Now Playing: September 2009

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, I guess I haven't given it a fair shake. Now that I am sick and am gonna be out of work for a few days, I can see me giving it another try.

I was in the exact same boat as you about six months ago. The Search seemed long to me as it was. I bought the bonus material about a year and a half ago, but never really gave the songs a fair shake. They were tacked onto the end of The Search, and I didn't really pay attention to them that much. I've been on a huge Farrar/Volt kick the past six months or so, and going back and listening to them, I realized I never gave them the proper attention. I've since reordered my deluxe Search album to reflect the track sequencing of On Chant and Strum.

SIDE ONE

01. The Search

02. Carnival Blues

03. Methamphetamine

04. Bleed the Line

05. L Train

06. Phosphate Skin

SIDE TWO

01. The Picture

02. Beacon Soul

03. Underground Dream

04. Exurbia

05. Adrenaline and Heresy

SIDE THREE

01. Action

02. Circadian Rhythm

03. Bicycle Hotel

04. Houdini Punches

05. Acetone Angels

SIDE FOUR

01. Satellite

02. Automatic Society

03. Waking World

04. Highways and Cigarettes

05. Coltrane Free

05. Slow Hearse

I was in the exact same boat as you about six months ago. The Search seemed long to me as it was. I bought the bonus material about a year and a half ago, but never really gave the songs a fair shake. They were tacked onto the end of The Search, and I didn't really pay attention to them that much. I've been on a huge Farrar/Volt kick the past six months or so, and going back and listening to them, I realized I never gave them the proper attention. I've since reordered my deluxe Search album to reflect the track sequencing of On Chant and Strum.

Well, I am going to re-tag them in proper order. When I bought them, they were interspersed through The Search wherever their original tagging was...It's up next on my queue. But now I am listening to this:

51jvH%2Bm23lL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Great so far. Not as awesome as Emoh but it's really cool nonetheless. He had written Emoh for so long that the songs couldn't be anything but excellent. It was a good synthesis of his solo work. However, Goodnight Unknown sounds like he's stretching a little and the hype seems justified (sounds like later-day Folk Implosion, which I like).

1372.jpg

After a weekend of Beatles remasters, I've come back to this at work today. I'm totally loving this album. I think it helps that I've been just a casual Lucero listener, so I'm not bent out of shape at the new sound. Can't wait to hear these songs live!

6a00d8341c974f53ef011572250dac970b-450wi.jpg

I gots no problem whatsoever with this album. :wub

despite it being overly glossy & sappy, it's grown on me quite a bit. lyrically there's some real gems for sure.

i'd still put it way behind 3-4 of their other records/EP's tho.

300x300.jpg

I've been listening to this a ton over the last couple of months. Great album.

1372.jpg

After a weekend of Beatles remasters, I've come back to this at work today. I'm totally loving this album. I think it helps that I've been just a casual Lucero listener, so I'm not bent out of shape at the new sound. Can't wait to hear these songs live!

As a fairly big Lucero fan, I think their newest is easily their best. Although a move towards the mainstream, it's amazing how well orchestrated these songs are. Curious to see how they'll reproduce live.

despite it being overly glossy & sappy, it's grown on me quite a bit. lyrically there's some real gems for sure.

i'd still put it way behind 3-4 of their other records/EP's tho.

I broke one of my own rules and read comments before I listened and was prepared for the worst. I have actually been pleasantly surprised that in spite of the gloss and sap (seriously are you shocked by that? They have got to be some of the most charming saps writing music right now. :lol) the Avett quirkiness manages to shine right through the Rubin production.

As a fairly big Lucero fan, I think their newest is easily their best. Although a move towards the mainstream, it's amazing how well orchestrated these songs are. Curious to see how they'll reproduce live.

This Friday!!!! :dancing

I broke one of my own rules and read comments before I listened and was prepared for the worst. I have actually been pleasantly surprised that in spite of the gloss and sap (seriously are you shocked by that? They have got to be some of the most charming saps writing music right now. :lol) the Avett quirkiness manages to shine right through the Rubin production.

I think when bands start getting jumped on the minute their album releases, that indicates that they have finally made it.

In all seriousness, I think the album is great. I left it alone for 2-3 days and came back to it. There isn't a song on the album that I don't like. For me, it's missing a bit of banjo and some rock. As a whole, I really like the album but tend to agree with Solace...it's behind Emotionalism and 4 Thieves for sure.

re: the new Lucero... this change/evolution of their sound is just SO much more natural feeling to me than the last record.

that said, as much as i like this new one, no way does it touch That Much Further West or Tenneesse for me, but it blows the last record to pieces. too early to say if i like it more than Nobody's Darlings, at this point it's not hit me as hard.

as for the Avetts new one... yeah, the switch from a majority of banjo-driven to piano-driven songs is one of my biggest problems. plus the studio version of Kickdrum Heart is SO SO damn lame compared to the live versions they'd been playing for a long time :yucky

ah... that makes sense. TN was mine, probably why i still love it so much. ND is fantastic though. wasn't until Rebels that i didn't love a Lucero record honestly.

Back in the day there was a local record reviewer, LeRoi. If he hated an LP it would get a "Fly Me" rating.

Fortunately CDs can still rate a "Fly Me", which Is precisely what I did with Rebels. It was very satisfying.