New Flaming Lips Album Now Streaming

I would consider myself I pretty big Flaming Lips fan and I have only listened to the new album twice, but it sounds like complete trash to me. Being a huge fan of Clouds Taste Metallic and Transmissions, I can handle the 'experimental' stuff, but this just seems forced. This album does not seem as musically brilliant as most of their other albums, and above all, it is annoying and corny. The song 'I Can Be a Frog' is one of the stupidest songs ever, and I have a feeling that if it was some other band it would be ripped apart. The whole time up to 'I Can Be a Frog' was a huge "meh", and then after that song I pretty much gave up on the rest.

I realize that there might be some decent songs on here, but I would argue that not one of them can top anything off of Soft Bulletin. Overall, the tracks are annoying and repetitive. After all this praise I felt like it was only necessary for me to bring all of you back to reality for a couple minutes. This cd is not nearly as good as everyone is making it out to be.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This album may be great (don't know as I have only heard a few songs) but not sure why "challenging" records with more weird noises and strange sounds is somehow "cooler" than something more accessible like "In Rainbows" or "Wilco (the album)". I know that's not what everybody is saying but the subject always comes up.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with weird noises, but rather the *energy* and the complete artistic change. The Lips are an older band than both Wilco and Radiohead(still considered their peers), but Embryonic is just crackling with vitality and the energy of a 25 YO rock band that sounds excited and driven. This is in stark contrast to the lower energy MOR released by their peers.

With Embryonic, the Flaming Lips have the vitality, drive and energy that Wilco and Radiohead seemed to circa 1998-2000. That is mindblowing.

I'm fairly certain that if Wilco had put out a version of the last album with weird noises and screetches but kept the lyrics and vocals the same, some people would have said it was the greatest thing ever recorded.

i agree.

It seems if you add abstract tendencies to music it makes it less commercial and more artistic. Without it, it's just another radio friendly pop recored. Indy fans seem to like their music more if the masses don't.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with weird noises, but rather the *energy* and the complete artistic change. The Lips are an older band than both Wilco and Radiohead(still considered their peers), but Embryonic is just crackling with vitality and the energy of a 25 YO rock band that sounds excited and driven. This is in stark contrast to the lower energy MOR released by their peers.

With Embryonic, the Flaming Lips have the vitality, drive and energy that Wilco and Radiohead seemed to circa 1998-2000. That is mindblowing.

but are the "songs" mindblowing ? Dunno. Ordered a copy today.

I can say for certainty that the songs on The Soft Bulletin are definitely that.

I still don't think the songs on this album are nearly as good as anything on Soft Bulletin or Yoshimi.

It's nice that they are energized, and I'm sure the live show will be insane, but I have a hard time calling this album anything more than interesting...

but are the "songs" mindblowing ? Dunno. Ordered a copy today.

I can say for certainty that the songs on The Soft Bulletin are definitely that.

It's nothing like the Soft Bulletin, Clouds Taste Metallic, Transmissions, At War With the Mystics, or Yoshimi. If you are only a fan of those albums, you will likely not "get it." The songs are not structured at all like the songs on those albums. There is very little similarity in arrangement, feel, etc. The Flaming Lips have, once again, reinvented themselves, and some people are not going to like it, some are going to think it's trash, and that's OK, because I fucking love what they've done.

The songs here are much more organic, spacey, and jam based. What it reminds me most of is earlier Pink Floyd (Ummagumma-ish era) or early Mercury Rev. Weird, trippy, jammy stuff that captures a certain feel. It's not based around lyrics or song-writing or carefully crafted chord progressions (which is a departure from previous albums, and seeing that this is a Wilco board, it's a departure from the usual Wilco style as well) AND THAT'S OK. I am not surprised that certain people don't get it, but for those that do, it's a treat.

It's nothing like the Soft Bulletin, Clouds Taste Metallic, Transmissions, At War With the Mystics, or Yoshimi. If you are only a fan of those albums, you will likely not "get it." The songs are not structured at all like the songs on those albums. There is very little similarity in arrangement, feel, etc. The Flaming Lips have, once again, reinvented themselves, and some people are not going to like it, some are going to think it's trash, and that's OK, because I fucking love what they've done.

OTM! This is what great art rock bands do. They reinvent themselves.

The songs here are much more organic, spacey, and jam based. What it reminds me most of is earlier Pink Floyd (Ummagumma-ish era) or early Mercury Rev. Weird, trippy, jammy stuff that captures a certain feel. It's not based around lyrics or song-writing or carefully crafted chord progressions (which is a departure from previous albums, and seeing that this is a Wilco board, it's a departure from the usual Wilco style as well). I am not surprised that certain people don't get it, but for those that do, it's a treat.

Again totally OTM. This is Miles Davis + early Floyd. Think "Nick's Boogie"(1966) and "Interstellar Overdrive" meshed with Ummagumma:

It's experimental psychedelic rock done very well.

the noises aside, i think this is really a great rock album. see the leaves, the ego's last stand, worm mountain - all great rock songs. thematically it seems much stronger than say yoshimi - where coyne was talking about robots for 4 songs and then that theme just completely disappeared for the second half of the album. this album the "she" that he is writing to/about reappears throughout the entire album. i'm trying to figure out what it all means still (this as my guide: http://www.flaminglips.com/forum/general-lips/wayne-song-song-commentary-embryonic-no-audio ), but it seems to be stronger than yoshimi and definitely stronger than mystics.

what does OTM stand for? On the mark?

To me, Embryonic is like hearing the early era Lips except they know much more musically in how to get themselves across. This record is so much more about conveying feeling and letting the song take form rather than constructing a song and trying to get something out of it. If that makes sense.

the noises aside, i think this is really a great rock album. see the leaves, the ego's last stand, worm mountain - all great rock songs. thematically it seems much stronger than say yoshimi - where coyne was talking about robots for 4 songs and then that theme just completely disappeared for the second half of the album.

This is a good observation. This seems to be some big, organic, pagan, tribal, hallucinogenic ball of fury. At least that's what I get out of it so far.

Embryonic and The Soft Bulletin are such different records. I wouldn't start comparing them.

So, to be clear, comparing Embryonic to The Soft Bulletin = not ok - but comparing the current Wilco and the current Radiohead to the current Flaming Lips is ok?

This is a good observation. This seems to be some big, organic, pagan, tribal, hallucinogenic ball of fury. At least that's what I get out of it so far.

yeah and full of paranoia.

what's really amazing about this album is that wayne is 48 years old and writing this stuff. this album sounds like something from a band made up of 20 year olds. i mean how many songs on here sound like they were made by lightning bolt? it's like if lightning bolt had a singer and could write poetic lyrics then this is what they might turn out (well half the album, the other half is much more subdued).

I just noticed on Conan they left out the "burning the bibles tonight" line... what vaginas

To me, Embryonic is like hearing the early era Lips except they know much more musically in how to get themselves across.

This.

The song 'I Can Be a Frog' is one of the stupidest songs ever

But this, too, unfortunately. I can't stand Karen O.

Can't wait to see them tour on this record; I hope they leave the hamster ball at home and just do what they did last night on Conan.

Embryonic and The Soft Bulletin are such different records. I wouldn't start comparing them.

This makes no sense.

It's dumb to compare to records by the same band?

It's only logical that any artist's work is consistently compared to his previous work. They may be different albums, but people will compare Embryonic to many things, including TSB.

some very interesting news:

Not that Coyne has lost his lifelong love for Pink Floyd. He and the Lips have been working in the Norman studios of ex-Chainsaw Kitten Trent Bell, in collaboration with Stardeath and White Dwarfs, the band fronted by Coyne’s nephew Dennis Coyne, on their own version of what is arguably Pink Floyd’s greatest album, "The Dark Side of the Moon.”

The demented voices on the record will be supplied by Coyne’s good friend, Henry Rollins. Peaches will provide the screaming on "The Great Gig in the Sky.”

"I think it’s going to be an exclusive on iTunes for about a year,” Coyne said. "I’d say probably by Thanksgiving it’ll be available ... and it sounds like it’s just gonna be awesome.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/silence-inspires-embryonic-by-the-flaming-lips/article/3409279?custom_click=pod_lead_ae#ixzz0U6htkyMh

some very interesting news:

Not that Coyne has lost his lifelong love for Pink Floyd. He and the Lips have been working in the Norman studios of ex-Chainsaw Kitten Trent Bell, in collaboration with Stardeath and White Dwarfs, the band fronted by Coyne’s nephew Dennis Coyne, on their own version of what is arguably Pink Floyd’s greatest album, "The Dark Side of the Moon.”

The demented voices on the record will be supplied by Coyne’s good friend, Henry Rollins. Peaches will provide the screaming on "The Great Gig in the Sky.”

"I think it’s going to be an exclusive on iTunes for about a year,” Coyne said. "I’d say probably by Thanksgiving it’ll be available ... and it sounds like it’s just gonna be awesome.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/silence-inspires-embryonic-by-the-flaming-lips/article/3409279?custom_click=pod_lead_ae#ixzz0U6htkyMh

No No No!!! This should not be allowed to happen. We need to stop him and quickly before its too late!!!.

So, to be clear, comparing Embryonic to The Soft Bulletin = not ok - but comparing the current Wilco and the current Radiohead to the current Flaming Lips is ok?

Good Point. I am going through stage where I'm into freak folk, while a few months back I was into great songcraft (beatles), and before that, probably an early 90's alt phase. I've come to realize that I like all kinds of things and I don't have to force a comparison for the sake of working to make sense of it all. Comparing a Wilco song on a tv performance to a Flaming Lips peformance. Why? Musical peers? Who said? Some critic. I think we would all benefit from just asking ourselves, does it move us or not. If the new Lips record slays for you, that is cool, but why do we have to enjoy it at our percieved disapointment with another record?

I'm struggling greatly with this record. I keep getting 5 or 6 tracks played and then give up. I think it's just all the noise without so much of melody underneath it all that's making it a very difficult listen. It's just coming off as a great attempt that fell flat in my book.