Now Playing: September 2009

373166512.jpg

Two Cow Garage (along with Jon Snodgrass from Drag The River!) visited Fort Wayne a week ago, were very entertaining and even did 2 covers - Springsteen and Petty. So much fun! I'd never seen them live before ... about time!

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mastersoftheburial.jpg

I didn't even know she had a new disc coming out. How is it?

I didn't even know she had a new disc coming out. How is it?

She's got this great tour through Ontario this month with Darcy Yates and Christine Brougie. Itching to see one of the shows.

First listen - sounds good so far.

Gtrplyr - you got the new Wooden Sky? I'm battling to find time to listen to it, but what I've heard also sounds very good.

She's got this great tour through Ontario this month with Darcy Yates and Christine Brougie. Itching to see one of the shows.

Gtrplyr - you got the new Wooden Sky? I'm battling to find time to listen to it, but what I've heard also sounds very good.

Is it similar to her last one? I couldn't really get into that one.

I see from the tracklisting that she covers a recent Death Cab for Cutie song, hmmm, interesting. I hope the record is mostly originals, not a big fan of covers in general.

I don't have the Wooden Sky disc yet, but I did hear a few tracks from it recently, and they were quite good. I will definitely have to search that one out.

NP:

BF012AndreEthier350.jpg

Andre Ethier - On Blue Fog

Sorry, I meant the album, not the tour.

Oh - yup - very similar. You might want to skip. Truthfully, it took a long time to get into the first one and only slowly came around to thinking that they were classic songs. It was the lyrics to 'baby I' that finally pulled me in.

I'll get over you when the moon gets tired of chasing the sun

I'll get over you when all God's work on Earth is done

And on that day when I go to meet my maker's son

I'll need no one and I'll be over you

Baby I'm going on without you

Maybe I'm even gonna get through

But baby I'll tell you something that'll never be true

Baby, I'll get over you

GtrPly - Yeah - I think there are 2 covers on it, but don't immediately recognize the 2nd. I know that you can have 20 years to make a first album and then 18 months to make a second, but putting more than one cover on there kinda bugs me too.

here - found the article about the covers:

http://exclaim.ca/ar...d2=4&fid1=40681

Excerpt:

'After nearly five years of scribbling notes andplucking at her guitar, Millan hadn't churned out enough songs to makean album, so she began covering some of her favourite tunes. Masters Of The Burialfeatures a handful, including Sarah Harmer's "Old Perfume," RichardHawley's "Run For Me" and Death Cab For Cutie's "I Will Follow You IntoThe Dark." "I could do covers for every record I ever put out. I wouldbe happy to do that," Millan says. "I could do that forever. I have awhole list that didn't go on the record. I love listening to musiciansinterpret other people's songs. I think it gives them a freedom,because they're not emotionally attached to them than if you createsomething yourself. You're singing it because you love it, not becauseyou wrote it."

She's accepted the fact that covers, drenched in her own rootsy flair,might unearth and articulate those buried sentiments much better thanher own tunes. With the exception of Metric's "Poster Of A Girl,"however, Millan won't divulge the exact songs she plans on adapting forour listening pleasure. After all, some secrets need to remain buried.We don't want other artists discovering just how she manages to charmthe pants off her fans, do we now?

"I feel like if I name the songs I want to cover, God knows JoelPlaskett's going to come out and do all the covers I've evermentioned," Millan deadpans. "Not that he's trying to steal them fromme, but by osmosis he'll be like, 'Wow I don't know why but I thought Ishould do this cover.' It's like recipes, you know. [My covers] are asecret chocolate cake recipe."

Cheers for the Andre. I think he's got something coming out on Vinyl only soon.

NP - Chris Hart - The Magic Hour.

m_e50ac9421a4243129a95b62ecaa8e659.jpg

Hate the cover on this, but the music is pretty good. There's a dedication to all the girls at the Beef Baron - a local strip club.