Wilco to play Neil Young tribute show in L.A.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh my goodness, is it me, or did most of the acts shown here completely suck!!??!!!

Guess I'm not jaded enough because I thought it looked and sounded great. OK, Mellencamp should be banned from covering anyone ever again (he royally messed up Springsteen too recently). Then again, those songs are all great so it'd be hard to screw this up.....can't wait to hear Wilco cover those songs.

oh my goodness, is it me, or did most of the acts shown here completely suck!!??!!!

They sure seemed to feature the ones that did. Being there probably made most a little better, but Jason Mraz and James Taylor (from the ones they featured) certainly did suck. Unfortunately two of the best, Wilco and Elvis were seen and not heard, which is crazy.

Hoping for a DVD for sure.

Seriously, that looked like a snorefest. Nearly all the clips sounded like easy listening / adult contemporary.

That ain't Neil. This is Neil.

No makeup, no fancy threads, no great vocal technique, no great technical prowess on guitar, no great nothin'. Just freakin' GREAT.

Seriously, that looked like a snorefest. Nearly all the clips sounded like easy listening / adult contemporary.

No makeup, no fancy threads, no great vocal technique, no great technical prowess on guitar, no great nothin'. Just freakin' GREAT.

Great concert video: Rust Never Sleeps. Saw this the night before I went to college in 1979 - those Rust Vision glasses must be here somewhere.

Great concert video: Rust Never Sleeps. Saw this the night before I went to college in 1979 - those Rust Vision glasses must be here somewhere.

Sure was. I was turning 14 that year, my friends and I saw it several times on the cinema screen. So I guess you could say I was one of the first Rusties, haha (and maybe one of the youngest). We were doing a lot of "recreationals" in those days, but the Cow Palace shows on film left a lasting impression on me...especially the performances of Thrasher, Like A Hurricane, Powderfinger, and Cortez. Still one of my all time favorite concert films.

Sure was. I was turning 14 that year, my friends and I saw it several times on the cinema screen. So I guess you could say I was one of the first Rusties, haha (and maybe one of the youngest). We were doing a lot of "recreationals" in those days, but the Cow Palace shows on film left a lasting impression on me...especially the performances of Thrasher, Like A Hurricane, Powderfinger, and Cortez. Still one of my all time favorite concert films.

I wonder how all the goofiness with the Road Eyes / Jawas would have come off with a few more recreationals. They are a bit silly sober.

I saw Neil do the Rust Never Sleeps show in Denver in 1978. If I had to pick, I think it would end up as the best concert I've ever seen. Sorry Wilco, but you are in the top three.

Edited to add: These performances really are poor. John Mellencamp and James Taylor are standout awful.

I saw Neil do the Rust Never Sleeps show in Denver in 1978. If I had to pick, I think it would end up as the best concert I've ever seen. Sorry Wilco, but you are in the top three.

I envy you....and I wouldn't presume to argue that point. OTOH - if Neil's pinnacle was RNS, where Crazy Horse were the very basic garage band foundation for his brilliant creativity, then it makes me respect what Jeff's done all the more. Rather than stand on the shoulders of a "good" band playing exactly what they're told to, he's challenged himself to work with better and better musicians over the years. You may not like the Gen3 Wilco as much as the earlier versions, but they have serious chops and great chemistry. That takes effort to accomplish, and a fair bit of ego downsizing.

I envy you....and I wouldn't presume to argue that point. OTOH - if Neil's pinnacle was RNS, where Crazy Horse were the very basic garage band foundation for his brilliant creativity, then it makes me respect what Jeff's done all the more. Rather than stand on the shoulders of a "good" band playing exactly what they're told to, he's challenged himself to work with better and better musicians over the years. You may not like the Gen3 Wilco as much as the earlier versions, but they have serious chops and great chemistry. That takes effort to accomplish, and a fair bit of ego downsizing.

Don't envy how old that makes me though....Personally, I wholeheartedly think Gen3 Wilco live is the best so far, based on the 3 shows I've seen so far over the last few years. I hope to confirm that with the 3 shows next week. I'll bet they don't play Broken Arrow though. I'll bet that was a one off event.

here:

Moderator edit:

Via Chicago Rules & Regulations:

Wilco has a long-standing policy against the videotaping of their shows, and out of respect for this policy, the posting of such videos on Via Chicago is not allowed. This also applies to solo Jeff Tweedy shows.