New Album News - Back in Studio Jan 2010

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

I think Jim and Jeff make very interesting songs and sounds together....better than what Wilco has done recently.

But they haven't collaborated on record since the Wilco Book/AGIB-era (when Born Again came out), which I (though I don't know about you) absolutely love. I wonder what they would be like writing/recording after the SBS/W(TA) era.

But they haven't collaborated on record since the Wilco Book/AGIB-era (when Born Again came out), which I (though I don't know about you) absolutely love. I wonder what they would be like writing/recording after the SBS/W(TA) era.

I don't know, but I hope to find out.

I agree about Wilcobook....I like it a LOT.

I think Jim and Jeff are equally talented, but approach music differently. Mabye that's why their output is so good. With Wilco's last 2 records, it's very clear Jeff is steering the ship..not that that's a bad thingg...just not as interesting as when another musical genius is working with him.

And...if they have a recording session in January, I don't forsee this material being released until Novermberish.

If you bothered to read the article, you would see that John said most likely 2011.

If you bothered to read the article, you would see that John said most likely 2011.

Harshness...harshness...

Then probably Mayish.

So, basically, the next album isn't coming out early, it's just going to be a 2 year wait (a'la Ghost and W(TA)) rather than a 1 year wait (Being There) or a 3 year wait (Summerteeth, YHF, SBS)

I consider AGIB a 3 year wait. So, it's been 3, 3, 2, and now it will be 2 again. So there ya go.

I believe I remember reading in an interview after SBS came out that Jim mixed a version of SBS but the band decided against using it. So they've worked together on Wilco since the AGIB-era.

On Q Jeff said that the band is in a place now, after putting out W(TA) that they sort of have a clean slate in what they can do and how it will be received. I think this is really true, at this point in time I really have no clue what they'll do next, whereas after SBS most of us had a pretty good guess as to what they'll do. It's certainly exciting to think about.

Here's how it plays out.

1 - Wilco goes to the studio

2 - They release a great album

3 - Fans complain that it sounds to much like (insert album here) and

not enough like (insert album here)

4 - Wilco tours

5 - Fans complain about:

1. Setlist

2. Fans singing at shows

3. Fans dancing at shows

4. 458 other reasons

6 - Wilco shake thier heads in disbelief

7 - Uncle Tupelo reunites because Wilco's fans connot be pleased

So... Here's one theory on how it plays out. They start working on the new songs in January, and get em all knocked into shape at the Loft. Then in Apr-May 2010 they tour downunder again (this is based on a comment John made in a recent interview on when they would next be down here). They stay on after the tour and head into "Uncle" Neil Finn's Roundhead studio (with the whole band and some of their own gear this time) and bang out the bulk of the album, then head back home to finish things off. Album out early 2011. Job done.

...Yeah... I know...you're right....it won't happen like that...(The only part i really want to happen is them touring downunder .... )

Not totally unrealistic. I refer you to this months Rolling Stone Neil Finn interview (in which Wilco gets several mentions):

With three 7 worlds show held at Auckland Powerstation in January, finn is hoping they can play Australia at some point. "We're trying to figure it out. Wilco are there next year and so we could probably do smaller renditons of these things. It would be great to get everyone over that side of the world ägain"

Wilco in Australia = :)

Wilco in Australia playing with Neil = :D

I recall reading in Kot's book that John was a guitar tech for Uncle Tupelo, and eventually was invited to join the band....not sure if they knew each other before that.

I believe they had crossed paths on tour when John was in another band (or performing with Laurie) and Uncle Tupelo were just starting out.

please let jim o'rourke be involved with this somehow

I'm hoping the only person they consider for the next one is O'Rourke. I also would like to see a Loose Fur album before a Wilco one. I don't know what O'Rourke's up to these days. He's supposed to be in Japan and was supposed to have put out a new solo record on Drag City, but haven't heard of it coming out yet.

I'm hoping the only person they consider for the next one is O'Rourke. I also would like to see a Loose Fur album before a Wilco one. I don't know what O'Rourke's up to these days. He's supposed to be in Japan and was supposed to have put out a new solo record on Drag City, but haven't heard of it coming out yet.

This one?

large.jpg?1248993044

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2009/10/nels-cline-talks-on-wilcos-next-record.html

haven't seen this posted yet. sorry if it was. pretty interesting. seems like the band may be doing more of a building in the studio thing along the lines of SBS.

I hope it rocks. More songs like "Monday," fewer like "Solitaire," please. Thanx!

I wouldn't mind more songs along the lines of Hell is Chrome. :yes

I'm with you on that. A combination of real blistering, dark night of the soul songs akin to At Least That's What You Said, mixed with stuff like Hell is Chrome and Spiders (Kidsmoke) would be alright to me. I'd like a real dark, jarring album ala A Ghost Is Born right about now. Call it a palette cleanser.

But I still like the last 2 albums...for me, they're the only 2 in their catalog I'm not synced up to yet. I'm fine with that. I figure down the line they'll probably fit in perfectly with me at that time. I was just so used to every album mirroring my emotional state that it's thrown me off.

Generally when a band tries to record a new album that quickly after one just came out, it's a sign that the band is unsatisfied in some way with the previous record.

Let's hope they don't make another Sky Blue Sky. :no

I'm sure that's what Dylan was thinking when he rushed out 'Highway 61' and 'Blonde on Blonde' within twelve months of 'Bringing It All back Home'!!!!

And I'd be more than happy with another Sky Blue Sky.

I'm sure that's what Dylan was thinking when he rushed out 'Highway 61' and 'Blonde on Blonde' within twelve months of 'Bringing It All back Home'!!!!

yeah, but that was normal in those days. if you left it 3 years between albums people would have thought you'd died and the record company would have released a bunch of outtakes to keep the money flowing.

as for the new album. i hope it's nothing like any of their other albums. i just want them to try something different. now, when jeff tweedy hears the word "different" (based on what i've read in interviews) he seems to think people mean avant garde. maybe some do, but i don't. i suggest he sits down and catalogues all the styles of music he hears in their songs, so far recorded, and then makes another list of styles of music he likes which they haven't tried, then go on from their. it's not like their recorded output looks like Ween or anything, there are a lot of avenues that they could go down, without making huge leaps in sound, but would still be different and interesting.

yeah, but that was normal in those days. if you left it 3 years between albums people would have thought you'd died and the record company would have released a bunch of outtakes to keep the money flowing.

as for the new album. i hope it's nothing like any of their other albums. i just want them to try something different. now, when jeff tweedy hears the word "different" (based on what i've read in interviews) he seems to think people mean avant garde. maybe some do, but i don't. i suggest he sits down and catalogues all the styles of music he hears in their songs, so far recorded, and then makes another list of styles of music he likes which they haven't tried, then go on from their. it's not like their recorded output looks like Ween or anything, there are a lot of avenues that they could go down, without making huge leaps in sound, but would still be different and interesting.

I would like to hear an album full of the band's take on pop rhythm and blues ala "The Thanks I get" and "Side with Seeds".

Maybe an album full of crunchy Stonesesque rock songs. Maybe an album of pretty folk rock songs.

Maybe just whatever the muse is moving Jeff at that time produces.

I will be a happy camper no matter what...the one thing in life that never disappoints.

Here's how it plays out.

1 - Wilco goes to the studio

2 - They release a great album

3 - Fans complain that it sounds to much like (insert album here) and

not enough like (insert album here)

4 - Wilco tours

5 - Fans complain about:

1. Setlist

2. Fans singing at shows

3. Fans dancing at shows

4. 458 other reasons

6 - Wilco shake thier heads in disbelief

7 - Uncle Tupelo reunites because Wilco's fans connot be pleased

You'd better watch it...you will be accused of "stirring up shit for the hell of it"...

Or you will get a post response along the lines of ”What I have learned is that if someone makes it a point to constantly note such negativity, then ultimately they are really just creating more negative space. It's best to just let it go.”