Wilco to play Neil Young tribute show in L.A.

According to this, they are likely to appear at the Grammys as well. :dancing

Dave Matthews, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Wilco to Honor Neil Young at MusiCares Concert

11/10/09, 4:55 pm EST

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/11/10/dave-matthews-red-hot-chili-peppers-wilco-to-honor-neil-young-at-musicares-concert/

Dave Matthews, Red Hot Chili Peppers, John Mellencamp, Wilco and Crosby, Stills & Nash are just a handful of the artists set to pay tribute to legend Neil Young at the 2010 MusiCare’s Person of the Year gala on January 29th at the Los Angeles Convention Center. The event will honor both Young’s Rock & Roll Hall of Fame-worthy musical achievements as well as his philanthropic work, which includes leading roles in both Farm Aid and the Bridge School benefit concerts. Both Mellencamp and Matthews serve on Farm Aid’s board of directors alongside Young.

Additionally, the MusiCares tribute to Young will include performances by Jackson Browne, Norah Jones, Sheryl Crow, k.d. lang, Emmylou Harris, Ozomatli, Josh Groban and Everest. The gala will be among the highlights in the week leading up to the 52nd annual Grammy Awards, taking place January 31st at Los Angeles’ Staples Center. Past honorees of the MusiCares Person of the Year award include Bono, Brian Wilson, Billy Joel, Aretha Franklin and, most recently, Neil Diamond. Rolling Stone was on hand earlier this year when Coldplay, Dave Grohl and Jennifer Hudson all paid tribute to Neil Diamond.

In previous years, many artists who performed at the MusiCares events also took the stage at the Grammys Awards, so Wilco and the Dave Matthews Band should perhaps expect some good news when the nominees for the 52nd annual Grammy Awards are announced December 2nd.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like they may spend the week between 1/29 and their 2/7 date in the Pac NW on the West Coast? They wouldn't fly home and then back, would they? Studio time? Additional dates?

Wonder what Neil Song (s) they'll play. Sounds cool.

Seems like they may spend the week between 1/29 and their 2/7 date in the Pac NW on the West Coast? They wouldn't fly home and then back, would they? Studio time? Additional dates?

Wonder what Neil Song (s) they'll play. Sounds cool.

With the guitar army that the boys can throw down, Cortez the Killer or Like a Hurricane would be sweet. However, as Jay has played these live for years, Jeff might not want to enter into a controversial seeming 'competition'. Maybe 'Down by the River'.

If I had a say into these things...I would like to hear the boys tackle the following:

Down by the River

Winterlong

Cortez the Killer

Like a Hurricane

Rockin' in the Free World

Hey, Hey, My My

and My, My, Hey, Hey

Josh Groban should honor Neil Young by staying home

This is an odd enough appearance that one might assume that Neil is a fan and wants him there.

Kinda like the time Bruce had Terence Trent D'Arby as a special guest at benefit show.

Guest Speed Racer

Awesome family vacation in CA during what is easily the worst time of year in Chicago?

Josh Groban, and many of the other performers listed, have played various Bridge School benefits, Farm Aids, etc. with Neil. Many literally with Neil. I seem to recall a Josh Groban/Neil duet of "Harvest Moon" in 2008. I'm sure this is related to their inclusion in the program; not to say Grammy nominations aren't possible for some.

Josh Groban, and many of the other performers listed, have played various Bridge School benefits with Neil. Many literally with Neil. I seem to recall a Josh Groban/Neil duet of "Harvest Moon" in 2008.

That doesn't keep him from sucking. :thumbup

(In my opinion, of course)

Very glad to hear about this! Wilco at the Grammy's. What a trip.

Having had to listen to Josh Groban's Christmas CD on repeat at a chain bookstore for three months last year, I can attest to the fact that he's awful! Haha. If he's a fan, by all means have him there. Variety I suppose.

Down by the River would be my choice, but anything off of "Old Ways" with some pedal steel would be amazing!

With as many great songs as Neil has it is very difficult to narrow it down.

Anyone of those suggested would be great...here are some others:

Out on The Weekend

Lookout Joe

Welfare Mothers

Anything off Ragged Glory

Change Your Mind

The Loner

Alabama

When You Dance

Its all One Song