Jeff Tweedy (solo acoustic) Phoenix, AZ 12/27/09

Beautiful show. I was row 13 dead center and he sounded fantastic.

Here's what was played that I know and yes he played a lot more. The show was about 90 minutes which was a little disapointing since the lady who seated me said "2 1/2 hours and no intermission" but still awesome none the less. Jeff joked all night about his sister being there and how he played the show to pay for the trip to see her for the holidays. He also joked half the crowd was her guest list. He toyed with some shouters who wanted him to be a human juke box. He was in good spirits. The last two songs he played unplugged at the end of the stage. The crowd gave him some curve balls telling him he was "funky" to which he joked he had never been called that before. A lady near the front asked him where his banjo was. Another guy yelled "pay the fine" which confused most. The guy assumed that if Jeff played longer he would get fined. It was a very good show and I only wish he played longer considering this is the first time he has ever done a solo acoustic show in Arizona.

Jeff Tweedy

12-27-09

Phoenix, AZ

Orpheum Theater

1.Sunken Treasure

2.Remember The Mountain Bed

3.Please Tell My Brother

4.Hummingbird

5.Country Disappeared

6.Ruling Class

7.I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

8.Bob Dyaln's 49th Beard

9.You And I

10.Muzzle Of Bees

11.How To Fight Loneliness

12.Impossible Germany

13.In A Future Age

14.Passenger Side

15.So Much Wine (The Handsome Family)

16.Spiders

17.A Shot In The Arm

18.Heavy Metal Drummer

19.Jesus, Etc...

20.I'm The Man Who Loves You

21.Someone Else's Song (No P.A.)

22.Acuff-Rose (No P.A.)

(thanks to poster in other thread for set list)

I can't wait to hear a recording of this show.

Here is the setlist, posted in Just a Fan:

Jeff Tweedy

12-27-09

Phoenix, AZ

Orpheum Theater

1.Sunken Treasure

2.Remember The Mountain Bed

3.Please Tell My Brother

4.Hummingbird

5.Country Disappeared

6.Ruling Class

7.I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

8.Bob Dyaln's 49th Beard

9.You And I

10.Muzzle Of Bees

11.How To Fight Loneliness

12.Impossible Germany

13.In A Future Age

14.Passenger Side

15.So Much Wine (The Handsome Family)

16.Spiders

17.A Shot In The Arm

18.Heavy Metal Drummer

19.Jesus, Etc...

20.I'm The Man Who Loves You

21.Someone Else's Song (No P.A.)

22.Acuff-Rose (No P.A.)

Jeff joked all night about his sister being there and how he played the show to pay for the trip to see her for the holidays.

I have been joking with my daughter, using almost the same words, since the show was announced. "Honey, just let me carry on a couple of acoustics and the trip is payed for."

Nice for you all. I'd love to see him solo again one day.

If someone would like to take the wav file of this show, eq and track it I can upload it to yousend or megaupload. I have papers to write so I won't be getting to it for a bit. You might want to use a little hiss reduction as it was an extremely quiet show, so there's a slight hiss in the quieter parts. Not bad, just slightly noticeable. Acuff rose turned out ok, but Someone Else's Song it barely audible. Anyways, let me know.

Thanks, Luke

I only heard encouraging at the last two songs.

Jesus etc. wasn't in the last two songs, so that would be another time. In fact the sing along during Jesus etc. was damn beautiful. What's wrong with people quietly singing along to the songs? Talkers, cell phone freaks and other distractions are certainly unaccaptable but singing along, really? We need permission and to be prompted and only then we can sing along?

Jesus etc. wasn't in the last two songs, so that would be another time. In fact the sing along during Jesus etc. was damn beautiful. What's wrong with people quietly singing along to the songs? Talkers, cell phone freaks and other distractions are certainly unaccaptable but singing along, really? We need permission and to be prompted and only then we can sing along?

ok, Jesus, etc. I only remember Jeff encouraging singing on one song. What's wrong with people singing to the songs is

1) They are not "quiet"

2) They are not on key

3) They are not Jeff Tweedy.

I paid money for my tickets too & that was so my wife and I could enjoy hearing Jeff Tweedy play a solo set in a nice theater.

ok, Jesus, etc. I only remember Jeff encouraging singing on one song. What's wrong with people singing to the songs is

1) They are not "quiet"

2) They are not on key

3) They are not Jeff Tweedy.

I paid money for my tickets too & that was so my wife and I could enjoy hearing Jeff Tweedy play a solo set in a nice theater.

lol Jeff is rarely on key himself but I get it. Not looking for an argument. It just reminded me of the people who didn't like the fact that I was standing at the Tucson show. They were also looking for a relaxing night out and argued since they paid for their seat it was rude for people to be standing at a rock concert. Apples and oranges I know. It sucks being around people who don't know how to enjoy themselves. The talkers are the worst but I must say it was quiet at last nights show. I really appreciated the lack of conversation and the focus on Jeff.

loud singers are the absolute worst. i will never ever understand how they dont see that every single person around them is being quiet and they continue like they are pavarotti or some shit.

nothing can ruin a show like that. i mean you can actually feel the negative energy when someone pulls this crap.

Nice setlist. Looking it over makes me anxious for another solo show opportunity, and I'd especially like to hear Country Disappeared in a solo setting.

I was there as well. The person next to me sung quietly but otherwise, I heard no one else singing along with much of anything (except Jesus, and I was just happy to sing!). Which was totally a different vibe from a Wilco show, where I get the sense that Jeff would rather more people sing, as often as possible.

What a great show this was! I feel blessed, having seen Wilco and Jeff Tweedy within just over six months of each other. It was bliss hearing Impossible Germany, as well as Spiders, which had such a different arrangement - just a treat. I hope Wilco decides to play in Phoenix next time they're out (I would travel again to Tucson or wherever, but...Phx IS the capital, after all, and the most populated place in the state). I'm sure he saw what a great audience it was (and he said so several times).

an amazing show! crowd in my area (15th row/dead center) was silent except when encouraged to sing along with jesus, etc. i agree the show was a few songs shorter than i expected but what a blast. was thrilled when he announced a phx show and he certainly didn't disappoint.

btw, the gal didn't yell "you're a funky rock star" which jeff pretended to hear. the fact that he scolded her by "thanking" her for "dropping an f-bomb" in front of his kids let the crowd know he heard what she really said...