New Flaming Lips Album Now Streaming

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i streamed it once and was blown away. something about the last 2 albums has been a little too "clean" and borderline "cutesy."

i predict this will be huge.

Pitchfork may give it's first 10 for a new album in a while (they have given 1o's for reissues but not a real album in a while i don't think). If not 10, at least in the 9's...unless they just go off the deep end.

I've listened to some of it, and so far, it's pretty good. However, I often wish the Lips, along with Radiohead, would just put down the electronics, pick up their guitars, and get back to rocking the fuck out every now and again.

I’ve listened to this a few times, and feel confident enough to state that from where I’m sitting, it’s a near total failure. Where the hell are the actual songs? All the extemporaneous bleeps and blips are a big part of the bands charm, but as a counter balance, they backed them up will killer melodies. On this one, however, the song writing has taken a distant backseat, and the bleeps, blips, zoinks and doinks have wrested control of the wheel, making for a much less enjoyable ride.

I'm not sure what to think about this one. I listened to about half of and wasn't impressed with it. Seems very boring to me. I really disliked their last album and was hoping for something a little more engaging.

well this record is certainly WAY more engaging. it's their most ambitious album musically in almost a decade. it's not nearly as poppy as their last 3 efforts have been, i'll give you that. but listen with a nice pair of headphones, there's a lot of crazy/cool stuff going on.

not saying it's an amazing record, it's a challenging one, but one that imo is pretty rewarding if you give it a little bit of your time.

i streamed it once and was blown away. something about the last 2 albums has been a little too "clean" and borderline "cutesy."

I streamed it twice and was impressed.

I may be in the minority, but I liked their attempt at being "clean" on the last few records. Those records are soothing and yet interesting, for the most part. But they were DEFINITELY due to go crazy on an album, and from what I heard, it sounds daring and wild and sometimes-whacked. Maybe that means a couple mis-steps, but I'd rather listen to unsure experiments than already-tried formula.

Wayne talked about him and Steven Drozd going into a room and just jamming crazy jams and then making songs out of the ones they liked. Wayne said he was wanting to make an album totally different than the last few. I know at least one other band I wish would do the same (ahem...Wilco....ahem...).

I’ve listened to this a few times, and feel confident enough to state that from where I’m sitting, it’s a near total failure. Where the hell are the actual songs? All the extemporaneous bleeps and blips are a big part of the bands charm, but as a counter balance, they backed them up will killer melodies. On this one, however, the song writing has taken a distant backseat, and the bleeps, blips, zoinks and doinks have wrested control of the wheel, making for a much less enjoyable ride.

I think this album is way more about texture / atmosphere than it is about melody. This is the same band that split an album up into four discs meant to be played simultaneously. If you're awareness of this band stretches back earlier than the Soft Bulletin, this album won't necessarily come as a complete shock.

If anything, even if you completely dislike the direction they went with, you can at least appreciate their willingness to change things up a bit.

I think this album is way more about texture / atmosphere than it is about melody. This is the same band that split an album up into four discs meant to be played simultaneously. If you're awareness of this band stretches back earlier than the Soft Bulletin, this album won't necessarily come as a complete shock.

If anything, even if you completely dislike the direction they went with, you can at least appreciate their willingness to change things up a bit.

I’ve been a fan since their Restless days, my exposure to the band came by way of Telepathic Surgery – and I’m usually on board for just about anything they’re willing to try – including Zaireeka, which I love. Their latest, however, strikes me as adventurous in a clichéd, self-indulgent sort of way. I’m having a really difficult time trying to articulate just what it is I don’t like about it. It just strikes me as the sort of album where its creators lock themselves in the studio and just go apeshit amusing themselves, which can often result in classic records, but in this case, it just doesn’t work for me. It sounds similar to the din created by our three year old and her friends when they have eight different noise making toys going at once – it gives me a headache is what it does. And sometimes, I could swear Coyne sounds a lot like that old creepy dude on Family Guy.

It’s unfortunate that Embryonic will receive all sorts of press, while a better, more deserving album such as the new Circulatory System goes largely unmentioned outside of a relatively small pool of indie mags, blogs, etc.

well this record is certainly WAY more engaging. it's their most ambitious album musically in almost a decade. it's not nearly as poppy as their last 3 efforts have been, i'll give you that. but listen with a nice pair of headphones, there's a lot of crazy/cool stuff going on.

not saying it's an amazing record, it's a challenging one, but one that imo is pretty rewarding if you give it a little bit of your time.

So far, while listening to this record, I have never once had my interested piqued. Not once. No "hey that sounded good" or "hey, there's a song." Not once, I tell you, not once.

Thus, I submit to you that in no way is it interesting or even engaging: it's just plain bad. Challenging: you bet. It's challenging my patience. Their last one (At War...) was bad too but this one is really bad. The random blips and bloops minus the melody are really grating to my nerves.

maybe we have different copies. :stunned

plus the melody to Convinced By The Hex is like Spoon on acid. Silver Trembling Hands also has a really great melody too. it's not just "random blips and bloops" either btw, there's a lot more going on under the surface.

it's certainly a psychedelic rock album at it's core, no question about it. if you're not that into psychedelic stuff i can completely understand not enjoying much of the album.

It's now streaming at npr.org in case you missed it.

I still don't know what to think of it. I don't hate it. It's kind of like Wilco (The Album) for me. A lot of times I have find it to be underwhelming, but then other times I'll just be blown away by it. I think it's definitely better than their last record but I don't know if I'd go as far as to call it a classic yet. But I think seeing the new songs live will put another perspective on them as well.

So far, while listening to this record, I have never once had my interested piqued. Not once. No "hey that sounded good" or "hey, there's a song." Not once, I tell you, not once.

Thus, I submit to you that in no way is it interesting or even engaging: it's just plain bad. Challenging: you bet. It's challenging my patience. Their last one (At War...) was bad too but this one is really bad. The random blips and bloops minus the melody are really grating to my nerves.

Do you like early Lips? A lot of these songs feel like they would right at home on Zaireeka (which is awesome in my book). Its not an album about pop song melodies (although there ARE plenty of those)...its psychedelic/free jazz (all sorts of Miles Davis influences on this thing)/kraut, etc all rolled into one. But to each their own, I guess. I find it very hard to believe that on an album this diverse and sprawling, you cant find a single element you like. When compared to bands in their age class (like Wilco), it just feels so much more alive and vibrant.

Those people talking about "atonal noise" obviously have never heard such a thing. Compared to

, this is downright easy listening.

This record is mindblowingly good. Floyd and Miles Davis are all over this thing, and mixed in perfectly with the Lips own sound.

Beautiful, inventive, vibrant, alive, daring. This is how you make a rock record.

When compared to bands in their age class (like Wilco), it just feels so much more alive and vibrant.

OTM.