggest offense, that it's a little more disposable than the other records.

What I would like to hear is the non-radio friendly version of "Can't Stand It". Does such a thing exist? Or was the song written specifically to be the single?

"you didn't find Summerteeth guilty of some of the same charges?"

Somewhat, but not consistently. Summerteeth is not a total pop record, but a record with a lot of pop stuff on it. "She's a Jar" is not a pop tune, for example. W(TA) has pop song after pop song on it which, as said elsewhere, will probably lessen its repeat playing for me because there's no mystery. That may be its biggest offense, that it's a little more disposable than the other records.

What I would like to hear is the non-radio friendly version of "Can't Stand It". Does such a thing exist? Or was the song written specifically to be the single?

I've done a complete 180 on "Can't Stand It." Maybe it has something to do with seeing it live lately, but that's a great song. And Wilco has plenty of other songs that sound more "radio-friendly" to my ears.

Guest Speed Racer

My understanding is that it was written to be the single, and that it was recorded out in L.A. Could be wrong...

Edit: According to Wikipedia, they remixed the song. The Summerteeth demos might have a different take, but I can't recall.

I love the solo electric version of the song that Jeff did ca. 1999.

"Deeper Down

One Wing

Bull Black Nova"

"you think these are pop songs?"

These are for sure at least pop-informed: great, catchy melody and non experimental. To me, it's not an insult. "One Wing" is as catchy as anything I've heard in a long time. BBN has a great pop groove.

On the other three, I understand what you're saying. But look at this list:

"(The Song)"

"You Never Know"

"One Wing"

"Bull Black Nova"

"You and I"

"I'll Fight"

"Sonny Feeling"

"Deeper Down"

All of these would have been welcome on AOR radio, or even 70's pop radio. Maybe not top 40 material right now (thank God), but they all fit in nicely with the history of pop music in the last 40 years.

Guest Speed Racer

Defense exhibit 1: Lady Gaga

I rest my case.

Not really, you don't.

You don't want Wilco to be Top 40 because they will sound like Lady Gaga?

You don't want Wilco to be Top 40 because people who listen to Lady Gaga might listen to them?

You don't want Wilco to be Top 40 because Lady Gaga might listen to them?

You don't want Wilco to be Top 40 because Lady Gaga will sound like them?

You don't want Wilco to be Top 40 because Lady Gaga might not be on the charts if Wilco takes her place?

"Not really, you don't."

Oh no, I really do!

Not interested in an argument. Just saying they don't sound like Lady Gaga or Britney or whoever the kids really like these days, so they won't get that kind of exposure. If Wilco did get that kind of exposure, that would be great (probably)!

"Lady Gaga might not be on the charts if Wilco takes her place?"

That'd be fine by me!

"I still don't get people who thank god the band they love isn't more successful."

I'd agree. Like it's a badge of cool or something, like the same people who can't stand new fans of their band, like they're jumping on the bandwagon. That's certainly not me. I just meant that they can't break into it because of what's popular right now, and radio is so controlling.

I was talking to a music publisher for EMI recently about the Nashville music culture. He said that you really can't underestimate the power radio has over artists in Country music. It has to fit their template, which is very narrow. I thought with the internet, that some of that power would have eroded, but it just hasn't, at least yet, and at least in Country. He's also a big fan of some more obscure bands that I love, too, but could never get any traction with them as far as label or publishing. I'm not sure what it's like in top 40, but I'd guess that it's close to the same. Maybe a little less insular.

Of course, if Wilco got really big, like U2 big, then I wouldn't get to see them in the smaller venues they play now. Should I be conflicted about that? :P

"I read it as him thanking God that Wilco doesn't have songs that sound like the ones that currently sit in the Top 40."

Yup.

Guest Speed Racer

There are plenty.

Like what? I think the solo shows in particular highlight each songs inherent catchiness and melodic inclinations. Even Spiders and BBN have undeniable hooks. The noise doesn't undo the pop of LTYT, just as it wouldn't if it were tacked onto the end of a Feist song.

And forgive me for bragging, but I have no idea who "Lady Gaga" is. I feel so blessed and serene, not to mention lucky.

Oh, and I fixed it for you. :lol

Guest Speed Racer

Of course it all depends on your definition of pop, but just off the top of my head here are some that don't fit mine.

AM: Dash 7

BT: Misunderstood

ST: (umm, pass)

YHF: Reservations

AGIB: ALTWYS

SBS: On and On...

(TA):Solitaire

Dash, Reservations, On & On and Solitaire are all songs I could easily place in the emotional montage sequence of a Julia Roberts movie (the part where she silently weeps and vows to ______ despite her own shortcomings). Misunderstood and ALTWYS are both songs I could easily place somewhere in a non-Bruckheimer action movie (a political thriller, perhaps).

edit: ALTWYS could also totally be in the 2025 remake of Sleeping with the Enemy, starring Dakota Fanning.