The Thanksgiving Thread

This year, as every year, I am primarily thankful for my family. My parents are (relatively) healthy, I actually like my siblings (I know not everyone feels this way about their family!), and my nieces and nephew continue to be my favorite people in the world.

But I’m also thankful for Berkeley Rep, the Magic Theatre, and ACT. I’m thankful for Sketchfest, lots of other live comedy, and assorted comedy podcasts that I’ve become addicted to over the past year. I’m thankful for Nellie McKay and Howard Fishman, M. Ward, Elvis Perkins, and Monsters Are Not Myths.

I’m thankful for Irish Nights at Giants games, the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, the Alameda County Fair, Mendocino, and for a few very beautiful, very cold days in Washington, DC this past January.

I’m thankful for public libraries, good documentaries, and “Silent Saturdays” during soccer season.

I’m thankful for all my friends, including the one who scared the hell out me this year but is now recovering at a remarkable rate (something else to be thankful for); and for all the friends I’ve met through VC, who have shared a bunch of the above-referenced experiences with me. And I’m thankful for those of you whom I’ve never met in person, but I count you as real friends, anyway.

I’m particularly thankful for my fellow VC moderators, who take some serious crap sometimes, and almost never deserve it. ;) And of course, I’m thankful for/to all of you who have donated or bought a t-shirt (or who plan to; I’ll keep on being thankful!) to keep this place up and running. :cheekkiss

I'm thankful

• for my family, even if I don't know if I like my siblings quite as much as gogo likes hers
  • for my friends, near and far, and all of the different ways I've met and gotten to know them
  • that I can survive on paltry amounts of sleep for days at a time, and that turning 30 hasn't immediately changed that
  • to have visited five new countries this year
  • to Amoeba Hollywood for having a $25 5-CD Louis Jordan box set
  • that it hasn't snowed here yet
  • that the Dave Rawlings Machine is playing the High Noon in December
  • that Jon Hamm had the good fortune to be extremely hot, and an excellent actor
  • that Wilco tours so much, among other things
  • for Zwarte Piet and Sinterklaas
  • for warm blankets
  • for good books
  • to gogo for starting this thread, and making me think concretely about all of the things I have to be thankful for

And I'm thankful to B for not letting my thread die like... well, like a turkey on Thanksgiving, unfortunately.

I'm also jealous of quite a few of B's thankfuls, but that's not really in the proper spirit, is it? :lol

:cheekkiss

I am mostly thankful that I made it to 44 without losing my hair, even if it is going gray, or losing my mind, which was a very real possibility a few years ago.

I am thankful for great music, great tv and great books to fortify my mind against the tide of common denominator tripe that is pushed on us as mass culture.

I am thankful that I live on the top of a hill and have mostly missed out on the terrible flooding these past couple of weeks.

I am thankful that Sky Sports is showing ALL 3 NFL games on tv on Thursday!

And of course all that family malarkey and friends stuff and all that...:cheers

Guest Runaway Jim

I'm thankful to be in love.

I'm thankful to have survived layoffs and still have a job.

I'm thankful Phish got back together this year so I could finally see them.

I'm thankful that my brother went through a Dylan fad years ago, and that I inherited 15+ albums that I'm still listening to constantly years later.

And I'm thankful for my friends and family.

Guest Speed Racer

Oooh, I too am thankful for my fun job and amazing co-workers, one of whom orchestrated a pumpkin-carving party last year to introduce me to the most beautiful girl in the world. :wub

And I'm thankful to be very much in love with that beautiful girl.

I'm thankful for my girlfriend's cats, who think I'm pretty cool and sleep on my face.

I'm thankful for my amazing family, who continue to be as weird and quirky as ever, but who are always there for each other.

I'm thankful for my awesome friends, e-friends and neighbors.

You know what? I'm also thankful for my landlord. That guy has a thankless job, but he sure is one hell of a responsive and nice guy. After having some friends with really awful landlords, I appreciate him a lot.

Oh, and I'm way thankful for Hulu and Netflix.

Man, SOOO much has changed this year leaving MUCH to be thankful for!!!

I am thankful this year for the following:

Meeting and falling in love with a wonderful man, musician even, who loves Wilco as much as I do!!!

My best friend of 25+ years for being there for me in the worst of times as well as the best.

My mother who if she didn't do all that she did for me & my girls, I have NO IDEA where I would be.

I am especially grateful and thankful for the above three, as this being the year I lost my job and have yet to get back to where I was have made sure that I didn't suffer from it.

My beautiful, smart, funny, incredible, ever-changing daughters!!!

My Wilco Week over the summer w/ the new man.

My music collection and knowledge growing thanks to the b/f.

My many wonderful friends, old and new, near and far some of whom I've yet to meet.

My new job that at least makes me feel worth something.

My new home and my roommate, we make a good combination when it comes to raising our three children together.

My chance to see a good portion of the country during my cross-country trip to be in my other bff's wedding in Montana.

My health, strength and sanity.

My favorite band and their leader for giving me endless hours of comfort, joy, fun and listening pleasure!!!

Guest Speed Racer

Bumperoo.

I'm grateful for our office's annual pre-Thanksgiving Indian food feast, the leftovers from which we all get to take home. And a slow afternoon, working only with my favorite clients. Hell, I'm even grateful for the heartburn I get from the Indian food and my least favorite clients.

My family and my job. Both help me keep going everyday.

This great country we live in and the opportunities she gives us.

Music and food - I teach my children they should be treated similar. "Enjoy as many different types as you can."

Living Room Shows

Buffets (I don't get to eat very many...my wife hates them)

Backstage passes (only had a few)

A dining room table with every seat filed. (mainly with people you like)

Bananas Foster (cooked at your table in New Orleans)

4 Lackey posters on the walls of my house.

My sweet, beautiful and caring wife who puts up with my stacking (of just about everything in our home), smacking (working on it), snoring (can't help it) and constant search for the next artist or song that will help frame the moments in my life.

I still have a job

Still married after 18 years and still very much in love

Family is healthy - 2 great daughters

Music, music, music

My band practice room in the basement

My band

Sister in law doing all the cooking today

Beer and Wine

I'm thankful:

• that my nephew is healthy after having cancer a few years ago.
  • that I have a job (was unemployed for four months earlier this year).
  • that my 10-year-old car is holding up for the 75-mile round-trip commute.
  • for all of the wonderful music that gets me through the rough days and makes the good ones better.

I am thankful for

- every single second with my husband who after almost 5 years still puts me in a state of speechlessness when I just look at him in awe

- my daughter being on a good way in her life, successful at school and trying to find her place in life (not easy these days I suppose)

- my parents still being relatively healthy even after the shock of my brother's death last year

- for us both having jobs that either pay quite well (Rob) and/or are fun most of the time (mine and despite all the moaning, Rob's too :P)

- for having found this amazing flat whose view astonishes me every morning when I get out of the bedroom door just to see the river as first thing

- for my friends from near and far, longtime as well as the new ones I found this year through my job

- for getting a bit tired of my favorite bands so I got the chance to check out other stuff and go to different shows than just always Wilco and REM

- for all the lovely food that we can afford and have fun cooking and eating

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you :love

I'm so thankful for this thread, and for all the friends I've made through VC and love so dearly even if I'm iffy about staying in touch.* :stunned More later when time is more generous.

* If you think I might mean YOU, well of course I do. :cheekkiss You're amazing and I treasure knowing you.

i am thankful to be pursuing an education in something i love

for my sister and father's constant support

for my dog's unconditional love

for so many wonderful friends all over the globe

for having the best voice teacher ever

for all the wonderful opportunities i have had this year

for still being employed at a great place

I´m thankful for

-my family,my children and my parents,all around me driving me crazy,

sometimes,but giving me the chance to see,everyday, the perfect miracle

of life

-my job,where I can talk with any kind of people,and help them,and know

the power of my smile

-the music,which help me to say goodbye to my darkness.Obviously Wilco,

making true this amazing opportunity of know you all

-my friends,specially the new ones I found there,blessing my life with

love and mercy *

-last but no least,my husband,for being there.And,I know it,

that´s no easy sometimes. :wub

*Hope nobody´s jealous if I send YOU my special Thanksgiving kiss :cheekkiss

I'm thankful for:

-My family, especially the new little nieces and nephews

-My friends - online and off

-My students, who make going into work fun and new every day

-Music, which keeps me more or less sane.

-Health - since I don't have insurance at the moment

Pretty boring list, but I'm especially thankful for the many good role models I've had in my life - people older and younger than me who have made me into a slightly better person than I would have been if I hadn't had them to look up to. These People have been generous to me for no reason at all and made me want to do a bit of the same for other people.