What's the consensus on Wilco (The Album)?

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i now realize that i responded to a pretty old thread, but what makes it not part of the 'canon'? it's part of their body of work; hell, even b sides or unreleased live songs would be fair game in that definition, i'd think.

Just my opinion. Not trying to be combative.

I'd have a hard time calling most of AGIB pop. To me, pop is almost synonymous with "radio friendly", which a lot of Wilco tunes, but not all, are.

Wilco is above radio, and they kick television.

I'd have a hard time calling most of AGIB pop. To me, pop is almost synonymous with "radio friendly", which a lot of Wilco tunes, but not all, are.

Wilco is above radio, and they kick television.

Well, pop has at least a couple of definitions. And by the original one, the one where the term is short for "popular music", I think it's safe to say that most of what we rock fans listen to is pop. Of course within the rock genre the term "pop music" has its own, somewhat pejorative meaning. I would hope anyone who classified AGIB as pop would be referencing the first definition.

Guest Speed Racer

What does "most popular" mean? One people listen to the most? One people talk about the most? I really don't mean to get into definitions, but you say it gets mentioned a lot, and I mention it a lot because it's a terrible song.

What does "most popular" mean? One people listen to the most? One people talk about the most? I really don't mean to get into definitions, but you say it gets mentioned a lot, and I mention it a lot because it's a terrible song.

A terrible song?

I will go on record here and say that Jeff Tweedy has never recorded a "terrible song".

It's my opinion and has as much weight as my breath.

And to reanswer the OP, I really like W(TA). SBS is/was a grower that really took off in a live setting; AGIB is and will always be sublime (Wilco's best in my opinion. YHF is almost painful in its desperate and constrained emotional content. Jeff was not is a good place emotionally here and his relationship with Jay was toxically codependent.

Ah hell...my weightless opinions bore even me.

Guest Speed Racer

I will go on record here and say that Jeff Tweedy has never recorded a "terrible song".

If I've said it once...there are just no excuses for this. I would listen to One Wing twelve times a day for the rest of my life rather than hear that song, and only that song, for a week.

But One Wing is weak, to me. It's lyrics are overwrought and dramatic (a la 15 year-old girl, not like a classic novel). It's a 100% good U2 song, which means it's about a 20% good Wilco song.

One Wing, Wilco (The Song), Bull Black Nova, You Never Know, Sonny Feeling, Dark Neon I like. The rest are subject to being skipped over.

It's been a while since Crow and Sexual Napalm have had a go at each other, I haven't seen it since she was speed racer. Is this going to get interesting?

Look let's not kid ourselves we all enjoy a good argument here now and then (even us moderating types), but I'd think if you got to an argument six months ago, you might not adore it if a uninvolved third party brought it up to try to egg you on.

--Mike

I was thinking he was asking which song on WTA do people here like the most? Which as with everything can be tricky to navigate as we all have vastly differing opinions. If I attempted to answer the question: What’s the consensus on Wilco (The Album). I think even as objectively as I tried ultimately I would favor my own opinion of the thing, which while shared by a number of people here, I don’t consider a consensus.

My perception of WTA from reading these boards is that there aren’t quite as many outliers as there were with Sky Blue Sky and Ghost. People that really like WTA aren’t quite arguing with the same fervor as the people who liked those records (it seems even the people who like WTA will readily acknowledge there are Wilco albums they like more). And the people who don’t like the album usually seem to concede that there are at least a few songs, they find enjoyable. Either that or they got so frustrated with it, they just gave up trying or were named moderators and stopped slagging the band in public. Err… just kidding folks. Anyway I could be completely off, but it is at least what I perceive from what I remember reading.

--Mike.

Guest Speed Racer

Leave Me Like You Found Me >>>>> One Wing

Wow. I went to bemydemon to quote the dumbest lyric from LM and the dumbest lyric from One Wing to show you how wrong you were, but I don't think I can.

But the music to One Wing can more easily blend in to my background than the JC Penney whine of Leave Me.

It's been a while since Crow and Sexual Napalm have had a go at each other, I haven't seen it since she was speed racer. Is this going to get interesting?

Nah..I'm trying to change my ways.

I seem to piss off just about everybody now and again and have been chastised enough for my liking.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

One Wing is the one song I really like on W(ta). You Never Know and Wilco (the song) I like a bit too. The rest are subject to being skipped over.

And Tweedy has written a terrible song. He's written a couple. They are called What Light and You and I.