What's the consensus on Wilco (The Album)?

Great: BBN, One Wing, Deeper Down, I'll Fight

Good: Solitaire

Meh: You Never Know, You and I, Sonny Feeling, Wilco The Song (should have been kept as a live track only or a b-side)

Bad: Everlasting Everything

The great and good above would have made a super five track EP.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't rank my Wilco albums so much as consider each of them a distinct tool to be added to my tool box. I would never, ever listen to YHF when I was in the mood for SBS, because they don't serve the same function for me - it would be like trying to clean a window with a hammer.

For me, Being There and Summerteeth are screwdrivers or pliers....I use them the most. A Ghost is Born and YHF might be the hammer or tape measure.

W(TA) is the caulking gun.

I forgot to mention Country Disappeared, that says it all really.

File it under 'meh'.

"Country Disappeared" certainly seems to be one of the more polarizing songs on the album. Lots of people consider it to be one of the highlights -- if not absolute best -- songs on the album. Others can't dismiss it quickly enough. I'm firmly in the former camp. I guess BBN would be the most essential track for me here, but CD is certainly the most beautiful.

Guest Speed Racer

Using that analogy, what tools are each present and past band members of wilco? :P

John is the allen wrench - Wilco needs him like America owns IKEA furniture;

Glenn is the staple gun - fun to use and holds everything together;

Nels is the nail gun - a showier way of using an old favorite, and for things the old favorite can't do quite as well;

Pat is the rag - you use him for everything and need him for nothing (OH, SNAP!);

Mike is the level - keeps things even, and more necessary than he initially seems.

Jeff is the box. He decides what stays and what goes.

Jay was is a Leatherman - the $$$ version that could do everything but print money.

Leroy was a handle with those removable tips for different screwdriver heads.

Ken was a staple gun that started to jam. Like, not in the good way.

everything before that was from the Wilco Starter Kit: cheap plastic handles, faulty-sized heads, purchased with the intention of being replaced by "real" tools.

Guest Runaway Jim

Being There - Tabasco

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Cholula

Summerteeth - Sriracha

A.M. - Salt & Pepper

A Ghost Is Born - Tabasco Habenero

Sky Blue Sky - Frank's

Wilco (the album) - Wasabe

You must be a Summerteeth person than because nothing beats Sriracha when it comes to hot sauce.

Guest Speed Racer

You must be a Summerteeth person than because nothing beats Sriracha when it comes to hot sauce.

Tabasco Habenero, as it happens. ;) Sriracha is my go-to for pizza, chinese and thai.

everything before that was from the Wilco Starter Kit: cheap plastic handles, faulty-sized heads, purchased with the intention of being replaced by "real" tools.

Bob Egan is still with Blue Rodeo, another band loaded with good guitar players. He still makes his mark. Saw them a couple weeks ago, great concert. Their new stuff is really good...they played 6 new songs but when I checked their website seems unawares of it. :mellow

Bob Egan is still with Blue Rodeo, another band loaded with good guitar players. He still makes his mark. Saw them a couple weeks ago, great concert. Their new stuff is really good...they played 6 new songs but when I checked their website seems unawares of it. :mellow

Blue Rodeo is a great band, largely due to the Keelor/Cuddy songwriting collaboration, not their guitar playing. Unfortunately, talented guys like bassist Donovan and multi-instrumentalist Egan don't always get the credit they deserve. I love Egan's contribution to Wilco's Live at the Troubadour concert.

See you at Massey Hall! (You know that Cuddy is a big Wilco fan, right?)

Blue Rodeo is a great band, largely due to the Keelor/Cuddy songwriting collaboration, not their guitar playing. Unfortunately, talented guys like bassist Donovan and multi-instrumentalist Egan don't always get the credit they deserve. I love Egan's contribution to Wilco's Live at the Troubadour concert.

See you at Massey Hall! (You know that Cuddy is a big Wilco fan, right?)

Keelor and Cuddy live can both shred pretty damn well on guitar! Check out a show if you haven't seen them. But of course you're correct, its the songs...

I knew Jim was a fan, and last time at Massey I think a few famous ppl were spotted close to the front-- Ron Maclean, Ron Sexsmith, can't remember who else. Maclean is a huge fan. Actually the Jim Cuddy Band (who I've also seen live) has an entry on wikipedia that mentions Jeff Tweedy as a past guest contributor, does anyone know the details?

well, now i have to check out blue rodeo. wasn't there a hair band called blue rodeo in the 80s? i'm confused.

as to the original intent of this thread, W(TA) is as good as anything the band has ever done. it's not immediate. nothing by them is immediate to me. however, it's a grower and will get many listens over the years. there's a reason i keep going back to farrar and tweedy, as i do with dylan and springsteen. they are great american songwriters.