New Flaming Lips Album Now Streaming

Pitchfork may give it's first 10 for a new album in a while (they have given 1o's for reissues but not a real album in a while i don't think). If not 10, at least in the 9's...unless they just go off the deep end.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how you make a rock record.

If it is, well then I might just have to abandon the genre entirely.

Someone put this in Jeff Tweedy's pocket please.

Please, dont - I'd rather not have to hate Wilco's next album - as I do this overworked piece of tuneless skronk.

If it is, well then I might just have to abandon the genre entirely.

Please, dont - I'd rather not have to hate Wilco's next album - as I do this overworked piece of tuneless skronk.

I feel a bit sorry for you.

This album is mercifully only $7.99 at Best Buy this week.

And the special $16.99.

I know what is in the special because it is lavishly photographed on the Lips' website.

what i don't know is what the normal DOES have.

does it have the normal Wayne song commentary?

i know all the music is on one disc instead of two. this doesn't bother me, and i'm not too keen on the DVD audio, so if those are the only two differences except the fur, then i'd go the cheaper route.

but.......if i only get wayne's commentary in the fur (if it even has commentary) that will make it tougher. the fur is only somewhat enticing but not $10 enticing...

Please, don't.

No, really. Don't you want Wilco to have any sort of edge? You may or may not like this album, but it's so much better than the Lips last album, I almost can't believe it. It really gives me hope for Wilco, and other bands I love that have lost their edge. This album is gut wrenching and beautiful all at the same time. You call it an "overworked piece of tuneless skronk". Overworked because it's so long? Well fine, maybe. But a tuneless piece of skronk? Are you serious? How is it tuneless? And what is skronk?

No, really. Don't you want Wilco to have any sort of edge? You may or may not like this album, but it's so much better than the Lips last album, I almost can't believe it. It really gives me hope for Wilco, and other bands I love that have lost their edge. This album is gut wrenching and beautiful all at the same time. You call it an "overworked piece of tuneless skronk". Overworked because it's so long? Well fine, maybe. But a tuneless piece of skronk? Are you serious? How is it tuneless? And what is skronk?

I’ll invite you over for my daughter’s next playdate - when there are eight children running around with just as many electronic dodad noise makers, and you’d be amazed at how similar it might sound - I’m not even joking, not even a little bit.

The vocals on “If”, among other tracks, sound a little too much like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZkrxoJY1Wo&feature=related

If you were to strip away all the extraneous noise, there would be very little left to listen too. Whereas, if you were to do the same with the new Circulatory System cd, you’d be left with some brilliant pop songs.

I don’t find it edgy, just annoying as all hell. 15 years ago, I may have thought it brilliant, but now that I’m older, I just don’t have time for this shit.

15 years ago, I may have thought it brilliant, but now that I’m older, I just don’t have time for this shit.

So basically, you're just admitting you've lost whatever edge you once had and are too lazy to invest the willpower and time to appreciate a sonically dense and complicated piece of music. I mean, thats fine, at least you're honest. But even you yourself admit that 15 years ago you would have thought it was brilliant....so whos correct, the former you, or the current washed up incarnation? There are plenty of us who still approach music with open ears and minds, and the record we are hearing is the one the younger version of yourself would have enjoyed.

And I still dont quite understand this constant point you keep trying to make regarding "noise". All music is noise in one form or another. Im a huge ambient fan and listen to artists such as Stars of the Lid, who's music basically entails simple drones fading in and and out, over and over again. Some might call it boring or devoid of a purpose. I find it to be some of the most cathartic, beautiful, and important music composed in the past decade. The Lips new album is basically operating at the opposite end of that spectrum (although it dosent even come close to approaching the sonic madness of someone like say Merzbow)...so no, most of the record does not contain what can be easily identified as catchy verse/chorus hits. The noise itself is creating the atmosphere, mood, and ideas attempting to be conveyed. Its abstract. This isnt MEANT to be a radio friendly pop record; its an album where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and bits taken out of context dont really operate as well on their own. But its obvious that you came into this album expecting to be pandered to, so it dosent surprise me that you feel dissapointed and confused. I am sure there are plenty of other artists out there who are willing to compromise and meet you halfway.

That is what is most amazing about this new Lips album. As their age peers produce corporate, safe and friendly music (In Rainbows, Wilco the Album), these guys come out with a complete rawkus surprise that pushes sonci boudnaries and redefines the band.

With the release of Embryonic, I am forced to conclude that the Lips truly are a throwboack to the truly great rock bands. I am shocked and awed at this buzzing, chaotic, beautiful psychedelic piece of work. If psychedelic pioneer Syd Barrett were alive today, he would want to shake hands with this band not only for the quality of this album, but for the fortitude they show in following their artistic vision in an increasingly generic corporate world.

That is what is most amazing about this new Lips album. As their age peers produce corporate, safe and friendly music (In Rainbows, Wilco the Album), these guys come out with a complete rawkus surprise that pushes sonci boudnaries and redefines the band.

With the release of Embryonic, I am forced to conclude that the Lips truly are a throwboack to the truly great rock bands. I am shocked and awed at this buzzing, chaotic, beautiful psychedelic piece of work. If psychedelic pioneer Syd Barrett were alive today, he would want to shake hands with this band not only for the quality of this album, but for the fortitude they show in following their artistic vision in an increasingly generic corporate world.

Hey, essox. How's it going? What is this, your 15th screen name?

So basically, you're just admitting you've lost whatever edge you once had and are too lazy to invest the willpower and time to appreciate a sonically dense and complicated piece of music. I mean, thats fine, at least you're honest. But even you yourself admit that 15 years ago you would have thought it was brilliant....so whos correct, the former you, or the current washed up incarnation? There are plenty of us who still approach music with open ears and minds, and the record we are hearing is the one the younger version of yourself would have enjoyed.

And I still dont quite understand this constant point you keep trying to make regarding "noise". All music is noise in one form or another. Im a huge ambient fan and listen to artists such as Stars of the Lid, who's music basically entails simple drones fading in and and out, over and over again. Some might call it boring or devoid of a purpose. I find it to be some of the most cathartic, beautiful, and important music composed in the past decade. The Lips new album is basically operating at the opposite end of that spectrum (although it dosent even come close to approaching the sonic madness of someone like say Merzbow)...so no, most of the record does not contain what can be easily identified as catchy verse/chorus hits. The noise itself is creating the atmosphere, mood, and ideas attempting to be conveyed. Its abstract. This isnt MEANT to be a radio friendly pop record; its an album where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and bits taken out of context dont really operate as well on their own. But its obvious that you came into this album expecting to be pandered to, so it dosent surprise me that you feel dissapointed and confused. I am sure there are plenty of other artists out there who are willing to compromise and meet you halfway.

Yes, if no longer deriving intense pleasure from albums such as this means I’ve lost my all important edge, well, oh fucking well. I find bands such as Godspeed You Black Emperor, A Silver Mt. Zion, John Zorn, Sigur Ros, Brian Eno, Phillip Glass, Zeni Geva, Ghost, Sonic Youth, TV on the Radio, Slint, whatever name Mike Patton is recording under at any given moment, and about 100 other bands infinitely more “experimental” and worthy of admiration than 99% of what is found on the new Lips album - which, from where I’m sitting, sounds like experimental for novices.

My taste in music is as broad as your apparent willingness to pretend to know who I am and what I like. You do realize music is subjective, no?

I’ve been listening to the Lips since the 80’s, and I approach each release with an open mind, I just think the new one is a mess - you don’t, big fucking deal.

Now excuse me, I need a band-aid, as it appears as though I’ve cut myself on your razor sharp edge.

Yes, if no longer deriving intense pleasure from albums such as this means I’ve lost my all important edge, well, oh fucking well. I find bands such as Godspeed You Black Emperor, A Silver Mt. Zion, John Zorn, Sigur Ros, Brian Eno, Phillip Glass, Zeni Geva, Ghost, Sonic Youth, TV on the Radio, Slint, whatever name Mike Patton is recording under at any given moment, and about 100 other bands infinitely more “experimental” and worthy of admiration than 99% of what is found on the new Lips album - which, from where I’m sitting, sounds like experimental for novices.

My taste in music is as broad as your apparent willingness to pretend to know who I am and what I like. You do realize music is subjective, no?

I’ve been listening to the Lips since the 80’s, and I approach each release with an open mind, I just think the new one is a mess - you don’t, big fucking deal.

Now excuse me, I need a band-aid, as it appears as though I’ve cut myself on your razor sharp edge.

But to get back to the rest of your message, I'm surprised I even took the time to read it after you made this comment:

I’ll invite you over for my daughter’s next playdate - when there are eight children running around with just as many electronic dodad noise makers, and you’d be amazed at how similar it might sound - I’m not even joking, not even a little bit.

That is just a ridiculous statement to make. It's not like this is an electronic version of Ornette Coleman. It's not an avant garde piece with random noises here and there. There are beats and melodies being made with these "noises" that I'm sure children would not be able to replicate with some toys. But you weren't even joking about that, not even a little bit. How am I supposed to take anything you say seriously after that? I'm not sure why you felt the need to list bands that you find more experimental and worthy of your praise, since you followed it up with

You do realize music is subjective, no?

I don't care whether you like this or not, but it deserves more credit than your giving it, comparing it to kids playing with toys. And I'll stand by my original statement, I want Jeff Tweedy to hear this today. That doesn't mean I want the next Wilco album to sound like this, but he could use a little kick in the ass.

You may want some geritol too.

Me, I'm partial to Metamucil. Has the band sold the rights to one of their songs to the folks at Geritol yet? I liked how they put the edge back in Mayonnaise, which, on account of all these washed up health conscious douche bags, had, up until that point, lost a good deal of its artery choking edge.

I have no idea how much I'll like Embryonic 5 years from now. I just know I like it right now. It's fresh and bold and crazy and whacked and at-times beautiful. I REALLY liked that they tried something that sounds radically different from their recent efforts. It sounds as if Coyne and Drozd enjoyed the hell out of their jam sessions. Yes, it kind of sounds like a mess at times, but in the best way possible.

People have brought up Wilco (The Album) or In Rainbows as examples of other well-established bands releasing bland records. I kind of agree with Wilco....their newest seems at times bland and/or on cruise control. Radiohead, on the other hand, made a more laid-back sounding album...but I think it's anything but Radiohead on cruise control. To me, it sounds like Radiohead is still moving forward.

I have no idea how much I'll like Embryonic 5 years from now. I just know I like it right now. It's fresh and bold and crazy and whacked and at-times beautiful.

That's a good way of putting it.

People have brought up Wilco (The Album) or In Rainbows as examples of other well-established bands releasing bland records. I kind of agree with Wilco....their newest seems at times bland and/or on cruise control. Radiohead, on the other hand, made a more laid-back sounding album...but I think it's anything but Radiohead on cruise control. To me, it sounds like Radiohead is still moving forward.

I'd say they've been in a holding pattern since Kid A. Embryonic to me is "moving forward".

At this point I have no choice but to put this easily as the top album of the year, even with a couple other very nice releases (Middle Cyclone, MPP, Ready for the Flood, etc).