Pitchfork Top 200 albums of the 2000s

Thanks man. The 'Wild Frank' is actually a Tom Waits reference. I never thought of the Blue Velvet link. Frank Booth is one scary guy. What do think of Inland Empire? Haven't got a clue what's going on in it but I love it all the same. I think once you start trying to work out what's going on in a Lynch movie it kind of spoils it. Its like art. Don't matter what it means, just enjoy looking at it.

I bought it a few months ago and got through it, albeit having issues with it. That said, it was on cable last night and I watched 45 minutes or so and found myself fairly riveted. Looks like I'll be revisiting it soon. I agree, with Lynch, the promise is always better than the real thing.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Spoon, but do they REALLY deserve 3 albums in the top 100? And I'd have included the DBT's "Southern Rock Opera" or Okkervil River's "Down the River of Golden Dreams" or the Eels' "Blinking Lights" or Wilco's "A Ghost is Born", etc....

"Blacklisted", "And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out", "The Meadowlands", "The Sunset Tree", "Ágætis Byrjun", "Z", "Bows & Arrows", "Echoes", "Give Up"...these are good selections, imo. I like that "Moon & Antarctica" got ranked high.

BUT...

my opinion may be worthless, as I've not heard more than half of their selections. Which of the more "obscure" artists and records are worth seeking out? For instance, I bought Panda Bear's "Person Pitch" because I read it was awesome, and was pretty disappointed. It's not a bad record. Much of it is pretty good. But a top 10 record for the decade? NO WAY!

I like Spoon, but do they REALLY deserve 3 albums in the top 100? And I'd have included the DBT's "Southern Rock Opera" or Okkervil River's "Down the River of Golden Dreams" or the Eels' "Blinking Lights" or Wilco's "A Ghost is Born", etc....

I agree -

fwiw - a few pages back, I posted a truncated list that included a few of these.

my opinion may be worthless, as I've not heard more than half of their selections. Which of the more "obscure" artists and records are worth seeking out? For instance, I bought Panda Bear's "Person Pitch" because I read it was awesome, and was pretty disappointed. It's not a bad record. Much of it is pretty good. But a top 10 record for the decade? NO WAY!

I find much of the Pitchfork list to be disposable. In the next 5 years I don't think I'll find myself reaching for a Panda Bear record. You're right, it's not awful. It just that if I want to play a The Beach Boys record, why not play the real thing.

I think Pitchfork and Drive-By Truckers are like oil and water.

Doesn't the site give them pretty favorable reviews, though. I was also surprised at the omission of a DBT album. SRO, Decoration Day, The Dirty South is about as good of a three-album run as a band could have.

I still think Spoon is underrated and that good, so I don't have a problem with as much Spoon as possible on any list. No Blinking Lights was also disappointing.

No AGIB doesn't bother me because it doesn't surprise me, since I fully expected it not to make this list given its bad review. It would definitely make mine, though.

Agree about the mistakes of omitting AGIB and DBT entirely. I also think Westerberg's Stereo/Mono is a big omission, Dear Science is way too low, and I don't really get the appeal of Jay Z.

That being said, this list is the closest one I've seen so far as to how I would rank music from the past 10 years.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was like 19th in their Top 50 albums of the first five years of this decade, so I guess some how in the five it got a lot better. Anyway, not too displeased with this list. Pretty solid, top Ten, and sorry Jesusetc, Funeral's fucking great, and it's aged as well as any album this decade, in my opinion. I wasn't as keen on Neon Bible, but Funeral is still pretty magical for me.

"Blacklisted", "And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out", "The Meadowlands", "The Sunset Tree", "Ágætis Byrjun", "Z", "Bows & Arrows", "Echoes", "Give Up"...these are good selections, imo. I like that "Moon & Antarctica" got ranked high.

BUT...

Oh shit, Blinking Lights didn't make this list? I know Pitchfork didn't like it when they reviewed it, it got somewhere in the 6.2's. But yeah, that'd it probably be in my top 5 of the decade, let alone top 200.

--Mike

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was like 19th in their Top 50 albums of the first five years of this decade, so I guess some how in the five it got a lot better. Anyway, not too displeased with this list. Pretty solid, top Ten, and sorry Jesusetc, Funeral's fucking great, and it's aged as well as any album this decade, in my opinion. I wasn't as keen on Neon Bible, but Funeral is still pretty magical for me.

--Mike

Considering Funeral was #45 on that 50 in 2005 list P4k had, #2 is quite the improvement. I don't like Neon Bible that much at all, if it makes a difference.

I'm gonna whisper this for fear of a massive back-lash but.....Kid A, and Radiohead in general, aren't actually as good as everyone thinks they are. sssshhhh. Don't tell Pitchfork.

No need to whisper - I'll agree with you. I hate Kid A. I was a pretty big Radiohead fan until they released Kid A. I tried to listen to it a couple of times, but never managed to make it all the way through. I have never gone out of my way to listen to anything they've released since. The couple of songs I've accidentally heard since then have not changed my opinion that Radiohead hasn't done anything that interests me since before Kid A.

Funeral: I adore about half of it. And those few songs tend to get put on constant repeat. I think it belongs on the list.

Panda Bear: I had never heard the names "Panda Bear" nor "Animal Collective" until I noticed that Panda Bear album appearing on just about every one of Pitchfork's guest reviewers' end of year list for whatever year that album came out. So I checked it out. It blew me away. I still listen to it on a pretty regular basis. I also really like Merriweather Post Pavillion, but have not been inspired to check out anything else by Animal Collective.

Putting YHF in front of Funeral would have been terrible in my opinion. In the past half-year, I've listened to Funeral probably about 100-150 times, while I've maybe put on YHF twice. Funeral has a lot more staying power than YHF, at least for me. Funeral grips you and doesn't let go while YHF sort of lazily drifts in the background. Mind you, I would put Funeral as the best and YHF as second best, but I would put Funeral higher than YHF.

I'm ok with the top 20 or so, but after that it's all hogwash anyways. The real travesties are Loretta Lynn and Brian Wilson not even cracking it, let alone the top 20, let alone something like the top 10. But they're too old school for consideration, I guess.

I disagree completely. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is to me the album that encapsulates this decade best, with front to back great songs. There are probably 3 or 4 songs on Funeral I just don't care for, and the ones I do care for don't reach the levels of transcendence that YHF does.

The one thing we agree on is Loretta Lynn and Brian Wilson. I'd also add Bob Dylan to that list for Love & Theft and Modern Times.

Better than Foxtrot though?

Funeral: I adore about half of it. And those few songs tend to get put on constant repeat. I think it belongs on the list.

"Wake Up" is probably in my top 10 songs of the 00s, and "Rebellion (Lies)" is in the top 20. "Tunnels" is also really good. After that it's sort of a mixed bag.

If you took the best parts of Neon Bible and Funeral, I think it'd be an album worthy of Funeral's hype.

Better than Foxtrot though?

Eh, I like Foxtrot more, but saying Funeral is better than Foxtrot to me is like saying Sgt. Pepper is better than Revolver. Of the two there's one I prefer (Revolver, YHF), but there pretty close, I am not really bothered if someone ranks them the other way.

I also have no problem with Kid A at number one, that's an amazing record back to front, it and YHF are 1-2 for me, I have no idea what would come after them, but those two really stood out more than anything else this decade.

--Mike

Eh, I like Foxtrot more, but saying Funeral is better than Foxtrot to me is like saying Sgt. Pepper is better than Revolver. Of the two there's one I prefer (Revolver, YHF), but there pretty close, I am not really bothered if someone ranks them the other way.

--Mike

Fair enough. To me it's more like ranking Help! or A Hard Day's Night over Revolver. I guess I can understand the rush of Funeral and the immediacy...I just don't feel it as much anymore, and haven't felt that rush from the album since probably 06.

You always have the best analogies btw. I still crack up over your Wilco (The Album)= Bill Clinton analogy.

I also think Westerberg's Stereo/Mono is a big omission

Agreed. I'd put it higher than CFMT which made the list. I'd actually put 49:00 above CFMT too.

My biggest problem with the list is the omission of Ghost, and yet Jay Reatard gets in at 200.

I am bummed there's no Ghost, but it's consistent with Pitchfork's position on that record which has always been a little shaky.

Fair enough. To me it's more like ranking Help! or A Hard Day's Night over Revolver. I guess I can understand the rush of Funeral and the immediacy...I just don't feel it as much anymore, and haven't felt that rush from the album since probably 06.

You always have the best analogies btw. I still crack up over your Wilco (The Album)= Bill Clinton analogy.

I listen to Funeral way less than I do YHF, Kid A and some of the other top albums on that list, so it's possible because of that every time I hear it I'm just a little blown away. I think we'll both agree though that The Glow part two really needs to be in credible top ten of the decade.

I would further opine that You And I would clearly be the Monica Lewinsky to WTA's Bill Clinton, and the Jeff Lynne production and You Never Know is Kenneth Starr. These things just come to me.

--Mike

I listen to Funeral way less than I do YHF, Kid A and some of the other top albums on that list, so it's possible because of that every time I hear it I'm just a little blown away. I think we'll both agree though that The Glow part two really needs to be in credible top ten of the decade.

I would further opine that You And I would clearly be the Monica Lewinsky to WTA's Bill Clinton, and the Jeff Lynne production and You Never Know is Kenneth Starr. These things just come to me.

--Mike

Yeah. The Glow, Part 2 was criminally low.

Overall this whole list had a weird feel to it, it was like they were trying to straddle indie and mainstream, and a lot of albums I felt were more suited for the top 50 (Z, Abattoir Blues, The Glow Part 2, Dear Science) were overlooked for ones I didn't think were quite there (Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga).

Also, is M.I.A. THAT great that we need to rank a bootleg of her demo tape in the top 200 over SMiLE, Love & Theft, A Ghost is Born, and Van Lear Rose?

I will never agree with any list entirely, nor should anyone, but the omissions of all Drive-By Truckers albums and A Ghost is Born really tells you a lot about a list. Especially when they have 200 spots to work with.

Plus - could you really leave A Rush of Blood to the Head or The Wind out? I know Coldplay may not be the most popular around here, but that album is wonderful.

Quite a few of my favorite bands o' the decade didn't show up, but I don't blame Pitchfork, I blame the nonsense that is ranking albums like this, which Pitchfork makes its name by, so I do blame Pitchfork.

But seriously, no Grandaddy?

I sort of think if you're doing a best of decade list, it's best to list them chronologically, so that in theory you have an idea of how music changed over the course of the 10 year period, and how different albums and styles grew out of each other.

I sort of think if you're doing a best of decade list, it's best to list them chronologically, so that in theory you have an idea of how music changed over the course of the 10 year period, and how different albums and styles grew out of each other.

Well that just makes a lot more sense.